PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Scottich ATC

dick badcock
13th Oct 2002, 23:23
Hi there. I am a pilot (and I dared to venture into the ATC forum!), I fly in and out of Scotland several times a week and have a few questions for you Scottish ATC guys and girls. PS! I am sure these questions have been asked before, but being a lazy pilot I just couldn't be bothered to search back through the history.

1. Why are we always asked to 'Squawk Ident' right after departure (this goes for handovers from Dublin and Belfast as well) Is the reason that there are so many airports in close proximity to each other?

2. Is it true that Scottish ATC workers work longer shifts at the screens (is it 2 hours at a time?) than other ATC controllers in the UK?

3. What is the reason for the 260 or below height restriction at MARGO and NEW? Is it because 129.22 or 134.77 are upper areas and we are to be handed off to 126.3 before entering a new upper area? Not a problem at night of course!

4. The speed limit points leading into Glasgow are far out and are passed at altitudes considerably higher than FL100. I have actually never reduced speed at these points as we are always told to maintain high speed, but would like to know what is the significance of these if they are never used? Especially since the charts also say that max speed below FL100 is 250.

5. Why is it that the audio quality from most Scottish frequencies is different (ie you sound like you are sitting in a tiny box!) from most other ATC centers? Someone once told me that the equipment you use (mikes) is from the second world war, although I took that as a joke!:)

Finally, my hat goes off to all of you; in my short experience (2 years) as a pilot flying the scottish skies, I have had nothing but excellent service from all.;)

DB

Findo
14th Oct 2002, 13:55
1. Discussed many a time before. Basically it is to validate the mode A, check the Mode c and validate the code callsign conversion on the radar display. Done differently at different ATC units because of differing equipment and rules with departure airports.

2. 2 hours is the maximum before a fatigue break. Some busier positions have reduced time before a break. Having fewer of those positions, Scottish ATCOs will possibly be in position longer at some units than others who have a larger number of consistently busy sectors.

3. FL260 at Margo and New gets you down under conflicting traffic and clear of sectors you need not penetrate if you follow that profile. That allows more efficient use of all the airspace - therefore no Flow Control and slots. It also allows the Talla sector(126.3), in particular, to get a better judgement of speed differences in the descent. As holding is not the routine, you are usually vectored against conflicting traffic and allowed to keep a high speed or speed restricted as necessary against the conflicting traffic. If it is not busy the height restrictions are often removed because the ATCOs on the other sectors have the ability to safely co-ordinate your descent leaving you at higher levels. You will often transit another sector's airspace without having to contact that sector because the ATCOs have agreed a co-ordination to allow it to happen. Not possible in more complex traffic scenarios. The high level traffic situation varies enormously each day because of the variable position of the North Atlantic Oceanic tracks.

4. The speed points are also tied up with internal standing agreement levels for climbs and descents into and out of the TMA. The fact is that the traffic handling is more dynamically done and levels and speeds are allocated according to how the traffic fits against conflicting inbound, outbound or overflying traffic. If all else fails we can always revert to the "standard" speeds and levels which try to deconflict the traffic criss crossing the TMA.

5. There should be no reason for poor quality. The headsets are pretty new and the R/T equipment is kept up to date. We do regularly transmit on multiple frequencies on multiple sites and some of our sectors are geographically huge by comparison to most others in the UK.

Thanks.

If you want to come see the operation just let us know. The door is always open to professionals.