PDA

View Full Version : Removing 'Restricted' on FI(A)

Irv
6th Oct 2002, 08:58
Just wondering if there is any consistency around FTOs and RFs when it comes to removing the 'restricted' tag from FI(A)s? I know all about the consistency of the 100 hours, 25 solos, etc. but are some schools then making it (almost) automatic for removal with those under the belt or do different CFIs or supervising FIs try and do some sort of assessment and 'improvement plans' before recommendation for removal of 'restricted'? Do 'restricted' FI(A)s EXPECT automatic upgrade and see it as a right?

MJR
7th Oct 2002, 10:09
The removal of the restriction is a CAA ruling and nothing to do with the individual FTO's.

ttfn

MJR

Irv
7th Oct 2002, 17:43
>>and nothing to do with the individual FTO's.

I'm sure the removal is a CAA task, but I thought the application had a section showing the supervising FI(A) RECOMMENDED the removal of restriction. I'm trying to find out if this (in reality) is an automatic formality at every school, some schools, no schools.

MJR
8th Oct 2002, 10:04
Irv

I'm sure that if the school couldn't recommend you then they wouldn't employ you. So yes, I guess this informally is an automatic process.

ta ta

MJR;)

Irv
9th Oct 2002, 10:27
>"I'm sure that if the school couldn't recommend you then they wouldn't employ you. "

That would be a pretty sad endictment of the UK scene if 100% true! "Sorry Mr or Ms restricted FI, you need improving in this respect and that respect, obviously we could help you sort that out but we'll just sack you and start again with someone else!".
:(

However, I'll take it you were talking about extremes rather than way I've exaggerated it there (or I hope you were) !

>"yes, I guess this informally is an automatic process. "

Wonder if any 'chickens will come home' in years to come? :(

DB6
9th Oct 2002, 19:07
It's in a school's interest to get the restriction removed so they are unlikely to add any further conditions to the process. In fact the minima specified by the CAA are quite sufficient for a fledgling FI(R) to gain the necessary experience and judgement to send people off on their first solos so I don't anticipate any roosting chickens - the process has been in place long enough for that to have happened if it was going to.
The school I was at when my restriction was removed made sure that I had recommended a few people for first solo, which a suitably qualified FI then approved, as part of my 'runup' to removal. I would be surprised if most places didn't do that.