PDA

View Full Version : A346 rating

Cityliner
3rd Oct 2002, 17:14
Simple Question!
Is the type rating for the A346 just an additional training for active A343 or 342 pilots or do they need to make a new complete rating for the A345/6?

thanks in advance

Hand Solo
3rd Oct 2002, 21:28
I think I read that its just additional training to the A343, not a whole new type rating. I'm sure some of the VS drivers here could confirm (or deny) that.

Golf Tango Romeo
4th Oct 2002, 20:59
The A340-500 and 600 have both been awarded by the JAA the same type rating as the basic A330/A340. Therefore for pilots who are currently flying the A330/A340 can also fly the A3456 after going through a week's conversion course to familiarise themselves with the extra fuselage length and improved flight deck features.

tone-uncage-fire
5th Oct 2002, 03:25
Concur. Just, a differences course.

Im A346 rated and Ive only seen it once (and that was being towed at LHR).

The differences course involved a CD-ROM (about 4hrs to get through) and a 1 day 'differences course', followed by an written exam.

Kerosene Kraut
8th Oct 2002, 10:33
What are those additional flightdeck features GTR mentioned? Anybody please?

Golf Tango Romeo
8th Oct 2002, 20:18
The instrumentation and general layout of the A3456 cockpit looks no different from the A320, A330/A340. The standby instruments are now encompassed in one Smiths instrument rather than several. Another change is that the rudder system on this aircraft is electrical, with a mechanical backup, rather than the purely mechanical system found in the A330/A340. Also there are no two nose wheel steering systems rather than one. With regard to the stick, Airbus uses what it calls a "double notch" system to moderate responses to stick movement while in cruise. In other words, for the same input, roll, pitch, and yaw responses are less while in cruise, and single notch response is used for take-offs and landings to give more control authority for the same input when required, especially in pitch.