PDA

View Full Version : selection test questions

g10
28th Sep 2001, 01:48
I know not many of us are going for selection tests at the moment. But i was wondering whether those of you who have been could tell me how those compared with the UK government's selection test questions for people applying for their "fast stream" program.
http://www.civil-service.gov.uk/jobs/fs/fs_saq1.htm

(download the self assessment test)

Please tell me the aptitudes are easier than that, and if you have a go let me know what scores you got. (verbal and data interpretation- i got 6 and 8, better go practice my long division)

Also just wanna check something else, i read somewhere that if you do too well on the aptitudes they'll ditch you coz they think you'll get bored too easily being a pilot (dunno how you could get bored flying), or is this something they deduce from the psychometric tests.

thanks for any info you provide

g10

scroggs
28th Sep 2001, 11:59
These tests are not unusual for any professional recruiting filter system. While they may appear to have no relation to the work in question, they are an effective way to select the more intelligent and articulate candidates for interview, which is where the final selection for employment is always made.
From what I saw of the Civil Service tests, they are similar to BA's, and probably a worthwhile practice instrument for BA selection. Other airlines use similar procedures, and, yes, they're about the same level of difficulty as these.
I would not believe anything you hear about candidates failing for being too good at aptitude tests! However, don't believe either that flying is always interesting and absorbing; it has its dull moments like any other job. Fortunately, they are few.
As you are just beginning to find out, unfortunately, it's not enough just to want to fly an aeroplane!

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: Scroggs ]

hmm nice flaps
28th Sep 2001, 12:34
Mate, without wanting to sound like a know all, I've sat aptitude tests for B.A, Air 2000, and the Royal Navy, and to be honest the tests that you can download from the civil service are, if anything easier in comparison.
The hardest thing about BA's numerical reasoning test is the strict time limit. The maths questions in themselves are not that tricky, but as you have about 25 sec per question your mental arithmetic needs to be lightening fast. Anyway this is somewhat irrelevant at the moment as BA have stopped their CEP entry scheme as I am sure you are aware.
The RAF and Navy aptitudes which ar ethe same thing contain questions very similar to those on the civil service self assessment download.
AIr 2000 tets, which again have been cancelled this year, are also just as challenging in my mind!
Sorry to be the harbinger of depressing news. but the grim reality is to get sponsorship to fly whether in the RAf, Navy, or civil avoiation you really need to be **** hot!
Good luck!

Sagey
28th Sep 2001, 20:23
I got 2 wrong on the Maths, and 3 on the extremely boring verbal one.

I think they are roughly the same standard as apptitutes but to be honest the Maths time limit is ridicuously high. I finished with 6 minutes to spare, and didn't feel under any time pressure whatsoever.

Saying that there is a difference between sitting infront of pc with paper and pen and actually doing it with the adrenalin pumping and a few nerves.

Sagey