PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Group

LowNSlow
11th Oct 2002, 14:11
As FNG and myself tried and failed to start a group around a Fairchild Argus I thought it might be better to find out what aircraft people would like to form a group around.

Option 1 - PFA vintage 2 seater £12-15k (eg Aeronca Champ, Piper Cub, Luscombe etc) £12-14k

Option 2 - PFA modern 2 seater £25-50k (eg Europa, Vans, Zodiac etc)

Option 3 - C of A 2 seater £20-30k (eg C152, Katana, ARV Super 2 etc, Bolkow Junior, Tomahawk etc)

Option 4 - C of A 4 seater £20-40k (eg C172, PA-28, AA-5A, TB9 etc)

Option 5 - Aerobatic type £20-60k (eg Pitts S1/2, Cap 10, Chipmunk, Bulldog, Slingsby T61 etc)

Option 6 - "Exotic" type £20-???? (eg Argus, Broussard, Beech 18, Chipmunk, DC3 etc)

Alternatively, feel free to add suggestions :)

FlyingForFun
11th Oct 2002, 14:26
Ooh, one of each please!

Actually, that's probably a little excessive. All I'd really want is one of Option 1 for good-weather flying, one of Option 5 for serious fun, and one of Option 4 (preferably retractible and with a wobbly prop, and kitted out for IMC) for when I need to get somewhere. Oh, and one of Option 6 for shows, fly-ins, etc.

Unfortunately, the problem with all of these is the same as the reason I wasn't seriously interested in the Argus, and why I'm not interested in the DC3. Money. I can't afford another aircraft right now, even if the "perfect" aircraft were to become available.

FFF
---------------

Genghis the Engineer
11th Oct 2002, 14:41
Currently I'm in 4 and happy, but could be easily tempted by 2, so long as I wasn't going to have to spend several years building it first.

I'm also currently talking to some friends about Option 7 being an incredibly cheap single seat microlight worth about £3k between half a dozen of us. That comes out at about £500 each, and at a small strip (you don't need more than 300m runway for something like this) probably £5/mth tie-down, £5/mth fixed overheads, and £10/hr petrol. Current favourite aircraft is an MW5, I fancied an MW7 but several of the other possible conspirators don't have SEP licenses, which limits us to microlights.

G

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/flylight/images/Misc/MW5_closed.gif

LowNSlow
11th Oct 2002, 14:51
Appreciate your point FFF, go get that pay rise. Try harder :D :D

Sounds like a cunning plan there Genghis. That really is affordable flying. It amazes me that people spend a fortune hourbuilding when there are aircraft like the MW7, VP1 etc available for well under £5k.

Rod1
11th Oct 2002, 15:10
L&S,

Where are you expecting the group to be based?

Rod

Whipping Boy's SATCO
11th Oct 2002, 15:16
Option 2 for me, option 4 for me, the dog and the wife. Either way, quite interested.

BlueRobin
11th Oct 2002, 16:33
I would go for

Option 1 - Cub for bimbling and strip fun

Option 2 - Europa for speedy touring

Oh, anyone want to get involved with a Europa group at Wellesbourne? If so, contact me.

Aerobatic Flyer
11th Oct 2002, 17:28
I'm looking for a 3-plane group in South East France, consisting of:

1. Something aerobatic - a Pitts would be ideal.
2. A Jodel D140 Mousquetaire for touring, carrying lots of people and flying to rough strips.
3. One of these. (http://www.zenulm.com/Sinus/gliding.jpg) An unfortunately named machine, which takes off in 100m, cruises at 130kts, has a 29:1 glide ratio and costs about £45k.

LowNSlow
11th Oct 2002, 23:51
Rod1 for me to be involved in a group it would have to be around N. London, Herts, Beds area but part of the reason behind the post was to get people to propose groups in the area they want.

Aerobatic Flyer sounds like a neat wish list and yes, the aeroplane does have an unfortunate name :D

My personal preferance is the Broussard. Big round 450hp engine. Built like the proverbial outhouse, can live outside keeping hangarage fees down and can operate from short fields. Simple construction so easy to maintain. A tad challenging to handle (so I've been told) but then again so is an Auster and I can't get 6 bods in mine :D
PS they are relatively cheap too, usually around the £15-20k mark for a good un.
PPS Anybody up for it??

Alternatively, Chuck Ellsworth has mentioned a Beech 18 at North Weald which is up for sale.........

Crossedcontrols
12th Oct 2002, 15:16
If there were enough people I might be interested in the Broussard. There is possibly room at our strip ( new hanger), not sure if the the noise would put the kybosh on it.
I'm a neigbour of yours LNS
CC

skydriller
12th Oct 2002, 16:43
Aerobatic Flyer,

I like the list, especially the first two, now if you were in the South WEST of France, I would definitely start scrounging around for more Euros..;) :D

Regards, SD..

Aerobatic Flyer
13th Oct 2002, 22:15
SD

Where's the problem? Let's buy a Pitts and a Mousquetaire. One month, you have the Pitts and I have the Mous, next month we meet somewhere in central France and swap!:D

AF

LowNSlow
13th Oct 2002, 23:18
Crossedcontrols how close a neigbour?

I've heard that big radial engines are really quiet :cool: :cool:

Rod1
14th Oct 2002, 13:36
L&S

Good luck with the radial, I did not know you owned an oil company! They do sound wonderful though.

I am involved in expanding a group from 3 to 5 people, based in the Midlands.

Good luck with yours,
Rod

I have control
14th Oct 2002, 23:17
Option 1 every time. Cheap to acquire, operate, insure, maintain. Great flying. Classy airplane looks. History. Plus IMHO, in a country the size of Britain cruising speed is not a major factor. You could fly from Land's End to John O Groats in a Cub in a day.

Crossedcontrols
15th Oct 2002, 08:02
LowNSlow

5nm @ 105 T from your airfield.

Regards
CC

PS Pardon, the ones I've heard (at Little Gransden are bloody noisy)