PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the PPL in the US?

ChiSau
27th Sep 2002, 10:58
I'd love more advice please guys & girls......

To recap - I started doing my PPL at the beginning of August this year and have tried to fly or study at every possible moment since, including taking two separate weeks off work to try and get on. Am now 40 hours through, 4 exams down (about to take 2 more) and have my first solo xc done.

I fly from an aerodrome within the M25 which seems to be beset by winds straight across the single runway during the earlier stages of my training and now mist that won't go away, depsite everywhere else being 25km viz with a high cloudbase. As a consequence I have to keep cancelling lessons and my progress is stalling.

I have been advise this morning by an aerodrome employee not to worry because "I started my nav in October and didn't finish until the following February because of the weather"!

Does anyone have a view whether it makes sense to either take my progress so far and try and finish off in Florida, or indeed, move to another aerodrome near London that might have better weather/more runways etc?

I am extremely keen to crack on and finish off getting my licence, so advice to "be patient" isn't really what I'm after! :mad: :mad:

All advice appreciated!

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 11:08
ChiSau,

I know you said "be patient" isn't what you want to hear, but it's what I'm going to tell you.

Let's say you go to America, and finish you PPL in a week. Then you come back home. Then what are you going to do? You'll still want to fly every week. But you'll still have the same cross-winds to contend with, and the same fog. The only difference is that it'll be your decision to stay on the ground, rather than a combined decision by you and your instructor. But apart from that, nothing will change.

There's nothing wrong with going to America - nothing at all. It would be a good experience, seeing how they do things over there (some of the R/T and the general attitude are different) and generally having fun! But the one thing it isn't is a cure for your impatience.

(Also, the Visa and license requirements for flying in the US are a complete nightmare at the moment - see the sticky post on the subject at the top of the forum, although the system seems to be changing daily. But that's not the point.)

FFF
-------------

Evo
27th Sep 2002, 11:16
Yeah, it can be done. Any of the 'approved' Florida FTOs can sort it out, and a quick search here will find the one that most PPRuNers recommend. I'd guess it would take you about a week to finish the PPL.

If you stay here, then you'll probably have to be patient. Sorry. Some people get lucky, but most go through a frustrating time trying to complete a PPL in the UK in winter - I spent three months waiting to go solo (seven cancellations in a row was my record, and during that period I logged 48 minutes out of 13 hours booked). Nav is worse because it needs a higher cloudbase - I knew people who took six months or more to get through the nav work.

The only reservation I'd have about going to Florida is what happens next. You'll come back to the UK winter with a licence in your hand but you will face the same weather problems as if you were a student without the experience of time spent deciding if you should go or not.

(edit: FFF obviously types faster than me... :) )

Julian
27th Sep 2002, 11:29
You could always try Longbeach, California. You will get mainly good weather with only the odd day lost due to wx. the beauty of the place is that you can actually find any sort of conditions you want out there, including snow, to go and practice your flying in. Obviously as stated previously you will have to apply for a visa to undertake the JAA training in the US.

If you have had 40hours experience of crap weather, crosswinds and cancellations (BTW there are some interesting crosswinds and thermals to cope with at LGB as well but dont stop you flying), then I will say if you are hacked then get out there and do it. There could be a danger now where you get so disillusioned that you give up or just purely run out of money as constantly going over exercises due to delays in your training.

If you have any particular questions about the training out there then drop me an email and I will try and answer if I can. I am off out again in 3 wks but purely touring this time.

Have fun!

Julian.

Crossedcontrols
27th Sep 2002, 11:31
It's probably worth sticking it out in the UK, you won't have to re-do your exams until August 2003ealiest (or has the one year thing changed with JAR?) you could look for a strip with more than one runway, but the mist and general rubbish weather is with us now.
I'ts all part of flying in the UK, you have to have to learn this 'patient' thing.

cc

The man formerly known as
27th Sep 2002, 13:06
If you have the means, get out there and get it finished.

Too many people give up because of the frustration of lining up a servicable aircraft, an instructor, you, daylight, excellent weather etc.

Getting the licence is a big ruibicon and life gets loads easier once you have your ticket.

All the comments about patience are absolutely true but get it finished before you give up.

Good luck

sennadog
27th Sep 2002, 13:21
I'd say go and do it. Then when you come back, book some time with your instructor and do some Nav work with him/her as part of your check ride to get yourself bedded in.

In Altissimus
27th Sep 2002, 14:52
I agree with the two posts above - I just wish I'd taken my own advice :rolleyes:

I feel I have wasted this 'season' by sticking it out over here - I should've gone to the States as soon as I realised my (old) club was more interested in profit than teaching...

Thunderbird2
27th Sep 2002, 16:11
I was in exactly the same position as you. I started in October 01 and had 30 hours in the book, 5 of the exams out the way by the time there was *hitty weather every weekend at Denham from Feb - Apr 02.

It got to the point where I was seriously thinking of jacking it in. That would have been a bit silly after the amount of money and effort I had sunk into the 'project'.

I contacted a well known FTO in Long Beach, booked three weeks out in CA and flew virtually every day for 16 days, clocking up over 25 hours, visited some fantastic places, met lots of nice people, and most importantly, did my QXC and passed my skills test :D

We ('Er indoors came out with me) went to visit some mates in San Francisco at the end of the trip to relax. I had an absolutely fantastic trip, which will occupy a vast amount of my memory for many, many years, so my advice is go for it, but keep in mind that...

1 - When I did this, the Visa business wasn't as nasty and difficult as it is now - get your paperwork sorted out first !
2 - Pass as many exams as possible - more time for flying
3 - Give yourself a bit of extra time to complete, don't rush it.
3 - Buy some sun lotion, you will need it.

When you return you are at the bottom of the 'qualified PPL' learning curve. Don't feel that you have nothing left to learn.

If you need some more details, send me a private.

TB2

:D

englishal
28th Sep 2002, 00:38
If you can, go to America and finish off....As stated before you will experience many new things if you head to California (not often a pilot in the UK will land at an airport at 7000';) ).....Oh and not forgetting the cost....its much cheaper :)

EA;)