PDA

View Full Version : Saa Cadets Return From Ozzzz ..

Gunship
12th Oct 2002, 12:24
Link (http://www.airnews.co.za/showstory.asp?id=306)

SAA Cadets return: October - 2002

AFTER BEING based in Adelaide, Australia, for several years, the South African Air-ways’ (SAA) Cadet Pilot Training Programme has returned to South Africa.

Training will now be done at the 43 Air School, outside Port Alfred, to stimulate economic growth in the Eastern Cape, recognised as one of the most dis-

advantaged provinces. The aim of the move is to develop local skills and lower the cost of training each student thus enabling SAA to train more cadets for the same budget.

It previously cost the airline R700 000 to train one pilot. To date, 58 students have graduated from the programme since it was launched, under controversial circumstances, in 1996.

Introductory courses have long been provided by 43 Air School to chosen cadets before they continued the second phase at BAe Systems Flight Training Australia (formerly known as Australian Aviation College).

A statement released by SAA last month said that the airline’s contractual obligations to BAe would be honoured. The last 30 cadet pilots were expected to graduate from the BAe facilities within the next two years, it said.

“The intention of the airline has always been to have the programme brought back to South Africa once an appropriate school could be found. Although none of the flight schools in South Africa is on a par with the BAe facility, one was sought with the most potential of eventually reaching that level,” the statement said.

“Conditions of the tender were drawn up and a number of potential flight schools visited and investigated by our team. The selection was narrowed down to two schools, 43 Air School and Flight Training College of Africa (FTC), based in Midrand, Gauteng.

“The tender to train 32 students over a period of 62 weeks per group of 16 was eventually awarded to 43 Air School in July. It was found that the chosen school best suited the high standards required to train and develop a pilot,” the statement added.

The programme began in January 1995 when the first 12 cadets started preparatory training in South Africa. Flight training began in May that year at the Australian Aviation College in Adelaide, Australia. Eight cadet pilots graduated at a “Wings” ceremony in Adelaide on September 6, 1996. They began flying for SAA in October 1998.

Since its inception, 58 cadets have successfully completed the programme. Twenty-nine are currently flying for SAA, while 27 are still completing their internship with South African Express, South African Airlink and Rossair.

Thirty-one initially began flying for SAA, but one died at the beginning of the year and another resigned three months ago.

El Peligroso
13th Oct 2002, 22:16
The SAA cadet program is a political waste of money propagated by the racist ANC regime.
:mad:

AfricanSkies
15th Oct 2002, 14:51
The ANC racist regime....too right.

These cadets, no longer wanted by SAA, are now being farmed out to smaller companies who are being forced to take them in the name of political expediency.

From previously disadvantaged to affirmatively, nepotistically advantaged..from the sublime to the ridiculous...

How ADVANTAGED do you need to be??

Surely having your entire Comm & frozen ATP, and all your accomodation, and all travel expenses PAID FOR is enough to advantage you sufficiently?

Level the playing field. OK, they've had their training paid for. Now let them get out there and find work themselves. Just like everyone else has to. Why find them jobs as well? To the DISADVANTAGE of every other Joe who has scrimped and saved and sweated and begged and scraped for work?

I, and I'm sure that most pilots, being the competitive over-achievers that they are, have no respect for those who are handed everything on a plate.

:rolleyes: :mad:

Kurtis Chukle Willis
16th Oct 2002, 11:45
I attended the BAE air school in Adelaide about 3 years ago ,and was amused by the stories told by the instructors about the SAA cadets and their great flying abilities , failue rates etc. I overheard a few of them saying that it was a disgrace that they had to fly for Rossair and like but they would probably have command on the B1900 after 6 months - ha ha ha ha !!!

Slomo
20th Oct 2002, 22:37
Wow, thos are some hard words chaps!

Sure, we all worked hard and sweated our bit to get to where we are, so some aggression may be normal.

Should the anger not be directed to the institutions that make the programs possible rater than the individuals that apply? Tell you what, if this program was availble when I started my 'sweating', I surely would have applied - especially if it was a company that had the right equiptment and salaries.

Would you have ignored such an opportunity?

:eek:

SonicVIPER
21st Oct 2002, 04:41
Most "sweaters" probably would have applied and been thankful for the endowment. However, I think what perterbes most hard working SA pilots about this issue is the attitude of these individuals after they have "earned their wings" and been flying with the feeders or SAA for a while . The minority acknolwedge and are thankful for the blessing they acquired through this scheme but then there are those arrogant fellows who become backstabbers in the airlines. I know of a captain for SAA who happened to do a flight to Atlanta while Sun 'n Fun was running down in Florida. He invited all of his flight deck crew along. The FO was of the previous "disadvantaged" era and he declined the offer from the captain. The captain, obviously shocked as to why this pilot had absolutely no interest in one of the coolest airshows in the US, querried the FO why he didn't want to go. His reply was that he wasn't interested in seeing aircraft at airshows.

The the captain asked him what his interests are...

The reply? "Soccer" ...

:rolleyes:

AfricanSkies
21st Oct 2002, 07:41
Slomo, you're right. ("Should the anger not be directed to the institutions that make the programs possible"). But not that they make the programs possible. The programs for the airlines are normal. But when the airlines cannot offer them employment once they are trained, the politicians shouldn't be turned to to force smaller outfits, who have their own training and recruitment programs, to take them on.

What should happen is that the responsible people at SAA should be called upon to provide account why, after spending so much money training the cadets, and being aware throughout the entire period of training that these people had to be integrated into the airline upon completion of that training, there were no plans made for such an integration.

Sure, I would have jumped at an opportunitity to join a cadet scheme when I started flying. I would be a liar if I denied that.
The cadets are actually in the middle of this furore. What gets my goat is this affirmative coercion, this empowerment pressure.

Look at this mining charter. R100-billion worth of assets in the mining industry to be under black control within 10 years. The ostensible reason presented by Mzi Khumalo is so that the normal black guy in the street has a chance to benefit from the mining industry. Well, it's a free stock market. Anyone may buy shares in any listed company. Why force companies to hand over stock at a discount ? The only people it enriches are the black elite who jump at these empowerment opportunities, and get out as quickly as possible, making as much money as possible. How does that benefit the average man in the township? It doesn't.

If SAA hasn't made provision to employ its own cadets at the end of their training, heads should roll at SAA as the program obviously hasn't been efficiently managed. But heads won't roll, excuses will be made and to avoid uproar, jobs will be found for these cadets, using political leverage, even if others have to suffer.

It is not right.

Whitebug-speed
21st Oct 2002, 19:26
What about those who get on to the cadet course because their dads a captain at SAA ? Where's the fairness in that ?:confused:
Disadvanteged I don't think so.

Some of us shouldn't be too critical, for not long ago black people were not allowed to pilot aircraft in this country !

gearupgone
24th Oct 2002, 17:43
What about those who get on to the cadet course because their dads a captain at SAA ? Where's the fairness in that ?
Disadvanteged I don't think so.

Don't ever criticise these Cadets!
NO ONE on the courses were from homes any more economically "disavantaged" than your average pilot in civvy street today.

No one got on the course "because their dad.........." They applied and were accepted the same as anyone else - and in one instance, the parent never knew about the application untill the candidate was successfull. They were successfull because they were "plane mad" and the best candidates.

The selection process was always flawed - the criteria used for the initial selection was too stringent, so the non-white candidates who made it came mostly from privately educated backgrounds - and aviation interest was never even considered. When a prospective cadet was asked why he decided to become a pilot (he had a tertairy education in an unrelated field) - the reply was "I saw the add for a job in the Sunday Times and the money was good".

If anyone is to blame for the Cadet Program - look to the politicians. That is clear if you look at the career paths of the pilots who have been closely involved with the program. They have left SAA - the writing is on the wall.

For those who never made it to the Cadet program - don't whine. You are not alone - go out and make it happen. It never ceases to amaze how South African's complain - if you don't like it, do something else or leave.

Don't complain about the "lucky ones". You make your own luck - through HARD WORK.What about those who get on to the cadet course because their dads a captain at SAA ? Where's the fairness in that ?