PDA

View Full Version : Travel costs to USA

GoneWest
30th Sep 2001, 17:46
Anybody considering going Stateside for flight training (or hour building) may be interested to see that British Airways are doing some deals from £220 return.
http://www.britishairways.com/inet/regional/uk/ukoffers.html

Gotta be worth that - even with BA.

Sensible
30th Sep 2001, 23:13
Be fair Gone West, BA is the best. Problem is do you need a visa to fly in the USA? Does fun flying require a visa now?

Superpilot
30th Sep 2001, 23:30
Return LHR-LAX in March for £250.70 !

Thanks for that.
:)

GoneWest
1st Oct 2001, 00:49
Sensible...you appear to have forgotten how to edit messages.

"Be fair Gone West, BA is the best. " WHAT??

The singularly WORST flight I have ever had across the Atlantic was at the hands of BA - if McDonalds hadgiven that much space to a chicken they would have been done for cruelty to animals.

The head set didn't work in the arm rest - I could watch the movie, but not listen to it.

Best crossing - overall - was Freddie Laker.

Visa?? Hour building, No. Flight training (over 18 hours a week) Yes.

Sensible
1st Oct 2001, 03:49
Gone West, I do my best, if I'm a poet then I don't know it! :D

Sir Freddie, ah yes! don't happen to have a current phone number for his operation across the pond do you? :D

I still prefer cattle class with the worlds favourite. headsets that don't work are a fact of life with all the carriers I'm afraid. Business class is great but I personaly can't justify the extra cost!

I always try to travel off peak when there is a better better chance of changing seats to one where the headset will work and where kids are not kicking the life out of the back of my seat.

GoneWest
1st Oct 2001, 07:07
Sensible...if you really want a phone number I'll get you one (after my next road trip)....but his cross-pond operation stops at the Bahamas.

He does have a route or two from FLL and MIA to Freeport (at least). Possibly even out of PBI (West Palm Beach - if you've forgotten).

Still hate BA - though did have one very pleasant trip when I was upgraded to World Class...even then I spent four hours on the flight deck...remember those days...flight deck visits??

<<Edit to say: All trips now have a VS flight number...have tens of thousands of airmiles for no other reason than I hire a lot of cars...each with 1,000 miles...and lots of upgrades to comfy class now>>

[ 01 October 2001: Message edited by: GoneWest ]

Sensible
2nd Oct 2001, 01:45
Fraid the Bahamas is a long way short of my front door and I can't yet walk on water tho' I'm working on it at the moment :D

I did hear that Sir Freddie was still working although he must be in very advanced years now. I know people who used to work for him at LGW who still fondly remember him. I guess that Sir Freddie's airline will never fly across the pond again.

Julian
2nd Oct 2001, 15:36
Sensible - I have been speaking to a school in the US recently about exactly the same thing, their comments are that fun flying does NOT require a visa. They did say it helps if you have pre-booked a plane as it keeps immigration happy! Going there as a student pilot does, in theory, require a visa although they have students who didn't bother getting one and were let in the country. I guess this route you take your chances.

Julian.

Sensible
2nd Oct 2001, 20:16
Thanx, but taking a chance is too chancy for me, I can just envisage wandering around the USA with a pair of headphones and a GPS and ending up renting a car!!

Facts Not Fiction Pls
2nd Oct 2001, 21:48
Julian

You are correct about chancing it on the Visa - just had a friend that they would not let check in at Gatwick because he did not have a visa as he was doing flying at a school.

Sensible - if I were you I would continue on your line of thinking! Better to be sure than waste a lot of money on a ticket to be turned around! :D