PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude tests by Shearwater tng.

CGDVS
14th Oct 2002, 08:29
I have an assessment with Shearwater tng for the hope of becoming a ATCO. Is there anyone out there who can give me some info or any gen about this subject:confused:
Thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Oct 2002, 11:19
<<Is there anyone out there who can give me some info or any gen about this subject >>

I seriously hope that you know a little bit more about the subject than your posting suggests but good luck anyway.

flower
14th Oct 2002, 14:33
I assume you have read as much literature as you can on ATC and hopefully visited a unit at some point so understand what we do.

To prep yourself for assessments look at problem solving tests , tests on spatial awareness etc.

Sherewater is an independant organisation which I believe you pay to attend so the entry requirements may be very different from NATs .

Whatever good luck

tug3
14th Oct 2002, 23:31
Best thing you can do is take a trip to your local (major) airport and visit ATC there. (Don't be put off if its run by NATS. You can always say you're considering applying to them but want to check the job out first - they should accommodate you all the same). They'll be able to give you a few pointers and, more importantly, you'll get a chance to see if the job is right for you, never mind your being right for the job.

The aptitude stuff is all very well but at the end of the day you've either got it or you aint.

Good Luck

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Oct 2002, 15:29
Tug3 said: "The aptitude stuff is all very well but at the end of the day you've either got it or you aint. "

Wise words, indeed. It's quite amazing that after all the years I've been in the job nobody has yet found a way to determine that someone will be able to "make it" before they actually start their final OJT.. Even some well qualified ATCOs fail to make it at other units. What a bizarre job we're in!!

niknak
15th Oct 2002, 18:09
The aptitude tests at Shearwater are virtually the same as those utilised by NATS, and as were used by SERCo at Bailbrook.

At a former company where I was on the management side, (thankfully I saw the light and got back into a proper job:D ), we used to send ab initio candidates to CATC / Bailbrook, and subsequently Shearwater, for assesments.
In almost all cases, if the candidate was successful on the assesment, they would pass the course.

However, and it's a very big however, this didn't always mean that the candidate would make it to validation level as an atco.
I seem to remember approximately 30% of candidates not validating and going on to do non atc jobs, sometimes within aviation, sometimes not.

I accept that this also meant that 70% did make it, but you must be aware that the assesment is only the beginning of a very hard couple of years.:p

Just out of interest, are you paying for the assesment, or is your employer, and if you pass, who will be paying for the course. I only ask in case you're not aware of the possible financial implications.

LXGB
15th Oct 2002, 18:14
Hi CGDVS,
The format is about 45 minutes of multiple choice spatial awareness and reasoning tests. These are followed by computer based tests on clock codes, heading appreciation and Speed/Time/Distance calculations. Then a play on the simulator and an interview to determine what you know and what you've done to date.
They are conducted in a friendly relaxed atmosphere at STLs facility inside Dundridge College http://www.shearwatertng.com/ . Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

LXGB