PDA

View Full Version : "standard arrivals"?

LRdriver
8th Oct 2002, 16:26
Hello,
just a quick question, a few days ago I did a flight in my Lr60 from EGCC down to EGKK. no probs there, smooth flight and all, but..
we were not issued an arrival and when we queried it after being given a few directs, we were told that when NOTHING was said a "standard arrival" should be flown..What the h*ll is a standard arrival?
As a corporate pilot we tend not to do the same airport 25 times a day so this was a bit worrying. We told him that it was my first time here (well, in 6 months anyway..usually luton or stansted for us limo-drivers..) and he sighed and gave us the STAR+transition.

Is this written anywhere, or just a simple oversight from a slightly busy ATCO?

a confused Lrpilot..:confused:

eyeinthesky
9th Oct 2002, 09:23
Suggest it was an oversight. The instructions are that the first London Control sector to which a flight speaks should give routing information, including a STAR if there is one and if the flight is landing in the London FIR. I imagine you went direct from Manchester Control to London Terminal Control, and they do not always have time to pass full routings.

As part of your flight planning, however, the STAR charts for Gatwick should give you some clue as to what to expect. It's a Willo something-or-other, to be level FL 150 so many miles before MID.

2 six 4
9th Oct 2002, 11:22
If you've listened to the ATIS and looked at your charts why woldn't you know the STAR ?

Direct HALIFAX
9th Oct 2002, 14:11
I would have expected part of the pre-flight breifing to have included arrival procedures at destination airport - especially one of the London airports.

Is this a common trend amongst the corporate sector of the industry ??

LRdriver
9th Oct 2002, 16:11
Ok,
before this turns into a pissing contest, let me point out that the directs and route given were nowhere near the routing filed by my ops! So obviously my briefing was in vain. It happens very regularly that the route given by ATC has no relevance to the route "accepted" by the stupid computers in brussels, so what do you do, refuse to fly or take the shortcuts given by the usually very helpful ATC (who, rightly, also see the insanity of some decisions made by brussels..)
I am just asking because I would rather be safe than sorry considering the density of traffic in the london area..

..sorry for asking, guys
:(

Hew Jampton
9th Oct 2002, 18:24
..sorry for asking, guys LR, don't be sorry, you asked a perfectly reasonable question and I hope you have been able to extract some reasonable answers, such as "Suspect it was an oversight", from the other rubbish.

5milesbaby
9th Oct 2002, 21:56
LR, the routings given back by Brussels would be the standard ones we use every day in London. From Manch to Gatwick, there aint any alternatives, just the standard. I do agree though, that any Priv Jet shouldn't be given 'standard route' as there is no guarantee you know what it is. Never be sorry for asking either, its what PPRuNe is for, hopefully making the divide much closer.