PDA

View Full Version : LUTON tower visit.

BRL
1st Oct 2002, 21:14
We have had a good offer from one of the atco's at Luton to be our sponser for a tower visit. Much the same as the gatwick one, put your names down here and a draw will be made. There was a lot of interest for gatwick and i hope there is a lot for this one too.

(The gatwick visit will also incude a visit to the HQ of one of the charters based there and also a possible visit to the big maintenance hanger on the south side of the field. Similar can be arranged for Luton if the interest is there. Not promising anything though, will just have to see what comes up nearer the time.)

Names please......... :)

iainpoll
1st Oct 2002, 21:38
I'll put my name down please sir!

Sorry I nicked your phone btw - but I (stupidly) beleived you;) How is Dave:D :D :D

Curry after sounds good......

LowNSlow
2nd Oct 2002, 04:13
Anytime in the next 28 days for me.

Who has control?
2nd Oct 2002, 07:26
Yes please.

Never been to Luton but its probably nearer than Gatwick.

Wycombe
2nd Oct 2002, 07:40
Me too, please (hoping that this will be in Oct, as I'm away for a large chunk of Nov)

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2002, 07:58
As much as I'd love to visit Luton, I feel that would just be a bit too greedy since I've already been to Swanwick and was lucky enough to be picked for Gatwick.

I'll tell you what, BRL - in the unlikely event that you don't get enough people wanting to go, put my name down. But if others want to go, I should probably give them a chance.

FFF
--------------

eveepee
2nd Oct 2002, 08:07
Missed out on Gatwick and I really do need to go to find out what happens in a tower:) Please add me to the list.

distaff_beancounter
2nd Oct 2002, 08:13
BRL
Could you put my name down for that visit, PLEASE.

Don D Cake
2nd Oct 2002, 08:53
Me too please. I fly out of Luton so it would be interesting to meet the people I have been talking to over the last year.

Lemoncake
2nd Oct 2002, 09:26
And me please, I fly from the very edge of the zone. Would love to see Luton from the other side of the fence

charlie-india-mike
2nd Oct 2002, 09:41
Me too please...

DamienB
2nd Oct 2002, 09:42
I'n not yer actual private pilot but would love to get a look around, especially if I can point a camera out the window ;)

Weekends only for me though, now I've run out of holiday days :(

In Altissimus
2nd Oct 2002, 11:17
Me too please sir!

As long as there's no drinking involved :eek:

Penguina
2nd Oct 2002, 12:39
Again, yes please.

Crossedcontrols
2nd Oct 2002, 12:56
I'd like to be included, hanger trips also
CC

PFLsAgain
2nd Oct 2002, 13:11
Me too please.

drauk
2nd Oct 2002, 18:52
Yes please. Any day.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
2nd Oct 2002, 22:54
And me, please :)

positionand hold
3rd Oct 2002, 15:09
As an Elstree flyer, it would be very helpful to meet those nice people on 129.55 (who will still give you a LARS-type service if they can).

Please put me down too, though it looks like I may have read this post too late.....

Warped Factor
3rd Oct 2002, 18:17
pandh,

As an Elstree flyer, it would be very helpful to meet those nice people on 129.55 (who will still give you a LARS-type service if they can).

Unfortunately you won't meet them on a visit to Luton Tower, the 129.55 people live at the London Terminal Control Centre at West Drayton.

Just for info the approach control for Luton, Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow is done from the LTCC.

Thames and SVFR are currently still at Heathrow Tower, don't know for how much longer tho'......

WF.

BRL
3rd Oct 2002, 20:32
I have put forward 4 dates in October. Just waiting to hear back for confirmation of one of them. Once the date is sorted, I will pick 6 names from the 'magic hat of joy' and will go from there.

There is a chance of doing this in November and also December so don't despair if you don't get pulled from the hat this time around.
Watch this space. :)

Aussie Andy
3rd Oct 2002, 20:40
No longer interested, as Warped Factor's post has pointed out that Luton Approach are not there, which would be why I was interested.

For anyone that likes this sort of thing, I can report that a visit to Farnborough Radar is well worthwhile... arranged through PPRUNE, together with 1013.25 about a year ago... very interesting, and provides wonderful insight and appreciation of what goes on on the other side of the mic!

Crossedcontrols
3rd Oct 2002, 20:47
Does anyone have a contact at West Drayton, and can arrange a visit there?
CC

Balance!
4th Oct 2002, 09:08
Add me in please

Grim Reaper 14
4th Oct 2002, 10:07
Are 'late applicants' with a history of memory loss following PPRuNe do's allowed? No? That's me out then....:(

Bouncy Landing
5th Oct 2002, 22:25
Id love to go if possible (can make any day / time except Mon & Wed afternoons).

Thanks

brockenspectre
5th Oct 2002, 23:31
I can get to Luton via City Thameslink! so although LGW is my "Home Airport" I would love to see ATC ops!! ANYWHERE!! :D

Warped Factor
6th Oct 2002, 22:00
CC,

Does anyone have a contact at West Drayton, and can arrange a visit there?

Stay tuned.....

WF.

LowNSlow
7th Oct 2002, 10:14
WF I'd be up for that as well. I'd like to have a chat with the 129.55 bods and thank them for their help over the years.

Warped Factor
7th Oct 2002, 11:20
LowNSlow/CC,

See this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69064).

WF.

BRL
7th Oct 2002, 18:09
The date for this event is FRIDAY 18TH OCTOBER. Not sure on a time yet, that will have to be arranged soon though, i reckon about midday or 1300ish. Got nothing lined up yet in regards to other visits but i am working on it now. I will do the 'draw' this Wednesday 09 October.

In Altissimus
8th Oct 2002, 08:33
:( B*gger!

Take me out of your magic hat please BRL - can't make that date.

BRL
9th Oct 2002, 09:20
Here we go then,
[list=a]
Don D Cake
eveepee
Brockenspectre
Ianpoll
DistaffBeancounter
[/list=a]

I need your Car reg numbers(will be using the atco compound) and your passport numbers, address and mobiles please.(Send to my e-mail address)

Those of you not on here there will be 2 more coming up. More details nearer the time. (November/December.)

BRL
9th Oct 2002, 10:56
The time of this will be 1430 Meet up at Luton Airport Parkway train station forcourt (Easy to find, loads of space) at about 1415ish. Pick up those not travelling in car then head off in cars to tower.

vintage ATCO
9th Oct 2002, 12:19
There is a free shuttle bus that runs frequently from Parkway to the terminal, and that's only a short walk from the tower.

brockenspectre
9th Oct 2002, 13:11
I am so looking forward to this!

Subject to trains (Connex and Thameslink) running to schedule I should be at Luton Airport between 1400hrs and 1417hrs on the day!

We'll have to set up some kind of recognition signal so I know which car(s) to flag down for a lift - don't want to find myself being arrested!!

:D :D

BRL
9th Oct 2002, 13:52
brockenspectre If you just make your way to the front of the station where the bus stops. If i decide to take the new car for a spin up that way(I might get the train) then you can come in mine but i know at least 1 other person is driving so they may be able to offer a lift in her powerful car. :)

distaff_beancounter
9th Oct 2002, 14:13
BRL
As you finally accepted my enhanced bribe (of twice, including once after midnight ;) ), I feel that it is the least that I can do, to offer you a lift from the station. :D

I could pick up a total of 4, at a pinch - well it will be a pinch, if you are all big fellas :D

That is always assuming that I can find Luton Airport Parkway, as I only know the station in the centre of Luton. If all else fails - I'll look at the map. (Well, that's how I usually navigate!)

I suppose for recognition, I should stand there holding a large label PPRUNE 'cos that's what I will feel like :D

Required details being sent to you by email. :)

BRL
10th Oct 2002, 09:45
Ianpoll Please get in touch A.S.A.P.

BRL
11th Oct 2002, 00:45
Don D Cake is also driving so i will be getting the train. New car or not, I don't fancy the drive back down the M1 then round the M25 and then onto the M23/A23 on a friday afternoon/eve.:eek:

I will be at Parkway around 1400ish.

Cheshire cat EGHH
11th Oct 2002, 16:49
When is the Next Gatwick tower visit?

BRL
11th Oct 2002, 23:25
I don't think there will be one to be honest. Its up to our sponsor if he will go through it all again. I don't want to push it and ask for another one so soon, that might be asking a bit much. We had a pretty good day at EGKK and i don't want to ruin any chance we have of another by being a pain in the bum by asking all the time. I am sure if we are able to go back they will let us know in thier own time. :)

brockenspectre
17th Oct 2002, 06:14
does anyone want to get there a little earlier and grab some lunch maybe?

I have never been to Luton Airport itself and am thinking I might get there early to have a snoop around!

:D

iainpoll
17th Oct 2002, 08:28
Dont bother, been there once and it's 'pants'!:D :D :D

eveepee
17th Oct 2002, 11:17
Brockenspectre :

We could look like two Pprunes together ! : PM sent today.
Looking forward to the visit and meeting you all.

Mak
17th Oct 2002, 12:58
Please include me too.

Mak

vintage ATCO
17th Oct 2002, 17:31
If you pitch up early you'll have to park in the public car park and pay the charges. Food in the terminal is the standard airport fare, and prices (inc Burger King!) Plenty of nice pubs just outside Luton in the villages. Lemme me know if you want more info.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

------------------
vintage ATCO
www.stevelevien.com

BRL
17th Oct 2002, 18:02
Don't forget to be at the pick-up point at 1415 if you get there early and decide to wander around. Not sure if you can meet at the gate of the tower but saying that i don't want to start rearranging plans now at this late stage.

eveepee
18th Oct 2002, 22:10
Thanks to all those involved in arranging a great day - Interesting and enjoyable. It was also nice meeting some more Ppruners and the beer in the pub afterwards wasn't bad either !:D

brockenspectre
19th Oct 2002, 14:12
to BRL and to Vintage ATCO for arranging a great visit. Eveepee and I met up at the Luton Airport Parkway station earlier than others to go and investigate the airport! The shuttlebus to the airport runs pretty much non-stop and it takes maybe 7 minuts to get from the station to the airport. London Luton is a modern, charming and small regional airport and for a Friday afternoon really not hugely busy. Very clear signs and desks, the statutory Tie Rack and bookshop and a small food-hall (bit like a shopping mall food area) with stainless steel furniture. A Burger King later (my second this year!) was lunch after which eveepee and I returned to the station to meet up with the rest of the gang.

Thinking to be smart we hung out at the Parkway Express cafe area with the intention of spotting BRL who was also arriving by train. At 1355 there was no sign of him so we went down to wait by the telephone booths (as ordered). Doing so we saw four folks in the middle of the car park but as they paid no attention to us we assumed they were nowt to do wi' PPRuNe. Ten minutes later eveepee suggested we approach the Luton Parkway Four and if they didn't react properly to an "if I say PPRuNE do you know what I mean" approach we would retire without embarrassment! Needless to say the 'Four were our gang.

A short car ride to the Tower, where we were met by Vintage ATCO and taken by lift to the top of the 157' (did I get that right?) tower - significantly taller than the towers at LHR and LGW anyway, as I subsequently found out. The working staff, three in all, were calm, professional, laid back and totally kewl with our being there and Vintage ATCO explained how things work. The airport was reasonably busy with Easy, Britannia, Monarch and a few biz jets coming/going. When told that NATS is desperate for applicants I grumbled that my age is against me - why, if one's aptitude is fine and one's health is fine should one be disqualified by virtue of age alone!! T'ain't fair!! :D I wanna be an ATCO :: pouts and stomps foot::!!!!!!!

We probably outstayed our welcome but no-one told us - at the 2hr point, however, another group was due to invade so we left the tower - impressed with the easy (no pun intended) way in which the whole process is run, from the printout from West Drayton to the taxi instructions (managing a cul-de-sac apron)!! It was for me too soon over, I could happily sit with a view of an airport all day!! Oh well ... dat's my weakness!

A quick decision was taken to round off the day with a couple of drinks and we hi-ed ourselves to Harpenden and the New Bell (something Bell anyway) Inn and hung out there for at least another hour! Thanks to iainpoll and dondcake (guess I should check the names) for the lifts - unfortunately distaffbeancounter had a couple of errands to run and couldn't join us (I never did get to ask where she got her biplane gold jewellery from!).

Finally us train-going folks were taken to the station by iainpolland Thameslink brought us home GO BRL !!! D'you know it had not occurred to me before the other day that the leaves on the line "excuse" for trains being delayed is nothing to do with trains accelerating - more a question of can they stop!! Quite scary when you think about it!

Anyway ... thanks again to all who made the day possible!

:D :D :D

distaff_beancounter
20th Oct 2002, 08:39
Very many thanks to Vintage ATCO & BRL for organising the trip, which was most interesting. And many thanks to the tower staff, who answered all our questions with much patience. I wonder if they get fed up with all the visitors disturbing their peace?

It was lovely to meet other Ppruners, & to put faces to names. Sorry I did not get to the pub in Harpenden, but I had to fight my way through the Luton rush hour traffic, to the garage to get a fuse(I think?) replaced on the traction control. (The poor old car gets a lot fewer Check As, that the A/c!). After that I thought that I ought to go home sober & upright, as I had my annual MEP test booked for 0830 yesterday morning. (& yes I passed :) )

brochenspectre Many thanks for explaining that your handle refers to circular rainbows. Its amazing what you learn from Pprune :) . I will be looking out for them from now on. As for the jewellery, I have several pieces with assorted aircraft motives, that I have just spotted in shop windows, over the last few years. The biplane I bought several years ago from a high street chain, but have not seen a similar one since. The earings with airliners, were made for me by a jeweller friend, who I persuaded to learn to fly.

vintage ATCO
20th Oct 2002, 13:45
The biplane I bought several years ago from a high street chain, but have not seen a similar one since.

Sold in the shop at Old Warden. . . . ;)

--------------------
vintage ATCO
www.stevelevien.com

FlyingForFun
22nd Oct 2002, 09:24
BRL,

Since you were (I think) the only person to see both Luton and Gatwick, can you do a quick comparison between the two for us?

Thanks, Brock, for the great write-up!

FFF
-----------------

Don D Cake
22nd Oct 2002, 11:38
except to say thanks to BRL and vintage ATCO for organising a great afternoon. Nice to put some faces to names too.

BRL
23rd Oct 2002, 14:34
Pretty hard one that FuFu. Looks similar inside except Gatwick has a big desk on the right when you walk in where the boss sits behind. Much the same equipment really, almost identical. More people in Gatwick too...... Can't think of how, exactly to do a real comaparison. :confused:

Thanks to all for turning up. Big thanks too for Vintage ATCO for setting it all up. There will be another one if people want to go up in November. (subject to demand) :)

iainpoll
23rd Oct 2002, 15:56
Really interesting, as an accasional A/G operator it was good to see how the pro's do it!

Thanks to Big Red and VintageATCO for organising it.:) :)