PDA

View Full Version : ATP Paper Question

SonicVIPER
29th Sep 2002, 12:59
Greetings All,

I hope some of you can assist me with an answer. I am traversing the journey from Comm to ATP but am still intertwined with the subject-theory. I am working through some ATP papers at the moment before tackling the exams. As we all know the CAA has her peculiar way of phrasing questions and I came across one which I need help with.

The question deals with time and asks for the latest time an aircraft can depart point A to land at point B at "LAST LIGHT". There are tables for extracting Evening Civil Twilight and also one for Sunset. Does the question refer to ECT or Sunset?

I figured it would make some difference so I'd like to make sure instead of going the assumption route...

Thanks to anyone who can help out here.

skyvan
29th Sep 2002, 22:19
Remember the definition of "the end of daylight" which is "30minutes after sunset".
Civil twilight is a term I thought was for sailors. Pilots use day and night.
Good Luck.

SonicVIPER
30th Sep 2002, 03:23
Hi Skyvan,

As I understand, the 30 minutes before and after sunrise is used to differentiate between logging night and day time.

Thanks anyway

30th Sep 2002, 15:33
If my memory serves me well; I believe that the point made by skyvan is correct. :)

tired
30th Sep 2002, 19:55
Yeah, agree with the above 3.

In the "real world" last light means 30 minutes after sunset. And from what I remember, that's also what dear old aunty CAA means in her somewhat fractured exam-English.

Good luck with the exams.

SonicVIPER
1st Oct 2002, 08:14
Thanks for the help guys. I figured that the CAA refers to "last light" as official sunset. That's the only way the answers on mock papers work out. So even though I now know what "last light" in the real world means, I'll stick to sunset = last light for the papers.

All help appreciated.
Thanks a lot.