PDA

View Full Version : how many istructors did you have ?

deanofs
26th Sep 2002, 23:08
Just wondering I have done about 12 hours training and have managed to have 5, and i find at my advanced age (44) it hard to maintain consistency, one instructor wants one thing another has another approach

andrewc
27th Sep 2002, 00:10
Deanofs:

It can play out in two ways...either you're getting lots
of different inputs from many pilots and so will have a
broader experience at the end of your training...or
that you are getting inconsistent and confusing
messages from different instructors.

If they are actively disagreeing then complain to the
CFI.

I think that it is best to try to only have one instructor
for maybe the first twenty hours or so but after that
having fresh ones will add a variety of viewpoints.

In practise though, more instructors does mean more
hours learning (IMHO).

-- Andrew

Evo
27th Sep 2002, 06:54
Looking at my logbook, I've logged time with seven. However, that doesn't really tell the story.

Just over 29 of my 39 Pu/t hours were with the same instructor, who left at about the time I did my QXC - four of the other six were after that, while one was for my trial lesson and one taught me for three lessons at the start of the PPL before heading off to BA. So I had the same instructor for virtually all of the 'learning', and I think it is definitely an advantage. When you get back in the aeroplane you both know where you got to last time up, and you aren't going to spend half the lesson getting up to speed - and you're going to stick with one method for doing things, rather than finding that one instructor teaches High Key/Low Key PFLs and the other teaches Close Base leg (or Constant Aspect, or....)

However, in the late stages I got to fly with a number of different people, each with their own views and advice to give. That's a good thing, because by this stage you can learn without getting swamped with information - and no good instructor is going to try and change how you've learned PFLs at that stage unless you really have a problem... :)

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 08:44
In the period between starting training, and gaining my PPL, I had two people who really trained me. One who started teaching me from my second hour, and one who finished off my training after the other instructor got a job flying turbo-props.

However, I logged time with at least 6 different instructors. My trial lesson instructor was not one of my regular instructors (in fact, he left less than a week after my trial lesson - although he promised it was nothing to do with me scaring him off!) I had days when my instructor was on holiday, or sick, or when I wanted to fly on his regular day off. I had to fly with someone else once when he went to visit his family up north for Christmas and got snowed in! My club requires a check-out with an instructor other than your regular instructor before you QXC. There are all kinds of reasons why I logged time with so many instructors. But basically, I only had two people who trained me - the rest mostly just sat there and made sure I was safe.

Since then, I've flown with almost a dozen other instructors, for tail-wheel checkouts, type checkouts, complex aircraft checkouts, a few hours of twin time, aerobatic training, night qualification - the list goes on. I find flying with new instructors is always rewarding. Even those who I didn't think were good instructors (and there have only been two or three, out of all those I've flown with) have taught me something.

FFF
--------------

knobbygb
27th Sep 2002, 09:14
deanofs. I have 32 hours of training logged and have flown with 10 instructors although much of this time (22hrs) has been with three people, split roughly equally.

I, personally, haven't found it a problem - as far as I know. My training is progressing very satisfactorally - I have completed most of the syllabus and I'm about to do my QXC. As andrewc said, I think I've benefitted from having so many different views. The exception I would make is that it would be good to have the same person for the first few hours - ideally until first solo (I had five instruxtors over 7 hours and I'm sure I'd have solo'd quicker had I stuck with one or two).

At my club, it's just the way it works - if you want a lesson at different times each week, or at short notice (which I did) then you have to accept what you get. Having said that, once I got to know that there were one or two people I really didn't want to fly with, the ops people were quite happy to swap instructors round to accomodate that.

I also found it difficult when being told to do somthing differently than I'd already been taught. This persisted until I realised that I could answer back - 'xxxx told me to do it this way, which is also a valid method and which I prefer, can we try that' has usually done the trick.

I'd talk to the CFI and see what they can do. It may be that they just don't realise it's a problem for you personally. Different people learn differently and if it's really a problem the school should be able to work with you to sort it out.

I've found that the experience of somtimes having to make an effort to organise the instructors around my wishes has been a valid lesson in its own right. ;) Perhaps I'm being too much of an optomist?

GS-Alpha
27th Sep 2002, 10:31
I had 14 flying instructors and 7 sim instructors. I haven't added my vote because this was on a 165 hour full time ATPL course.

I pretty much had just one instuctor throughout the visual flying part of the course.

I am thinking of doing a PPL(H) soon, and when I do, I will want one main instructor, but the odd lesson from someone else. It is good to get a fresh perspective, but can be annoying if you are swapping and changing instructors all the time.:)

Grim Reaper 14
27th Sep 2002, 12:10
3 different for my first 4 lessons, kept doing Ex. 1-4, over and over. Complained and got the rest of my lessons (90% at least)with my 'favourite' of the first three.

Having a word helps.:)

nickmead
27th Sep 2002, 14:53
The key thing is are you happy with it and are you progressing? I was only a couple of years younger than you when I started and I found the chopping around of instructors a pain and I lacked the confidence to say so. When I did they were fine about it and it settled down. It's that good old horses for sourses thing, there are up and downsides but spending all that dosh you want more upsudes!!:)

C-dog
27th Sep 2002, 20:59
One instructor shared between 3 students for the entire PPL course, but that was one of the US PPL courses in the early 1980's.

So I had the one instructor for the entire course, pity he was an a....hole! However he did deliver the goodies!

Girl Flyday
28th Sep 2002, 17:04
I think I had 23 (mostly just in the flying sense!) over my PPL/IMC/night ratings - which did make things a little more difficult at times, but was partly because I didn't really care who I flew with, as long as I flew!:rolleyes:

Loony_Pilot
30th Sep 2002, 17:36
Hi,

Not sure if this is a record. but I have flown with 32 Instructors/examiners throughout my flying career to date.
That includes all dual, p1/s and tests which totals 180 or so hours
(my total time is about 640 now)

The most time with any instructor is 25:20 and that was my FIC course. The least time was 0:30

Circuit Basher
1st Oct 2002, 07:06
<Mode: Dirty old man>
Girl Flyday - brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'Trust me, I'm an instructor'!! ;) ;) :D

Or: 'Do you want to go for a lesson, little girl??' ;)
</Mode>

Holloway
1st Oct 2002, 07:46
Ive only had 11 lessons and 2 instructors. I really didnt get on with my first instructor and later I found out he wasnt teachin me things he should. I now have a new instructor and he is brillant!! he get on really well and im learning fast, I spoke to him and he promises me he will be with me to the end so I guess ill only have two till I get to the end of my course!!

flyboy6876
4th Oct 2002, 01:39
I'm now on my 4th instructor with #5 as a standby (only done a couple of hours with him).

My first instructor I still fly with whenever he is available. This is not much anymore as he has been back and forth to the UK doing his ATPL.

My second and third instructors left the club - one joined a RPT company which would not allow him to do instructing and the other is somewhere in the UK.

I have never had a problem with any of them. The club is very good at putting students with an instructor that suits the students temperament etc.

I SHOULD manage to get through the rest of the PPL with #4.:)

Dusty_B
6th Oct 2002, 20:57
I must have had 20 instructors in my time...
I did a Flying Scholarship, 3 years on a UAS, my PPL, and tailwheel differences training. Most have contributed valued experience. A couple could have learnt from me...:rolleyes:

I've got about 110 hrs dual, so please apprieciate that my 20 instuctors (some who only flew with me a couple of times) do cover a long period.

On the UAS, you could have flown with any instructor at any time, each had their own character and emphasis, but most importantly, standards were very high, and there was very little difference in procedure between them.
That is the most important thing at any school, and is the CFIs responsibility to maintain. Of your instructors haven't got a common theme, 'report' them to the CFI - and if neccessary, complain. It is your money. They should all be singing from the same song sheet.

Steepclimb
6th Oct 2002, 21:58
I had 42 instructors to date. But 8 in my first 10 hours and an incredible 22 before my PPL That must be some kind of record.

To be fair I did change clubs during my PPL at least in part because I had at least 12 at my first club.
Looking back at the names it includes I noted a long line of now and former airline Captains, a former Ryanair chief pilot. a former Aer Lingus chief pilot and ex Imperial Airways, The Chief pilot of another small cargo outfit. The co-pilot later involved in the infamous BA Heathrow Penta hotel incident. A now senior aviation authority figure. 5 were female who were far and away the best intructors Qute a collection indeed.

Brought back some nostalgic memories. But my early training was diabolically poor. At the time I was not aware how bad it was. Naturally it still goes on which is a pity.