PDA

View Full Version : What about your expat future??

The ATC Groove
20th Sep 2002, 11:18
G'day everyone, thanks for taking the time to read.

My question is directed to all the expat controllers planning to go home at end of their working period..... please consider.

One point I haven't seen raised with all the discussion on employment with different ATC providers wordwide is....

"When finally you choose to go home (assuming you want to!!) All the pension/superanuation that has been paid by you and your employer (except those of course on contract) where does it go? Can it be accessed when you leave? at what age? Does your country have reciprical superanuation agreements? I wonder how many people think about this prior to leaving? Do people working in Europe have to stay in Europe to access there pension? What about Canada and other countries?"

I would love to hear from anyone who may have thoughts, first hand knowledge/experience with such processes.

Thanks again

Tweety
20th Sep 2002, 16:13
A very good question.

Unfortunately one which can never be answered as the rules in most countries keep on changing (take Oz for example).

It doesn't matter what the rules of play are today you can bet that they will be substantially different when one retires in 10 + years time. One just has to wing it or stay and put up with the
bu*****t.

Bye for now:cool: :D

ferris
20th Sep 2002, 23:36
I know I thought about it before leaving!!!!!!!

The Maastricht pension, once you qualify, is payable anywhere in the world. Most expats work under a gratuity-type system (Hong Kong, middle east etc.).

And if you think the superannuation/pension rules will be the same, anywhere, in the future, you are dreaming. My advice is to look after yourself, and if you get anything from any government/employer anywhere, treat it as a bonus. One of the lures for expats is the ability to do just that.