PDA

View Full Version : helicopter instructors

hencloud
16th Oct 2002, 21:35
Has it been worth it....?

ClearBlueWater
17th Oct 2002, 11:26
I too would very much like to hear some answers to this question. Currently I sit here with 200 hours and a CPL and am struggling to convince myself that another 100 hours plus instructors course in return for small change rewards is a sensible move.

All views gratefully heard.

whirlyflyer
18th Oct 2002, 04:49
I'm working towards my CFI myself, so take this with salt.

Personally, I'm looking foward to it, I think instructing will be rewarding both in terms of experience and in seeing new pilots learning the skill of flying helicopters.

Sure, the pay stinks, the hours are long, and some flight schools can be hard places to work, but the rewards outweight the problems as far as I'm concerned.

Being a CFI is not my end goal, but a stepping stone, but that doesn't mean I cannot enjoy those years and learn from them, while providing great instruction to the next generation of helicopter pilots. :)

Whirlyflyer

torque_meter
18th Oct 2002, 07:27
Is it worth it ?
yes it is ,to see people come back from a trial lesson with the biggest smiles on their faces and to see students learning new skills is great , unfortunately this does not pay the bills, but did you expect to get rich flying helicopters,you'd be better off driving trucks.
from newly qual fi(h) restricted
now thats the pain getting 25 send-offs before "supervision" is lifted:)

sierra-papa
19th Oct 2002, 04:23
has it been worth it?
definately yes! I still do it to some degree and still enjoy it. It keeps you on your toes and you can make a big impact on other peoples lifes. Some students can get a whole new meaning in their lives. That's not true for every student, but it's worth it for each one where it is. Being a FI challenges you on many levels not only the basic teaching of a skill. You create a pilots mind where human factors, risk management and leadership play major roles.
If you do it right even the pay is o.k. People pay me very well for quality instruction. Many FI's complain about he pay, but are not willing or motivated to put much effort into it eighter.
sp

Helisell
19th Oct 2002, 19:56
It sounds like you are not in love with helicopters and the people who want to learn to fly them. I am not an instructor, I am at soloing stage and would swap my highly paid, and fulfilling job, for that of a helicopter instructor. You make it all sound like a chore. Why did you learn to fly one of these incredible machines in the first place? The money? You were bored? What did you hope to get out of it? Surely the thrill of handling one of these engineering marvels and manipulating a mass of conflicting forces is sufficient thrill? Isnt it?
Regards
Herbie

Whirlybird
21st Oct 2002, 16:15
I have 290 hours; by early next year I hope to have the hours and the money to do the instructors course. One of my favourite occupations is taking people helicopter flying for the first time - and getting the "wow" factor back again myself through seeing them experience it. I love it when they ask questions too - even apparently simple ones that I then realise are extraordinarily hard to answer. I really enjoy it - and the idea of being paid to do that....

Will I still feel that way after the umpteenth trial lesson? Who knows, but it seems worth a try.

sierra-papa
23rd Oct 2002, 02:08
Whirlybird,

quote: Will I still feel that way after the umpteenth trial lesson? Who knows, but it seems worth a try...

It is well worth a try, and remember not all your flying is made up by trial lessons - if you do the trial lesson right then you recruite yourself a new long term student during that flight. Good luck!
sp

boffo
25th Oct 2002, 14:53
A new instructor writes:
Was it worth it? Yes - unquestionably. But, I couldn't live on what I earn from it, so I have to have another job :(

I get a buzz every time a trial lesson student says "That was fantastic!", or when a PPL student can do something at the end of lesson he/she couldn't at the beginning.

51 trial lessons and counting!