PDA

View Full Version : FI(R) training in Kent?

mr_seagull
24th Sep 2002, 15:16
I am looking to commence my FI training in November and have use of a PA28 at Rochester. I am looking for an instructor near Rochester who could carry out this on a full time basis. There could possibly be two of us and can gain access to a C152 for the spinning etc. Any ideas?

Cheers...

cessnababe
24th Sep 2002, 20:15
The problem you have is that FI training has to be carried out through a FTO with approval for FI courses. Ususally they will wish you to use the school's aeroplanes, but if the aircraft is properly maintained and insured it will usually be possible to get exemption from the CAA to use your own aeroplane. However it may be that you will have to take your aeroplane to a school which has approval and base it at that airfield while you do the course, since there is such a large ground school element to the course (125 hours). If you are planning to do the course full-time, then you should allow about 5 or 6 weeks at this time of year. To find a school then check the CAA website for FTOs.

mr_seagull
25th Sep 2002, 04:00
Thanks for that 'babe'. What do you think of Sky Leisure at Shoreham for the rating????

Cheers...

Crosswind Limits
25th Sep 2002, 17:14
I seem to recall Pamela Anderson in the film "Barbwire" utter the phrase "don't call me babe!" ;)

FatFlyer
25th Sep 2002, 23:31
I think that TG Aviation at Manston do FI courses, I believe Clive Ellesmore now does the FI training.
I was taught by him years ago and would recommend him.

cessnababe
25th Sep 2002, 23:32
:) ;) don't think I had better comment on your request. Try asking one of my students!!

IMMELMAN
25th Sep 2002, 23:39
Clive Ellesmore is now based at Lydd, doing his own thing - I thoroughly recommend that you call Lydd Airport and get his number. He is FIC and does a good job - he has access to any aircraft you need - he recently renewed my Examiner rating out of Headcorn, if he is curious about who recommended him. Good luck - I'm sure this will be the most local you can get - the only alternative I can think of would be Islam at Redhill aviation

IMMELMAN
29th Sep 2002, 08:38
Further to Clive Ellesmore - spoke to him and he can do your FIC on your aircraft - you can contact him on 07753 746467
I hope that all works out and good luck with your course - I am sure you will enjoy it - you will certainly end up a better pilot even if you think you are pretty good now - initially, it can be like starting all over again, wondering how you ever managed to fly in the first place!