PDA

View Full Version : Only in South Africa ...

Gunship
24th Sep 2002, 06:00
A bit of old news (happened a week or so ago) .. but then Gunsss hates to miss these reports for you guys and gals ... :)

Ripley's believe it or not .. (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=181&art_id=qw1032253381607B265&set_id=1)

To use a national highway as a runway is a challenge commercial pilot Carlos Garcia Cabral never thought he would be facing.

But that was exactly what he will probably be doing on Tuesday, thanks to a pilot who nabbed his Cessna 206 Turbo from a hangar at Pretoria's Wonderboom airport, flew around for more than an hour-and-a-half and landed it on the N4 highway near Bronkhorstspruit.

"I can't believe I'm standing in the middle of the road next to my plane," Cabral said from the scene on Tuesday. 'I'm dumbstruck'
The aircraft, a so-called "jump-ship", was used every weekend to transport parachutists at Modimolle (Nylstroom) in Limpopo, he said.

The Cessna was brought to Wonderboom on Sunday for its 100-hourly inspection.

It was taken to the maintenance section where it stood on Monday.

Between 5pm on Monday and 5am on Tuesday, probably about 1am, someone boarded the aircraft and took off.

The flight instruments recorded that it was flown around for 1,6 hours, Cabral said.

The plane then ran out of fuel and an emergency landing was performed on the N4 west between Witbank and Pretoria.

The thief turned the aircraft off the road, left it there and took flight - without wings this time.

"I'm dumbstruck. He really knew what he was doing - especially with this model without engine power (because of lack of fuel) and at night. It is superhuman." There did not seem to be any damage to the aircraft, but Cabral said he was waiting for inspectors from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to ascertain that.

With that assurance, and once traffic officers had cleared a stretch of the road to be used as a runway, Cabral would fly off once again - probably around noon.

"It's as hard as it gets." But he added that as an experienced commercial pilot and flying instructor he did not expect any problems.

Cabral said the CAA had already impounded the radio transcript. The police's forensic team would search the aircraft for fingerprints. The security company at Wonderboom would also be involved in trying to locate the arrogant aviator.

"Hopefully we'll track him down." Cabral said he was very grateful to have his beloved aircraft back, but was also amazed that there seemed to be no cars around at the time of the landing and that nobody was hurt.

"God was watching." - Sapa

Then a later report ...

After establishing that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the aircraft, Cabral flew it back to Wonderboom, using the highway as a runway like the pirate pilot did.

Police Captain Piletji Sebola said part of the westbound half of the highway was closed for about 15 minutes around 11.30am for the take-off.

Cabral used about 300m of road to gather momentum before taking to the skies. By midday, the runway was a highway again, reserved for land traffic.

"Now we are only left with the investigation," Sebola said. "At this stage we have no idea who the suspect is."

Statements would be taken from all people who could be able to assist the police in their investigation. Fingerprints were taken as well, he said.

Wonderboom airport manager Peet van Rensburg said he did not know how the theft was accomplished.

"The whole thing still remains a puzzle to us... What we do know is that that specific aircraft took off this morning."

According to him, it was possible that the thief used his pilot's licence to persuade the security guard on duty that he was allowed to take the aircraft.

The registration numbers of all cars that did not have a staff sticker were taken down when they entered the airport premises. From now on, all cars' registration numbers would be taken down at night, regardless of whether they had the sticker, he said.

Van Rensburg said he had worked at the airport since 1994 and in that time no such incidents had occurred. There was an aircraft theft several years ago, before he started working there, but he did not know any details about that.

Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) spokesperson Trevor Davids said Wonderboom was a so-called unmanned aerodrome between 7pm and 7am daily. That meant that the control tower was not staffed for the 12-hour period, and arrangements for permission to fly from there had to be obtained from Johannesburg International Airport.

Davids said the CAA's involvement with the incident was minimal, unlike what it would have been had there been an accident.

The authority had established that the aircraft had landed safely, its investigator had checked matters like the fuel level and it was part of an advisory group on how to move it from the road.

"It is a criminal case of theft that the South African Police Service is investigating," Davids said. - Sapa :D

Only in South Africa ... :D

flyboy6876
24th Sep 2002, 06:08
Blimey, that's an absolute corker. Was it perhaps one of those "shopping list" crimes?

What's happening in RSA, first a "succesful" airshow, where aircraft fall out of the sky and parafella's forget to open their 'chutes and then an aircraft get's nicked and lands, sans fuel, on the ruddy freeway? Just lucky that he did'nt run into one of the good old taxi's that hurtle around those roads.

Gunss, please send me a bottle of Tassies, I need a reason for feeling like my brains been fried after reading your stories!!:D

The Claw
24th Sep 2002, 06:57
What do you mean,"Just lucky that he did'nt run into one of the good old taxi's that hurtle around those roads. ", he
was the taxi !!?! :D

Great start of my day Gunns, keep them rolling........

:D :D :D :D

flyboy6876
24th Sep 2002, 08:10
The Claw

Guess that makes sense, drove straight out of Wonderboom and down the freeway heading towards Witbank. However, would a 206 have quite enough room to be a taxi:D ?

Gunship
24th Sep 2002, 08:46
Tassie's (Tassenberg Dry Red Wine ) for the not - so well informed and uncultured human beings :D is NOT for export. Even South Africans got their pride man :eek:

Seriously I see on the box (still on the pub counter next to the old laptop) - it says : Produced in South Africa and SPAIN ?. The good part : FILLED in South Africa.

Ok re taxi's, highways and bi-ways ... latest news : The 206 Thief / Taxi - driver is still gone .. :p

I am phoning Snakedriver now as he is in my town .. he can assist you guys in the what Tassies taste like ... oh also known as "Oom (uncle) Tas".

Have a gr8 day - we have a holiday again .. some sort of Heritage Day ... now taht is another subject and surely not for this flying related forum ... cheerss

Here are some serious rumours from another Forum ....

Not Stolen?

What does one do with a stolen aircraft? Indeed - perhaps the intention wasn't to steal it, as the thread above correctly suggests that the miscreant was inbound FAWB when the fuel ran out. It strikes me as a stupid dare/prank that went wrong. Perhaps it was a penniless CPL student who thought it would be better to "borrow" an aircraft without paying to log time rather than create fraudulent logbook entries.

xxxxxxxxxx

No it wasn't me, I have enough difficulty landing on runways during daylight with power to hand.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dont drink and drive, smoke grass and ...

xxxxxxxxxxx

In SA we leave our erries outside and unlocked whilst we have gearlocks and immobilisers in our cars. The first time that I ever saw a throttle lock on a C182 was in the USA. They have a huge problem there with A/C theft to run contraband.

Was this trip not maybe a night trip to Swaziland for turbo-cabbage, or Mozambique for stones?

Just a thought...

xxxxxxxxxx

The possibitlity crossed my mind too, but I don't think 1.6 hours is enough to get across the border and back in a 206. My imagination running wild!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How about this one?

If I had a body to dispose of the best alternative would be to load into an aircraft already rigged for parachutists fly over the Vaal (or Hartebeespoort) dam and do a drop, return the aircraft and the deed is done. I will buy a beer for anyone with a better story the next time they visit the Algoa Flying Club.
xxxxxxxxxx

He was heading in the wrong direction to drop a body in the Hartebeespoort Dam. So its my guess that he was an oriental chap that had just failed his CPL and was planning on doing a "Death or no honour" Kamikaze nose dive into the local Buddist Temple.

xxxxxxx

Actually, guys, you're making it way too complicated. It's just a guy dropping some skydivers for a night jump,... and then he went to look for them on the ground to see if they landed OK.
Do I qualify for a beer too now? Please?Not even just a light one?

Mobotu
24th Sep 2002, 09:45
Great reporting Gunship - once again you show us we are not just aluminium taxi drivers after all - on a similiar thread......

One day whilst flying over African skies with a 'respected' senior captain (Who we shall refer to as CLEVER DICK) on one of those non-stop-long-haul-point-to-point-don't-ask-for-a-refund flights I amassed the courage to ask how he became a pilot. The response I received was not quite what I expected, and after first thinking he was having me on - he eventually convinced me of it's truth - he simply responded "I STOLE A PLANE":eek:

DICK was like most of us out there - he loved anything that had wings - planes, birds, butterflies - he didn't care a hoot. He would spend hours upon hours 'spotting' at the various airports around which he lived until he could name everything and anything that came within his gaze. This soon turned into hanging out at the local airport, doing 'hangar talk' with the LAME's, washing other peoples aircraft for that ellusive chance of a joy ride that seldom came.

Around his 16th Birthday his life took an unexpected turn when he was asked to make a quick few bucks and wash a plane that had just returned from a weekend in the bush and resembled an exploded cow turd! As was usual the owner left the key with CLEVER as he was authorised to taxi the aircraft back to the hangar after it's washdown and put the plane to bed so to speak.

It was late in the afternoon by the time DICK finished and as he quietly surveyed the small local airport located far from town he realised that he was all alone. Sighing to himself in one of those 'Is this as good as it gets' CLEVER suddenly had a wicked idea - What if he could just take the plane for a little jaunt - knowone would suspect a thing - he would be back before anyone realised he had even gone.

CD positioned himself inside the cockpit, fastened his seatbelt, surveyed all the instruments he had longed to oneday himself command and turned the key. The engine roared to life and off he went. DICK tried to convince himself that it was just like usual - taxi a couple of times around the hangar and park the plane - but this time his 'taxi' would require the use of all the flight controls.

CLEVER scowered the airport from left to right as he taxied for the small runway, hoping to avoid the ultimate embarrasement of being 'caught in the act'. Lining up he made the checks as per the checklist and slowly applied power - the aircraft responded and surged forward ready to take once again to the air in the hands of this rokkie. At 65kts he eased back on the control as he had watched other pilots do and rather unsteadly the little plane lifted off into the great unknown.

After 'teaching himself' the basics of flying as per all the flying magazines he had ever read - the though occured to CLEVER - I have to get this little flea back on the ground in one piece or I will certainly be in the poo! DICK considered his options - to attempt a landing back at the small airport with it's narrow short runway was virtual suicide and so he decided some practise landings were the order of the day. Where better to do this than on a nearby salt pan that seemed to stretch out forever in all directions.

After a couple of practise approaches CD touched down rather abruptly in the middle of knowhere, and so ended his first flight. CLEVER was however only half way finished as a sucessful mission required him to return the plane unscathed to the airport of his illicit departure and place it nicely in the hangar. DICK's legs began to wobble - he was starting to lose it - the pressure - how could he cope? He blocked everything and applied full power once again to the little bird.

In what seemed like seconds the little plane was once again airborne and off to it's final destination. After making a practise landing on a nearby ROAD, CD continued to the airport where he excuted a 2 and half point landing deep into the short runway. By applying heavy braking CLEVER managed to pull up the little bandit with 'some' room to spare and quickly exited the runway. Upon his return to the hangar DICK once again surveyed the landscape for signs of life, but to his good fortune only a few stray birds took any notice of his arrival.

CLEVER DICK performed this feat many times until one day he was granted a pilots licence - and until this day knowone ever knew just where his 'gift' of flying came from.

MORAL of the story - There are those that dream about it and those that just say 'What the F..K why not':D

Gunship
24th Sep 2002, 09:59
Even the Tassies will not stop me from chuckling all day ... great one Mobotu - great one ... I also washed them first before I flew them (legally though). Even in the good old SAAF we used to wash Harvards on Saturdays before we flew them .. good memories ... ok 11 o'clock time for a dop (swig) :D

4HolerPoler
24th Sep 2002, 15:40
Only the bad boys who threw empty Tassie bottles got to wash the Spams Guns - guilty, as you were boeta. Those were the days!

Forgive the old farts sentimental trip folks.

4HP

Gunship
24th Sep 2002, 15:58
Memories serves you right 4HP.
Somewhere I seem to remember ME throwing the bottles over the shoulder and YOU throwing up - my friend :p .. it all boiled down to : Wash the damn Harvard and if you have not vomitted in one before - please do not try as it gets quite sticky and messy at the bottomn of the floor ..

While on the subject of flying - remember J****s Ale****er Cam***l - he ate his own vomit :o ... Gunnssss !!!

At least I stick to the thread : Only in SA

"Those where the days" ... tx for the call 4HP - MUCH APPRECIATED - we last chatted 15 - 18 years ago ??? :D

The Claw
24th Sep 2002, 17:17
SA's first truely affirmative airline , Grabair experienced some problems on its inaugural flight when refuellers refused to accept a credit card as payment. This will be overcome in future by using the standard AK-47. Grabair have great plans for the future and plan to expand their fleet. They are believed to be "eyeing" SAA's new Airbus fleet as a possible source for future aircraft. :D

flyboy6876
25th Sep 2002, 00:37
Gunss

I well know Tassie's, thus my comment on brain frying:)

Last time I tasted Tassie's was in Stellenbosch in '91 whilst doing some work at the Uni. We sat in my room drinking Tassie's out of coffee cups before heading into the town to complete the evenings revelry.

I never did get the stains off of that cup!!:D

Gunship
25th Sep 2002, 05:24
Flyboy, Tip of the day : First wash out the coffee stains :eek:

I was on another flying web site's thread last night and it bacame clear that these know too much about the incident.

Things like the fear factor - he scored the most points so far ... dare - winner of the R100k etc ... came up. It was on this damn IRC and I do not know how I got on and off again but can find nothing this morning.

So, I must agree seems like a prank / dare ?

Cheers from 15 degr and raining Cape. Going to look for Snakedriver and have a few Tassie's :D

Paddle Steamer
25th Sep 2002, 08:58
I think it is so obvious that the "aerrie"was swiped because a bunch of the lads from the nearby UNI decided to join the Mile high club with a few very willing female supporters. Reminds me of the story in WAC days when a certain queen air and a "horny"SAAF lad and a willing ops clerk decided to go to >>>>>>>> and the auto pilot kicked out at moment critical and the motion got so good that all hell broke loose.Oh well,,those times were good.

4HolerPoler
25th Sep 2002, 09:09
Here's the latest on the Cessna 206 theft

'Plane stolen for rightwingers'

Pretoria - The Cessna 206 aircraft stolen from Wonderboom Airport last week was "destined for Thabazimbi", claims a rightwing informant. The informant told Beeld that a member of a far-rightwing group, allegedly plotting to overthrow the government, was connected to the theft. The aircraft was found abandoned on the N4 highway outside Pretoria after it ran out of fuel. The informant claims the aircraft was to have been used for area security measures by an "extra-conservative grouping" in the Thabazimbi area. The informant claimed secret meetings are being held regularly in the area. Venues were kept secret and changed at the last moment. Armed guards prevented uninvited guests from attending. Regular meetings reportedly took place on a farm belonging to one of the suspected far-rightwing conspirators.

Those sympathetic to the cause had filled in forms, but it was unclear what kind of support was being offered. Videos of farm attacks were screened at these meetings, causing concern in organised agricultural circles. Farmers had repeatedly gathered to register their dissatisfaction over "unbridled crime" on farms.

Lourens du Plessis, a millionaire farmer in the area and one of the alleged far-rightwingers in custody, appears to have organised several of the meetings.

Aircraft expert Linden Birns said on Tuesday the Cessna 206 was popular among farmers as it had a range of 1 200km - much more than most other light aircraft. Cities such as Harare in Zimbabwe, Gaborone in Botswana or the southern areas of Namibia were within easy range on a full tank. It was easy to land the aircraft on a rough runway. "These aircraft are easy to handle and control in the air. It can seat six or otherwise carry a sizeable load."

PAXboy
26th Sep 2002, 17:27
allegedly plotting to overthrow the government, was connected to the theft. Don't you just love it when the theft of a light single can threathen an ENTIRE government? Hey, just think what we could do if we took a twin ... we could take over the whole continent :cool:

V1 Rotate
26th Sep 2002, 18:05
Where was Trevor at the time ??:eek:

V1 Rotate :cool:

Gunship
27th Sep 2002, 04:35
Flying twins ? :rolleyes: