PDA

View Full Version : A new an innovative product to improve safety ?

buster172
11th Oct 2002, 00:04
Hello and thank you in advance for reading this post.

Having posted previously on PPrune and receiving an excellent response I though I would ask for your help one final time.

I have just started my Honours year in Industrial Design and would like to design a new product for the aviation market.

I would like to concentrate on safety as I feel this is a very important issue that affects us all in aviation and would like your views and thoughts as to areas that require attention.

Previously I developed a kneeboard for the private market after posting for research on PPrune and receiving many excellent and informative posts. I would be interested in developing this further or tackling another cockpit related issue. However at this early stage I am open to suggestions concerning absolutely any area, airfields, passengers, aircraft, security, cockpit management, etc.

I would welcome views from anyone with in the industry.

Any information at all would be hugely appreciated, as this is a very important year for me!

Thanks again for reading my post, I look forward to any suggestions you may have.

Regards,

Buster

:)

jsf
11th Oct 2002, 09:38
Hi Buster

First off, I'd be interested to see your kneeboard with a difference. Do you have a website or just a series of jpgs you could send.

Idea. Not strictly cockpit safety. A versatile method of being ableto selectively remove instruments from a students view without the need to carry a large quantity of rubber cups.

Before you all shout POST IT NOTES. NO! I've tried them and don't like them!

Something more effective and cheaper than the current suctuion cup things

Just a thought

jsf

buster172
11th Oct 2002, 15:19
Hi JSF,

Thanks for your reply and idea, I will look into it and add it to my list of possibilities. It's interesting becasue speaking to another instructor he asked about the possibility of correcting for parralex error when teaching coordination.

I imagine instructors must have many small problems like these that add up to increase your workload.

With regard to the kneeboard I designed. I am flattered you remember ! :D

I dont have a website, its another one of those to do things on my very large list, however I do have some Jpegs of the final concept that I could send you. It became two products in the end. One a way to increase storage and the other, a more efficent way to store and retrieve information.

Or at least I would like to think it was ! :D

I would be very pleased to send you some images. If you can give me a few days I will do my best to get them to you, if I figure out how to post them directly here I will do that also.

Thanks again for your reply, I hope its the first of many.

Regards,

Buster

Ludwig
11th Oct 2002, 15:52
A handheld/portable transponder with mode c and s

VORTIME
11th Oct 2002, 18:18
Hi -

What about a proper joke mount for an iPAQ eqipped with a GPS. As it is now, there are too many wires, atennas, power cables and the cable input from the GPS to the iPAQ or other PDA is very unreliable since it's not properly secured.

Even better, a single unit that attaches to the yoke that include internal power source, gps atenna and accepts the iPAQ via a sleeve?

VT

buster172
16th Oct 2002, 09:26
Ludwig and VORTIME,

Thanks very much for your posts.

I have been looking into increasing aircraft visibility, but taking it more literally than maybe I should.

The idea of a portable transponder would be something I may be able to include in aon overall system.

VORTIME,

I am going to be brave here, I dont know what you mean by a iPAQ ? I understand the issue with the wires and proper security for portable devices in the cokpit.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what iPAQ stands for ? :o

Thanks again,

Buster

Michael Whitton
23rd Oct 2002, 03:20
something forcing my student to keep his hand on the gear leaver untill he gets three green....... a big wad of aviation grade masking tape or something :p

realistically there is probaby very little you will be able to do in the way of aviation safety in the cockpit that has not already been looked over millions of times. Something to stop paralax error when teaching co-ordination.. well if an instructor cannot tell if the aircraft is in balance without the balance ball something is going amiss.

I think the most useful thing that could be developed CHEAPER for the GA market is the TCAS system. They are quite expensive and operating out of the bussiest airport in the southern hemiphere they could save alot of lives if they were made cheaper for general use. See and avoid is just a way to remove the responsibility from ATC.

can't really think of anything else. There is to much of a mentality in the industry to not cause a fus and go AS IT IS of SHE'LL BE RIGHT

buster172
28th Oct 2002, 10:47
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I wonder, you say that

"realistically there is probaby very little you will be able to do in the way of aviation safety in the cockpit that has not already been looked over millions of times"

and

"There is to much of a mentality in the industry to not cause a fus and go AS IT IS of SHE'LL BE RIGHT"

This is exactly why I want to look into this area ! :D

I have been thinking about a system that improves the pilots situational awareness. A means of getting information across in a more direct way. An easier way for the pilot to understand, or relate the information the instruments are showing to the flight.
I dont know exactly how yet, I am still researching, but have been thinking about how I could make TCAS link in with it. If you feel this could have a real benefit, I'll look in to it some more.

Thanks again for you reply, it has put my poject into context, thats really good.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Buster