PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to arrive in Botswana on a job search

nonradio
2nd Oct 2002, 17:10
Can anyone in Botswana give any advice on what time of year would be good to arrive in order to look for a flying job (single engine, fixed or rotary). Clearly you have to be there to have a chance, but I am guessing there's a seasonal element to this.

looser
2nd Oct 2002, 22:40
Hi Noneradio,I have the same question too because I'm planning to go to Botswana.I'm planning to be there around March,I'm not sure if it's gonna be a good season but I need to save some money first.
I hope I'll meet you there,are you thinking of going to Maun?

nonradio
5th Oct 2002, 11:23
Hi Looser, it won't be this side of christmas for sure and I had imagined there would be a lot going on in Summer on the O. delta - flight seeing stuff with hopefully highish turnover of pilots. Hopefully I'll be in a good position as I have a few more hours under my belt than the average new-boy..

EricCartman
5th Oct 2002, 11:51
contact Neil Lumsden..if he still lives in Maun
also Hennie at Delta Air (if he is still there)
best time to arrive is...well don't...line up your work permit before you arrive or you'll go mental waiting for it
Neil operates C208 206 and Islanders.. i think
good luck
(email me at [email protected] for Neil's contact info)

AMEX
5th Oct 2002, 13:42
nonradio
I think you will find very few jobs if you go during our Northern Hemisphere summer. This is when the guy fly the most and when few have time or the will to apply anywhere, which results in pretty much in a turn-over of 0.
Towards the end of the season (nov) is usually when pilots begin to go on leave/job search back home with often a resignation follwing their return to Maun.
Best time is from December (might have to wait but at least you are there before anyone) until Feb-March time.
The time it will take between training requirements, resident permit, work permit to get sorted, should bring you ready on line by the beginning of the season.
I got there in late January and most of the recruitment had been done by then.
Of course there may be the odd job popping up once in a while but don't expect too much.

Good Luck