PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Traditions (ties etc.)

Carlito
15th Oct 2002, 09:29
Reading a few First Solo threads I was reminded of mine last year.
I carrried a tie in my flight bag for weeks in the hope that I would be sent solo.
After the flight, I put it on, it was cut by the instructor, half was pinned up on the club notice board and the other half is still in my flight bag.
Is this still a common tradition in clubs? I've talked to students from other place where it is not done.
Carlito

Evo
15th Oct 2002, 09:45
My wife cut my credit card in half after mine.... ;) :rolleyes: :)

Grim Reaper 14
15th Oct 2002, 10:09
I was supposed to be thrown in the fountain. Got all ready i.e. got someone to look after my wallet etc. Never happened. Weird thing is that I was disappointed!:rolleyes:

expedite_climb
15th Oct 2002, 10:19
At my old club there are half dozen half cut ties above the bar from many years ago. Doesnt happen any more though. We used to make the cadets down a yard of ale....

Aerobatic Flyer
15th Oct 2002, 10:21
They had the same tie-cutting "tradition" at a club I used to fly from in Holland.

The Dutch are canny businessmen, though..... the poor unsuspecting student would show up not expecting to be sent solo, so without a tie. He'd be sent off solo, and on his return he'd have to buy a nasty polyester club tie, which the instructor would then cut off!

The students were all so elated that they fell for it.

The club must have made at least £10 profit on each tie!:rolleyes:

LowNSlow
15th Oct 2002, 16:20
Plying the instructor with ale seems to ring a bell :D

FWA NATCA
15th Oct 2002, 17:11
Back when I first soloed in the US they use to cut your shirt tail off and tack it to the wall of honor with your name, date, time, and acft.

Mike

QNH 1013
15th Oct 2002, 18:34
When I was last at Leicester, there were dozens of ties hanging on the walls around the bar. These seemed to be "first solo" ties and each one had the pilots name, first-solo, and the date written on the tie in white paint. At least it looked like paint. I thought it was a superb tradition (much better than being thrown in a fountain GR14). I wished they had done this at the club where I learnt to fly.
I assume you are expected to be formally dressed for your first solo at Leicester....
I'm hoping Mrs QNH will be doing her first solo before too long. I'm open to (polite) suggestions to help her celebrate the event.

Circuit Basher
15th Oct 2002, 19:07
After my first solo in Canada, I got drenched with a bucket of water (when the a/c was shut down and the door closed!!) - photo taken and added to rogues gallery on wall of club....

In UK after first solo - instructor said 'OK - well done' and walked to his car and departed!!!

Know which one will live in my memory the longest!!! ;) :D

knobbygb
16th Oct 2002, 09:38
Call me boring, but I was quite happy with a friendly handshake and 'well done' form the CFI. Any cutting off of parts of my clothing would have seem a little 'naff' and childish.

Actually, I did get a certificate signed by the instructor which I nearly threw away. I'm glad I didn't now. My daughter (age 7) has it on her wall and tells her friends how clever her dad is. She seems genuinley proud, which is nice.:)