PDA

View Full Version : Track or Heading Up?

Carbon Life Form
16th Sep 2002, 03:39
Interested to know what your operators use? We are Track up on
the map display and I've never met anyone that likes it, I think Heading up is an option.

Always wondered whose bright idea that was and what possible advantage it would be.

Airbubba
16th Sep 2002, 03:57
Boeing likes track up. Airbus prefers heading up, which I prefer as well. Makes it easy to see the weather on the screen and compare it to the window view.

G Zip
16th Sep 2002, 06:24
Perhaps selectable is the answer! Depending on the quality of your Video Map/Radar/TCAS etc picture...

vincenzino montella
16th Sep 2002, 08:25
Flying since about 15 years on Boeing "glass", I found never "disorientated" with the Track Up feature (well...nearly never... after the initial training "fees"... paid by everybody... isn't it?... ).

To me this system it's the easiest and and "common sense" as we all have to back up the "glass" with navigation charts, haven't we?

To navigate, we follow generally great circle segments between waypoints, which are defined in a lot of different ways: those segments are called TRACKS ( we find TRACKS on the charts, not HEADINGS) and (to me) the most instinctive way to look at it (and to x-check with the charts), is to have the TRACK UP feature as a "North" reference.

Of course the HEADING UP system doesn't cause pilots to get "disorientated": I prefer the other one for the above reason.

Viscount Sussex
16th Sep 2002, 09:12
I've flown Boeings (glass cockpit) for about 15 years with both presentations and I don't think there is a great deal of difference between them. Same thing as Aerad vs Jeppesen charts. I don't want to start another one here with the charts. I think it depends on what you're used to.
Yeh? No?:confused:

CAT1
16th Sep 2002, 10:39
Recently I've had to get used to both, track up and Jeppesen charts. I have to say the Jeppesen charts were the hardest to get used to.

Feather #3
16th Sep 2002, 10:43
Undisputably TRACK up.

G'day ;)

SuperRanger
16th Sep 2002, 12:21
wouldn't HDG UP makes the compass rose 'wander' in gusty conditions? just curious as i've never flown a glass with HDG up in MAP mode.

SR

Wing Commander Fowler
16th Sep 2002, 14:04
What......? You flying a hot air balloon or sumthing?

FlyingForFun
17th Sep 2002, 08:40
Just to be different...

...I've always had problems with anything other than North Up. My Garmin 430 has Track Up and North Up options, and when someone leaves it on Track Up and I forget to change it back, I find it almost impossible to use! (Lucky I don't rely on my GPS, isn't it?)

Why can't airliners display North Up?

FFF
----------

Wing Commander Fowler
17th Sep 2002, 09:53
"North Up"???? Oh no please............... someone let me back into the real world will yer?

visualappr
19th Sep 2002, 00:34
I have been flying heading up on B737-efis acft for years. Just recently we received two additional 737's but not in the heading up mode, as we are used to, but in track up. I have asked several people in what way flying 'track up' can be useful ? I haven't heard a good reply yet. I find it very confusing to say the least eg. when on radar vectors or when asked to report the actual heading,... Reading the charts ? Well, there is a track pointer so if ever you need to compare your track with the paper charters, just look at the track pointer. Most of the guys in our cy made remarks about this and apparently the software will be changed so we can fly in heading up on all our acft.
I think it doesn't make that much of a difference... just a question of what you're used to, I suppose.

Happy landings!!

john_tullamarine
19th Sep 2002, 00:54
While I like to have the option ... track up sure makes flying a letdown easier ....

Max Angle
19th Sep 2002, 03:17
Flew B737 with track up for years and now fly Airbus with heading up and I think I prefer heading now, not sure why but it does make the picture out the window look the same as the one on the map. On Boeing a/c it is pin selectable and I believe that BA operate all thier a/c with heading up. As others have said it's just what you get used to.

Blacksheep
22nd Sep 2002, 02:58
From an engineer's point of view, I never understood why it was only made pin-selectable. It seemed more sensible to put in a switch and let the pilot choose for himself. After all, Map Mode itself is switch selectable by the pilot, but do you know anyone who uses the old "HSI" style presentation in preference to Map Mode?

Through difficulties to the cinema

Dehavillanddriver
22nd Sep 2002, 11:14
Track up is my preference.

In a past life I flew one with heading up and one with track up.

I prefer the track up - you just plonk the track line over the waypoint you want to go to and you go there - the drift sorts itself out.

Similarly doing approaches particularly raw data ones in the trembling cave, if the CDI is centred, and you are tracking the inbound course you must be doing OK. Again the drift sorts itself out.

Twin locs and single engine raw data ILS's are much easier with this method.

Localiser Green
17th Oct 2002, 17:20
Sorry to join this discussion a bit late. Was just wondering are BA the only airline in the UK who have their Boeings HDG up rather than TRK? Since I think the standard Boeing fit is TRK up?

What about other big 757/767 operators like Brits, Air2bob, WhyTravel... are their Boeings TRK up?