PDA

View Full Version : Translations of PA announcements

electricblue
16th Oct 2002, 12:57
Hi all , after flying with Swiss and being pretty impressed at the PA's being carried out in many languages - I would like to start doing the same on my flights.

Could anyone provide me with translations of the standard general annoucnements in French / Spanish or Italian ? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Stuff like the following and the usuals ;
--
Ladies and gentlemen welcome aboard your AIRLINE flight today to DESTINATION. My name is X and together with X and X we will be taking very good care of you for the duration of your flight with us today.

Its been a pleasure taking care of you etc...

-

azzamang
18th Oct 2002, 06:45
Basic Translation In French

Mesdames et messieurs souhaitent la bienvenue à bord de votre vol de (insert airline) aujourd'hui à la (DESTINATION). je m'appelle (yourname) et ainsi que (name 1) et (Name 2) nous prendrons soin très bien de vous pour la durée de votre vol avec nous aujourd'hui.

Basics:
Thanks= Merci
Your Welcome= Je vous en prie
how are you= comment Ca Va
Excuse me = Excuse-moi

Hope this helps

:D

Xenia
18th Oct 2002, 18:39
Email me PA's to be translated, and I can do it for you in both Italian and Spanish ;)

christep
19th Oct 2002, 04:14
Speaking as a pax fluent only in English, but reasonably OK in French, and knowing roughly what a number of other European langauges should sound like, I find it excruciatingly embarrassing on a large British Airline when I hear people trying to do announcements in languages in which they obviously have no competence whatsoever. I'm pretty sure to the French that it must sound like 'Allo 'Allo in reverse.

Certainly when I am on an obscure carrier in, say, China, if I hear an announcement in English then I will assume that someone in the cabin crew can converse in English. It causes much frustration and confusion to determine that they can't, so I would prefer that they hadn't bothered with the announcement in the first place (except for safety information)

Xenia
19th Oct 2002, 13:35
The world is a wonderful place because we all have different points of view.
I think that when making a PA in an X language pax feel very welcome, and they feel that we (Cabin Crew) and the Airline are walking that extra mile for them. As far as it is clear and understandable I don't see the reason why not to give to our customers that "little" attention.
But again, we all have different ideas, don't we? ;)

P.S. as far a safety is concern law says it is mandatory safety PA in the airline own language and in English.