PDA

View Full Version : get an american licence

cece
26th Sep 2002, 14:11
I have a question about American license: I hold a Swiss license CPL/IR (A) (commercial pilot license, instrument qualified) JAR-FCL, SE and ME, and a friend (French with an American license) bought a twin piston airplane N- registered !. Unfortunately according the Foca (“Swiss FAA”), I am not able to book the hours, without a FAA license !.
How can I have the American license ???, is it possible to have a similar paper to have only the right to book the hours on my log book (to get hours !!!), when I am Pic ???, what are the different solution for me ???.

Ps: please be informed I am French, the aircraft is based on the French country
:confused:

StrateandLevel
26th Sep 2002, 14:38
As the aeroplane is N registered it has nothing to do with the Swiss CAA. FAR-AIM says that you can operate an N registered aircraft in a foreign State using a licence issued by that State. As you would be flying a N Reg aircraft operating under US Legislation then you can log the time. You only need a FAA licence to operate it outside your State of licence issue.

mattpilot
26th Sep 2002, 16:19
i think what cece is trying to say is that the swiss CAA wont let him count those hours towards 'requirements' or 'qualifications'.

That, the swiss CAA can do.

But besides that, you would be free to log anything you want. You must only be able to prove it when questioned.

** Oh, and to answer you question, one must know the Swiss's regulations to answer that. But if it says you need an "american license", then maybe a simple "license based on a foreign license" conversion would do, no? For that, go to the nearest FAA FSDO.

StrateandLevel
26th Sep 2002, 19:15
More likely the Swiss CAA are not familiar with FARAIM!

mattpilot
26th Sep 2002, 19:24
i do think its possible that a CAA of any country can tell a pilot holding certificates of that country that certain hours "dont qualify".

For example, lets say i went to the USA and did some training for a swiss PPL in a N-reg aircraft. The swiss might say that since it was not in a swiss registered aircraft, i can not count it towards my training, but i can log it as general flight time.

I dont know if any such regulations exist. I'm just speculating on the limited info cece has given us.

sierra-papa
27th Sep 2002, 02:55
mattpilot is right what concerns the logging of flight time. Whenever you are the manipulator of the controls of an aircraft (and are legal to do so) you can write it in your logboog and count it as flight experience. But at the same token, this time may not be able to be counted towards certain national CAA requirements for licence converting etc.

Cece,
it's not so easy anymore to get a FAA licence bsed on a foreign licence. Look up the post from "Naples Air Center" at the top of the "Private Flying" Forum
sp

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 08:54
I agree with mattpilot and sp.

Without knowing Swiss, I agree that you can log time, under the FARs, with your Swiss license. Whether the Swiss authorities would accept that to meet any of their minimum requirements is a different question. And, if they need you to have an FAA license, you need to find out whether that would be a "full" license, or a license based on your foreign (i.e. Swiss) license.

If a license based on your Swiss license is sufficient, as mp says, "For that, go to the nearest FAA FSDO." However, if you're based in Switzerland, the nearest FSDO may be several thousand miles away in the USA! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

FFF
---------------

Final 3 Greens
27th Sep 2002, 09:10
But if you have a Swiss licence, can you fly an N reg in France?

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 09:25
F3G, off the top of my head, I'd say No.

Unless the French regs allow it (which I doubt they do, but I don't know for sure), you'd need an FAA license.

FFF
--------------

sierra-papa
27th Sep 2002, 12:47
To all,
the french CAA's regulations are at last as screwed up as the Swiss :( :( (or Gemany for that matter)
sp

mattpilot
27th Sep 2002, 14:08
F3G's -

No, its not possible. And the reason is in the FAR's, which does apply in this situation, since a N-reg aircraft is involved.

FARs allow only a foreign license holder to fly a N-reg aircraft if the aircraft is being flown in the USA and its territories, or the aircraft is being flown in the country where the foreign pilot holds his license.

Final 3 Greens
27th Sep 2002, 16:51
FFF/Matt Pilot

Thanks - so it looks as if Cece cannot fly the a/c and therefore cannot lgo the hours :( , as his licence is Swiss, the a/c is N tailnumber and it is based in France.

Perhaps, if it is ferried to Switzerladn, he can log his hours there?

F3G

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 17:04
F3G,

Yes, you're right. I'm guilty of having only remembered part of Cece's original question. :rolleyes: Having re-read it and realised the aircraft is based in France, he can't fly it on his Swiss license.

(I'm also guilty of talking crap in my last post, if mattpilot is right about the FARs. Although that doesn't really make a huge amount of difference to the big picture.)

FFF
--------------