PDA

View Full Version : Oxford down the tubes??

gurnzee
25th Sep 2001, 19:59
have heard from good authority that all BA, Lingus and Midland cadets have been canned, North African and M. Eastern students sent home, Gloster short- course section shut down and generally all decidedly not rosy. Surely the great Oxford cannot tumble? Anyone shed any light? :confused:

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Sep 2001, 20:36
Well the BA cadets will all finish their courses so there is some revenue. All the BM and AL cadets have been cut loose. In most instances they will have several weeks to run before their advance payments run out. At which point some will leave and others will self sponsor to completion.

I have no information on some of the foreign airlines there.

Whilst this is a significant blow there is no immediate cessation of cashflow and OATS is owned by a large American company. I find it implausible that the place is going to close or anything dramatic.

Moved to Wannabes for relevancy,

Ralph Wiggum
25th Sep 2001, 22:01
Ehhhh.. BA cdets canned.. good source not! But seriously, bmi guys and girl are still there, not chopped, just no job upon course completion. AL guys and girl have had their sponsorship ended but will probably self-sponsor. The 'North africans' :D are still there and a student in an Emirates jumper. So ehh, no, it's not shut, or shutting. :)

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Sep 2001, 22:36
Well lets just clarify things:

BA cadets will continue training if already on courses. They will graduate into a hold pool and progress from there to BA jobs as and when they become available. Which they will. Probably.

BMI cadets are to continue their courses paid for in advance by BMI and when they finish they are free to stroll off into the wilderness of airline recruitment.

Aer Lingus cadets will have to pay their own way if they wish to continue. In many cases and it varies from course to course, training fees have been paid for up until some point in the near future so they have a little breathing space. But there are no jobs when they graduate. Rumour control is also consistently saying gloomy things about the prospects of those that have graduated and started line flying but there is no hard evidence on this one way or the other.

This kind of thing has happened before in the early 90's and indeed even back in the Hamble days there were these kinds of hiccups.

Whilst it is gutting to those guys on sponsorships - and I have several good friends as such - it is doubly gutting for their self sponsored colleagues. The competition for now rarer jobs just got a whole lot more intense.

Whilst I fully understand and can sympathise 100% with the BA, BMI and AL cadets (I had a RAF 6th Form GDP Scholarship not honoured due to the end of the Cold War or something happening) I hope they will have the tact not to bleat too hard in front of the self sponsored guys with now the same job hunting prospects and a £50,000 loan around their necks...

Good luck to one and all,

Capt Wannabe
25th Sep 2001, 22:39
Seemingly the two courses of AL left in Jerez are in a slightly better position than their counterparts financially.

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Sep 2001, 23:08
As I understand it precisely the Jerez AL course have in fact been paid up in advance to the start of the MCC. So thats good news for them.

I am guessing it'll be difficult getting through to the Ryanair recruitment line in the coming months.... ;)

Good luck guys,

TrimTab
26th Sep 2001, 13:52
As far as the sponsored cadets go at Oxford I beleive it is as follows:

BA - Cadets will complete the course and then go into a holding pool and should have a job within 2 years

bmi - Will complete the course and then go into a holding pool with the airline or if the cadets prefer can seek employment elsewhere ~(they have not been released - WWW)

AL - Cadet contracts have been terminated and they may have to pay a relatively small amount to complete the course

Good luck to everyone

eagerbeaver
26th Sep 2001, 16:05
i was there the other day heard similar things but there were some other rumblings...
i wouldn't worry though if you are about to go, things will be great as there might be fewer students.

Chirpy Pilot
26th Sep 2001, 18:32
Well at least guys who are self sponspored will get a better deal. ;)

NewBloke
26th Sep 2001, 20:12
Guys,

I apologise if this question has already been answered in the last month (unfortunately I've been away)- but what's happened or is going to happen to the BEA cadets at Cabair ? I haven't heard much news on BEA's situation - and I'm sure they were set to sponsor again this year !?!......

NB.