PDA

View Full Version : Training in Canada

Lunar Landing
16th Sep 2002, 12:10
I shall be coming out to Canada next year to complete my CPL, twin, multi, night and Instrument whilst I am 18. Once I return back to England, I shall begin paying off the loan, and once that is done, hope to become a Canadian citizen, and have some kind of job as a pilot. Airline flying can always wait as there is not really a rush being 18!! (well, 19 or so by the time I get out there).

Some replies of interest would be appreciated :)

Smooth skies

(also known as Tonic Please)

Saxon
24th Sep 2002, 23:26
Luner Landing,

You sound alot like me a couple of years ago, before I crossed the pond to the 'Big Country'. Currently I spend my time instructing, dropping skydivers and hauling the odd bit of freight about. I have never looked back.

With only CPL MIFR and 800 TT, I am no 'Ace of the base' myself, but I woud be happy to offer any advice I can.

Saxon

ravenx
27th Sep 2002, 13:15
How difficult is it for a low hours fATPL to get work in Canada. I know some other countries don't class aviation as being on their "desired occupations" list so don't let non citizens take those job.

Also interested to know if the job market for piots is any better in Canada than it is in the UK.

Saxon
28th Sep 2002, 01:08
Well I did it OK, but with two points of note. First, that I trained here, and gained all my licences here in the 'Big Country'(the only qualification I had prior to arrival was a JAA PPL). Secondly, I arrived before 9/11; which has unfortunately changed the landscape considerably.

As for Jobs, they are here alright, but not anyware as prevelant as thay have been in the past. Like everywhere else, aviation here is deffinately on a 'down turn' at the moment.

But don't let me put you off trying, I love it out here, and don't have any visions of going back any time in the forseeable future. I flew around 400hrs this season, and have been offered a job for next season too. But things tend to slow down here in winter; doing a walk round at -25c, ain't exactly a barrel of laugh's, trust me on this one. One guy I heard about found there was ice in the static port, so he attempted to breathe in to it to clear it out. He managed to get a C182 stuck to his tongue, (hap me, hap me, thumbuddy pleeeth hap me)

Despite getting paid a pittence, ($10 an hour flight time, with no base pay), and living on the hanger floor for weeks, the experiences and fun I have had, I wouldn't exchange for anything.

If you are up for it, go for it. Good Luck !!!!

saudipc-9
28th Sep 2002, 18:45
Lunar,
Sounds like you have the bug to do this career choice but the road ahead is expensive and long. Jobs are available if you are willing to do them in a rather cool climate at times and some very long hours. I myself took the military route which comes with it's own pro's and pitfalls. Have you thought about getting a degree first and then trying the Air Force? If not just remember that you will be looking at something in the order of £10'000 + to get the licences that you mentioned. I'm not trying to put you off as it can be a wonderful job and life, but think about getting an education first and then you will always have that to fall back on.
Best of luck:)

Lunar Landing
3rd Oct 2002, 12:40
Hey S9. I am very aware of the price, and shall not be doing a degree. I am going to go to the Oshawa flight traingin school in ON, or the Victoria flying club in BC where i did the Canadian PPL. I am working to save 14,000 pounds, which is over 30,00 canadian dollars, and am aware this is more than enough if all goes well, to obtain ym CPL, multi, night and instrument. I have researched everything very thouroughly....and if you would like to email personally at [email protected] I would be more than happy to reply immediately to your suggestions, questions, opinions etc....In the meantime, I'll inform you, and let other readers know, that the governemnt states that for one person, a minimum of 9,000C$ should be taken out to start off. A written proof of employment by the company is also required, along with other things. If people would like more info regarding this, I shall do that through email as there are many to suit different questions...

Smooth skies all...

Dan (aka Tonic Please) :D