PDA

View Full Version : CX Cabin Crew

Shakira
25th Sep 2002, 05:49
Why are the CX cabin crew using such wrong and bad, English.
Is it not a madate to speak good & clear english in the A/C. Let alone service to the Pax what about CRM with Flt. Deck crew.
I noticed some non asian crew on bard as well??

Stds. of service seem to nose diving..

iMad
25th Sep 2002, 06:57
"Why are [the] CX cabin crew using such wrong and bad[,] English. [?]
Is it not a ma[n]date to speak good & clear english in the A/C.[?] Let alone service to the Pax [.] what about CRM with Flt. Deck crew. [?]
I noticed some non[-]asian crew on bard [board] as well??[.] [So?]

Stds. of service seem[s] to [be] nose diving..

Shakira, before you criticize anyone for speaking bad english, I think you should take a look at yours first. With such bad grammar and punctuation usage, you are in no position to criticize anyone.

Many airlines around the world have cabin crew whose mother tongue is not English, what's the surprise? You have those who speak better English than others. And if you have any complaints about cabin service, "flyertalk.com" is a much better place to air your views.

Shakira
25th Sep 2002, 09:07
Iam not criticizing anyone for speaking bad English, just wondering as to why is CX allowing this to happen.

I also wanted to know about CRM between flt. Crew and Cabin Crew, since most flt. crew is non asian.

Im asian too so no need to defend asians here pls.

smallwing
25th Sep 2002, 12:28
Shakira,

I must agree with you that not everyone speaks perfect english. But how would that matter with CRM? In case of emergencies, would it be that they cannot express what is wrong?

I also know of cadet pilots that do not speak well english either. What is the sense in that? Point being is that if they can get the job done, wherebeit flying the aircraft or serving the pax, then that is what counts.

Perhaps there is something you don't know how to express in your question....

:)

christep
27th Sep 2002, 03:53
I fly CX a lot (over 100 sectors some years) and I have to say I have never encountered any CX cabin crew with whom I felt I could not communicate effectively in English. Yes, sometimes they have an accent, and often speak in one of the regional dialects (Singlish, Indian English. Filipino English, HK English, etc. all have their own peculiarities), but who is to say which is the "correct" version of English?

It does amuse me though when a beautiful Chinese-looking Cathay stewardess opens her mouth and spouts perfect Mancunian, for example!

The one exception I would make to all of this is that some of the crew in business (but not in First) do have difficulty understanding the names of wines when they are pronounced in the "correct" French way. I hardly regard this as a major issue though!

sub4
27th Sep 2002, 06:53
Shakira, a cabin crew is no editor. Impeccable English is certainly not a pre-requisite to communication.

-----------------------------------------------

Individuals who make their abode in vitreous edifices would be advised to refrain from catapulting petrous projectibles.

BlueEagle
27th Sep 2002, 09:45
It is a toss up as to whether this thread moves to the Cabin Crew forum or the SLF forum, but, as a lot of SLF read the CC forum anyway I am moving it to the CC forum as I feel many cabin crew world wide may wish to comment.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

shortly
28th Sep 2002, 01:51
Shakira, I have flown CX a lot and on many other carriers. I could not agree that the standard of english or the level of service are falling. Indeed I believe the reverse is true. If you want to compare CX service I suggest you try Qantas or BA or Lufthansa as I have recently. You will get a different perspective on 'service' I assure you. When we consider CRM the requirement for the CC in regard to english must surely relate to technical expressions. Usually the only CC in contact with the flight deck are the most senior and I doubt you are saying their english is poor. However, I also know of a number of occasions when very junior CC at CX have communicated directly to the flight deck over technical problem issues that have resulted in best possible outcomes for crew, aircraft and passengers. I am afraid I must disagree with you.

sean1
28th Sep 2002, 02:45
I think CX has maintained a high level of cabin service.I'd rather have the CX service than the giggling,affected amercian slang on SQ.

FloatJockey
28th Sep 2002, 06:04
"Ze red uaine is a Chateauneuf-du-Pape, vintage dix-neuf-cent-quatre-vingt-quinze... "

Oh Lord, wiz my frentch backraond I muzt be gud at reeding uaine lebels but as far as anunsements... I guess nobedy reely understend me too mutch... :D :D :D

Camon pepul! hu sed iu neid to spik inglich (end spel it as uel) to be a cabin cru?? :p :D

Uen iu spik tree or for languegez, der is no wei iu can be perfectte in ol of dem! Tink abaout it! Erlaines nou it of corse!
If dey ave to ayre uan cabin cru for evri forein pazenjer, den iu wood ave undred cru for tue undred piple...

LONG LIFE TO THE POLYGLOTS, THE POTCAKES AND FRUIT SALADS! ...and the good wine...

Mrs. FloatJockey
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Polyglot, potcake, fruit salad and wine lover... :rolleyes:

bartygwailo
3rd Dec 2005, 09:41
Shakira. I am a CX employee and one of the non asians you were so appalled to see on board. Some of my colleagues do not have perfect English its true, but that does not necessarily effect their ability to deliver excellent customer service nor to communicate effectively in a medical or emergency incident. I'm interested to know exactly what you mean by standards slipping? Because crew of a different ethnic group are permitted to work alongside Asians? Because non native English speakers are not fluent in pronouncing the French word Pouilly Fuise? Please elaborate, because I feel a sense of something malign in your comment. I would also add that English ability testing is very strict at CX and that training is provided for those who need extra assistance.

christep
8th Dec 2005, 05:12
bartygwailo,

The rest of this thread is over 3 years old, so maybe the other people aren't around any more.... but I am, and still a "Bloody Diamond Member" as my Travel Agent friend calls us. :)

As I said, it doesn't bother me at all about not being able to pronounce Pouilly Fuisse - I was just illustrating my point that if that is all I can find fault with then the English is fine for all important purposes.

But personally I do feel that it will affect my perception of CX when I first come across gwailo crew. I haven't done so yet - not least I suspect because I generally do long-haul up front and I guess no gwailos have the seniority for that yet. I'm sure the service will be just as good, but somehow it just won't feel right I'm afraid because I subconciously associate gwailo cabin crew with AA, BA and QF levels of service (which can be just as good on their best days as CX, but are very variable, and when they're bad they are really awful). I hope, of course, that I'll be proven wrong.

(I speak as a HK-based gwailo - I guess you realised that.)

bartygwailo
8th Dec 2005, 10:32
Christep,

I am senior enough to work up front. So hopefully I will see you on board. Then you will see that the ability to do a job well is not related to skin colour.

Unfortunately, because I am male I will not be able to wear the long skirt for you. Not in public anyway.

Just to add to my previous comment. The fabulous thing about CX is that it is one of the few merit based airlines. Doing long haul and working up front are not restricted to tired old chrones bored of the job and bitter about passengers. Not that I would imply that that occurs on other airlines...

SkySista
9th Dec 2005, 06:46
Shakira,

I do not think it is an issue as long as the CC can make themselves basically understood.

I had the pleasure of chatting with some CX FAs who were waiting for their crew bus, I had no problem understanding them, all it took was some tolerance on my part to get used to their accent, after that it was fine.

In fact they spoke English better than some people I went to college with, and they were native English speakers!!!

Level of service depends entirely on the individual & their training, not on their nationality or race. I have both awful and excellent service from all sorts of people...

On a side point, I didn't realise that CX employed "non -Asians" (for lack of a better term) as CC... I assume this is what "gwailo" means- hope it is not a derogatory term, I'm guessing it's some sort of Cantonese or Chinese for westerner or white person?? Interesting...

petitfromage
9th Dec 2005, 07:30
"Gweilo" means "ghost".....the Chinese call us ghosts because we are as 'white as ghosts'.

Some may see it as a racist generalisation but no one that I know really cares! We, expats, call ourselves gweilos too!

Interestingly the HK chinese are often themselves refered to (by other chinese) as "bananas"....yellow on the outside but white underneath.

SkySista
11th Dec 2005, 00:56
Fromage,

thanks for the explanation, it's interesting the little quirks each country/airline has... :)

I'm guessing that a "Westerner" (gagh I hate using such general terms but there's not really a better word, is there?) wanting to work for CX would have to have some pretty good quals - e.g. language or two, right to live/work in HK, etc etc...

petitfromage
11th Dec 2005, 01:51
I think we currently have 3 'gweilo' CC (one is YVR based, the other 2 in LHR)

Obviously it would be illegal to recruit based upon ones race/ethnicity.......but we do require that our CC are fluent in either Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese etc + of course English.

Rgds

bartygwailo
11th Dec 2005, 15:32
there are now 6 gwailo, 1 in Vancouver and 5 in London.

christep
12th Dec 2005, 20:34
bartygwailo,

If, by chance, you are doing the front cabin on 250 on 29/12 then I'll see you there - I gather that is the flight where I am most likely to encounter one of the 5 LHR-based gweilos.

As I said, I'll be delighted to have my preconceptions shattered over a glass or two of Tignanello.

bartygwailo
13th Dec 2005, 13:14
Oh, its a shame I will be going the day before. But I hope the guys on that flight will make you comfortable.