PDA

View Full Version : Question about Maun, Botswana

FW190
8th Oct 2002, 14:29
Thinking about making the journey over to Botswana and had some questions. I couldn't find any answers in the old threads:
-I'm under the impression that the flying work in Maun is seasonal, if so, do pilots go on leave or do they hang around?
-where are some cheap places to stay?

Thanks in advance:

looser
8th Oct 2002, 19:31
F190 I'm also coming to Maun hopefully in February ,let's keep in touch.I hope there will be cheap places to stay because I won't be overloaded with money,if you find out anything please let me know.

FW190
9th Oct 2002, 12:18
Hey there looser!
I'm going to look into the price of campsites around town who may have reasonable rates.
I'm in money saving mode myself. Was thinking of showing up around January if the results of my latest job interviews are negative.
Give me a PM and let me know of any intell you may have and I'll keep you posted.

wheels up
10th Oct 2002, 07:47
The campsite at the Sedia Hotel costs 2 Pula a day (cheap!). You can spend the day chilling at the swimming pool after the morning job hunt. Bring a waterproof tent - when it rains it RAINS. Taxi to town costs a couple of pula and runs regularly. Be prepared to wait around for a month or more - it's who you know that counts. The Power Station in town used to offer FREE indoor (!) camping.

Be prepared to network on a nightly basis - gets pretty tiring after a month. Bring lots of suntan lotion!

FW190
10th Oct 2002, 12:41
Thanks wheels up.
Right now I have a full time job (non flying) that I would have to give up if I was to hang around Maun for months or more.
I guess hanging around for only a week or so (on vacation sort of) to show my face probably won't bring anything. Maybe I have to plan long term.