PDA

View Full Version : Injuries and illness at work

Tart with the cart
4th Oct 2002, 16:51
Has anyone been injured whilst on duty? Or had a work related illness? I had a very minor injury when I twisted my ankle whilst the plane was in moderate turbulance but of course some cabin crew members have been badly injured or had serious illnesses.

eg:
the stewardess who had a bottle smashed over her head.
cabin crew no longer flying due to severe injuries.
the increased risk of cancer in air crew.

flapsforty
4th Oct 2002, 18:33
Hey Tart :) Why do you want to know? Not sure if my list is of interest, but hey... :)
Most of them my own fault anyway, wanting to do things too fast or not backing out of tricky stuff.

Numerous burn scars from hot oven skids and from pouring boiling water over my hands instead of into teapots.
Endless backaches from lifting little old ladies' 10 tonne handbags into luggage bins
Tennis elbow from elegantly serving heavy meal trays with porcelain across a wide business class seat
Battered face from getting in between a "tired & confused" passenger and the object of his desire.
Depression from being 100% neglected by the company afterwards.
6 stitches in my forehead after walking full speed into the short side of the loo door when a pax flung it open.
Malaria tropica
Assorted 3rd world "bellies"
Broken rib from stumbling while trying to step over a 1st class' paxs outstretched legs while he decided to retract them.
Severely bruised ego after dropping a tray with 18 glasses of fresh orange juice over a minister of the crown. :eek:
Sniffles most of the winter season from drafty & freezing cold AC in the early mornings and from standing at the door welcoming pax while freezing my b*tt of in my oh so charming and totally useless uniform.
Temporarily useless leg after being attacked by a meal trolley coming down the aisle at full speed after a colleague had forgotten to put on the brakes.

errmm... rather boring... :( yes, there's lots more but I won't tax your patience.
As I said, mostly (but not all ;) )my own fault because we generally work with good catering material, and I really could take it a bit slower without the company grinding to a halt! :)

cloud nine
5th Oct 2002, 07:51
I guess, it can be a very dangerous place for being injured in the work place. I have heard alot of really awful stories.

I'm always extremely careful, if it seems too turbulant and I dont feel comfortable moving around the cabin, I always go in and see the Captain straight away. And if Im chimed into my crew seat, I sit down ASAP.

I have only had minor cuts, scrapes, and the constant bruises. Ever since I have been flying, my legs and arms have always had 3 or 4 bruises on them. The first month of flying I had a permanent bruised knee. This was from closing the warbdrobe door with my leg after hanging the pax's coats.

Oh, I do get really sore feet, especially after a few long days in a row.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tex
16th Oct 2002, 16:06
Having been the Director of Safety of a US airline, I can say that the third most injured worker in the airline industry is the Flight Attendant.

This is mostly due to injuries received during turulence encounters. It is easy to pull up aircraft accidents and injuries on www.ntsb.gov. Search accidents by month, then look at Part 121 operations. You will be amazed how many turbulence injuries there are. I think it should be mandatory reading for flight deck and cabin crew, alike. There needs to be more turbulence awareness in our industry.

Cupid
16th Oct 2002, 18:44
I keep banging my head on the R2 door on the 737, silly really, but I keep forgetting to duck :D

Tex
22nd Oct 2002, 20:44
Cupid,

If I were your Director of Safety, I would have you wear a hard hat to humiliate you into remembering to duck. So, DUCK!

brit boy
22nd Oct 2002, 22:44
mmm Injuries at work!

* Permanent scar above left eye /due to bending down to reach the meal trays at the bottom and hitting my eye on the cart (my fault relly was being nice to a pax and chatting to them lol .)

* Depression _ long hours, no socal life, moving away from home.

* Burns - to many to list.

* sore feet

* tired all the time

But must love it cause im still flying :)