PDA

View Full Version : Gliding launch sites on the half-mil charts

Evo
6th Oct 2002, 11:34
Anyone else find gliding sites hard to spot on the half-mil charts? I've missed them before when planning routes (all you glider pilots feel free to shout now! :) ) and yesterday Thame was added to the list. On the way up to Sywell we saw a couple of gliders and spotted the runway on the ground, but I was looking for Westcott at the time - started thinking WTF?!? we shouldn't be there yet, looked at the chart and there was Thame, but I completely missed it when planning the route...

Microlights get a small bold circle with a 'M' in it - nice and visible, just like non-ATZ airfields like Popham - but the glider G with it's 1nm circle just seems to disappear into the background all too easily. Compare the visibility of Lasham to Colemore Common. Which is easier to spot, and which is (far) more important to know about? Anyone else, or is it just me...? And if it's not just me, who can I suggest a change to?

off to check my glasses now... :rolleyes: :)

bookworm
6th Oct 2002, 17:41
Evo

Yes, me too. I missed Edgehill on a trip yesterday -- it doesn't show up well. Perhaps they could use colour of some sort to make them (and FF parachuting sites) stand out better.

As for whom should be told, try DAP Aeronautical Charts (http://www.caa.co.uk/dap/dapcharts/default.asp).

Min Sink
6th Oct 2002, 20:18
I agree they don't stand out very clearly. I think they should make the circle bold or at least add a bold circle round the G like on older maps.