PDA

View Full Version : Old Warden Fly-Ins

vintage ATCO
8th Oct 2002, 11:50
The display season is now over and the aeroplanes are being tucked up for the winter but visitors are still welcome at Old Warden, subject to the airfield state. PPR essential. The 'landing fee' is the museum entry charge, children free.

However, we are having three formal fly-ins, formal in the sense we're telling people about them in advance. :)

They are:
Pumpkin Fly-In October 26
Christmas Pud Fly-In December 7
Father Christmas Fly-In December 21

Landing Fee for these days will be £5 per person but that includes museum entry, children free.

The restaurant will be open, as will the shop. Shuttleworth Christmas cards are really good this year, so is the 2003 calendar featuring paintings by Harry Hooker.

Conditions
The airfield will be unlicenced and its use is at your own risk.
No immediate fire cover available.
PPR essential 01767 627288
Only runway 03/21 is available for visiting aircraft, and only the northern 630M. The extension south of College Road, shown in most guides is not available.
Vehicles will be using College Road.
Fuel may be available but do check before relying on it.
For the three Fly-Ins above we will open the tower so 01767 627563 to check weather/airfield state.
Old Warden Information 130.7 MHz.

Christmas Festivities
The Collection Restaurant will be doing a Christmas Lunch on certain days in December for those that want to practice before the main event. Booking essential on 01767 627539.

--------------------------
vintage ATCO
www.stevelevien.com

LowNSlow
9th Oct 2002, 00:50
Steve, if I fly in can I swop a go in my Auster for a go in your Messenger?

vintage ATCO
9th Oct 2002, 07:10
It's not 'my' Messenger, it's not even the Collection's. I haven't seen it there for a while. :confused:

BlueRobin
9th Oct 2002, 10:39
Steve,

I believe Peter Holloway may have sold his Messenger AKBO. Still has the Falcon and the Maggie.

Read next month's issue of Pilot for an interesting read on all three aircraft.

BlueRobin
9th Oct 2002, 14:11
PH = bottieburp

vintage ATCO
9th Oct 2002, 17:03
Ah ha!

Yes, I'd already worked out the PPRuNe id!:D

TheKentishFledgling
9th Oct 2002, 17:08
Steve,
Will talk to Steve R about making it to one of these - you know I've been trying to get there for ages - I have a feeling one of these dates could be the one :D

tKF (aka Ed!)

SteveR
9th Oct 2002, 20:30
Are *all* the aeroplanes tucked up for the winter?, even for the Oct 26th Pumpkin fly-in?

O-W is definitely on my list of places that I will go to one day - but the lure of a Merlin's song would make it much more likely to be this year.

Steve R

vintage ATCO
9th Oct 2002, 21:26
There may be some test flying still and something may be going to Duxford on the 13th but I doubt there'll be anything flying on the 26th.

You'll just have to make Merlin noises when you walk round the hangars! :D

TheKentishFledgling
9th Oct 2002, 21:33
Steve - is the Mew Gull still at OW?

That's an aeroplane I'd love to see in the flesh :D

tKF

Lowtimer
10th Oct 2002, 08:11
TKF,

Pretty sure the Mew Gull has now gone to its new home at Breighton.

Who has control?
10th Oct 2002, 09:02
OK, Saturday 21st it is! (weather permitting of course). Its a long time since I've been to Old Warden and I've never flown in there.

The £5 landing fee per pax - do reindeer have to pay too? :)

vintage ATCO
10th Oct 2002, 12:07
The Mew Gull and Arrow Active were sold by Desmond Penrose and both now reside at Breighton.

bottieburp
11th Oct 2002, 12:18
Messenger G-AKBO has been sold - currently airworthy at Turweston but probably going down to the south coast before too much longer.

New Owners are - The Aerobook Company - [email protected]

Real Miles enthusiasts who seem to be amassing a pile of Messenger bits.

I am sure that a ride could be arranged with them - happy to do the 'driving'.

Maggie and Falcon will certainly be out on the fly-ins WP - don't be too shy to ask for a ride.

The Maggie is a joy. Falcon has no dual controls/ single pilots seat up front.

In addition to the next issue of Pilot, FLyPast will be featuring the Falcon in the Feb issue - out Jan 1st.

THe Falcon has a fascinating history, served throughout the war in the Swedish Air Force - operated on skis as an air taxi - etc. etc. Great photos have surfaced.

Drop dead gorgeous machine or what??!!

Who has control?
11th Oct 2002, 14:44
Bottieburp - would love a ride in either of them -

I've some piccies of the Falcon & Maggie at North Weald last month - do you want copies??

bottieburp
11th Oct 2002, 15:56
WHC

I have plenty of really nice professional pictures of both (wait till you see the forthcoming magazine pictures!) but would love to see yours. Please bring them along.

You never know, you just might get your arse in the air.

BB

Fly Stimulator
22nd Oct 2002, 09:38
This thread seems to have gone a little quiet. I'm intending to fly in to Old Warden on Saturday, weather gods permitting of course.

Anybody else from here going?

bottieburp
22nd Oct 2002, 11:06
Flying vistors are always welcome at OW - call 01767 627288 and listen to the brief.

For an organised fly-in I am sure that a proper guided tour could be arranged. Ths takes you behind the scenes and the barriers.

It is a special place and a must for anybody with even the remotest interest in old planes.

FOr the kids and maybe less enthusiastic partners there is always the superb new kids adventure playground (absolutely free!) - the Falconry Centre and the Swiss Gardens.

Accomodation is always possible on site and a lot cheaper than you might think.

Call The Shuttleworth Lodge on 01767 626200 to check it out.

THere are rooms in the old Mansion, with separate bathrooms (huge deep baths, torrential showers!) and wonderful views. If you like things a bit more comfortable then there is the Chris Smart Suite. All romms are en-suite.

A great weekend break at little money.

You can arrange a formal function there too if you want. THey often have wedding parties there.

BB

Stampe
22nd Oct 2002, 16:16
A really great venue truly part of our wonderful aviation heritage, very centrally located.These events could become unofficial Pprune fly ins??.I,m going to try and get them all in the trusty Rodnoc may even overnight and imbibe!!.Just hope all this rain thats hitting the South East isn,t going to waterlog the grass fields to soon this winter.

Who has control?
2nd Dec 2002, 11:34
Back up to the top :)

Vintage ATCO - any news on the state of the Old Warden strip?

I'm hoping to get the fly-in on the 21st and I was wondering what state it is in after the 4th wettest November on record.

Fly Stimulator
2nd Dec 2002, 12:27
I was about to ask the same thing wrt this Saturday's event.