PDA

View Full Version : Help me get started

kezza
25th Sep 2001, 13:35
Hi guys and girls.
I'm thirty four and want to be a pilot, I know pretty much what ratings I need etc, but am I dreaming if I think I can do it now especially with what's happening-also what banks do I need to rob in order to finance this wonderfully expensive dream (I have no rich parents). I'm thinking of gaining my PPL at Britannia flight centre in Florida this November, anyone been there,what do you think of it?
Cheers for all your help :cool:

CatTower
25th Sep 2001, 18:17
www wind up

phd
25th Sep 2001, 18:18
So Kezza you think you may be too old to harbour dreams of being a professional stick and rudder twiddler? - I have another 4 years on you and have just attained my PPL after a year of flying weekends only. By my reckoning I still need another 150 hours, a class 1 medical, a CPL, an instructor rating, an instructing job on little or no pay for about 2 years, lots more hours, an instrument rating, a multi-engine rating and the luck of the devil if I am ever to realise my ambition of flying anything with 2 wings for a living. By the time I have done all that I will be at least in my early forties and probably of no interest to most airlines. Do you think I am going to let a few minor details like these get in the way of achieving my wholly ridiculous and outlandish ambitions? ........NEVER!
A wise or foolish person once said, "Happy are they who dream dreams and are prepared to pay the price to make them come true"
GO FOR IT.

skipdistance
25th Sep 2001, 19:48
Hi, don't be put off by todays problems. They will get better. Before you start to spend money you must make sure you are medically fit. To do this contact the CAA medical section at Gatwick. Then contact ATA at Coventry (Neil) he or they will point you in all the right directions. There are many different avenues open to you, but in all reality you must end up with a frozen UK ATPL (JAA ATPL) to have any chnace of getting a job. To build hours you may wish to consider an instructing job. Im back intsructing in a simulator, and good money it is too, this is 14 years after starting flying! Just been made redundant from airline job!!! If I hadn't kept this part of my licence current I would now be signing on! Ask all the questions before you start spending, if you don't it could cost you a lot more than your budget can afford. Best of luck!

redsnail
25th Sep 2001, 21:53
Neil isn't at ATA any more, try Hilary :D

kezza
28th Sep 2001, 12:59
Thanks guy's for your help.
I'd have to say after reading some of these forums it makes depressing reading about becoming a pilot, although no one said it was going to be easy.
Anyway once again thanks.

Cheers from kezza :eek: