PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Union (Pappa Uniform)

pilotunion
3rd Oct 2002, 14:52
All aviators,
I would like to start a pilot union that serve the Commercial aviators in South Africa.This will range from the Contract companies to the Charter companies as well as engineers and admin staff employed by them.I want all non Airline aviators to be part of it.
Reading pprune I see nothing but a lot of unhappy aviators and very seldom you see a positive posting.Aviators get screwed around every coner and the only way to have a VOICE is to stand united.Owners of these companies get away with unbelievable things and nothing get done about it.There is unfair dissmissals,unfair employment contracts and training bonds etc.
The only way this can be successful is if the "Union" grow into something worth while and have the support of the aviators.For once maybe the industry can stand united.The service I plan to render will be the following but I would also like to have your inputs as to what you want the union to do for you, in order for you to join.I have the following in mind:
Help with employment contracts.Legal
Help to negotiate reasonable salaries and yearly increases.
Help to get your salary on time.
Help with unfair dismissals.Legal help
Help with training bonds.Legal
Promotion within the company.
Flight safety.
Rostering issues
Additional services will be:
Help with opening foreign bank accounts
Help with Insurance foreign and local
AS SAID THIS IS STILL JUST AN IDEA AND I WOULD LIKE YOU TO POP ME A MAIL OR REPLY ON PPRUNE AS TO:
Will it work.
Will you support it.
What do you want to get out of it.
Can we stand together.
How much would you pay for the service.
Suggested name.
My idea is that every member will pay a monthly fee determined by the members of which he will then get 25% back after either an amount of time spend with the Union or when he joins an airline union on employment with an airline, almost like an outbonus.
It will be run profesionally and only the best services will be called in in case of any disputes with companies.The Union will have a name and be at you dissposal at all times.
Please send me your ideas.

[email protected]

4granted
4th Oct 2002, 17:01
I would have thought that this topic would have had a more positive response by now?
What with all the complaining going on..
I think that its a good idea and where do we sign up?
I have not seen anybody who gives a S$%^&t for the contact guys.
I think that the "contract aviation " side of the industry has probably doubled in the last couple of years with all the upheavel in Africa and of course the recognition SA and local companies are getting from the likes of the UN and other NGOs. Not to mention the money that gets generated from Contract flying..US$$$..
I dont think that any of the excisting Unions do cater for these pilots.
The question is : Do you set up a new Union or do you go to the already exisiting Union(s) and ask to be include as a subdivision?

That might just be easier. Like that you might even get some better recognition and more support from the likes of ALPA and SAA.
They could of course just say: "You guys are Cowboys" go sort yourself out.
Oh well
E mail on its way....
4g

skyvan
4th Oct 2002, 20:48
If you contact ALPA-SA, they have been looking at setting up representation for non-airline pilots, under a lose umbrella kind of sub-division.

Generally, I feel that if your company employs more than 5 pilots, then you could probably justify setting up a "union", even if it is done in an informal manner. All employees need representation, just because there are only a few of you does not make negotiations easier.

And if you can get the benefit of an organisation such as ALPA, with all the experience, and backing of SAAPA, CPA etc, it cuts out the ballache of setting it up yourself.

You'd be surprised at the willingness of ALPA to help all aviation professionals in/from/of this country.

Good luck.