PDA

View Full Version : CX Sim Instructor Ad

Willie Everlearn
14th Sep 2002, 00:09
I'm curious to know if anyone on this forum has any info or might care to comment on the recent CX advert in FI seeking qualified/experienced sim instructors.

Are instructors under threat as well as flight crew?

It seems as though an increase in training is anticipated.
Now, would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Pay/Benefits, cost of living, etc., appreciated.

;)

shortly
14th Sep 2002, 07:31
I'm not quite sure by what you mean 'under threat'. All Cx employees have a three month termination or notice from employee clause in their contracts, standard in Hong Kong. The sim crowd seem pretty happy with their lot and you rarely hear them complain. Training has already moved up a notch or two and will be ballistic next year. From anecdotal evidence, starting salary around HKD 56 000- 60 000, free medical but not as good as it used to be, free accommodation up to around HKD 40 000 and you pay a small percentage of anything above, help with education expenses and super. All of the above would allow you to live quite comfortably in Honkers and bank a bit. Age, background in aviation and 'personality' are the main criteria.
Good luck.

Willie Everlearn
14th Sep 2002, 14:24
shortly

thanks ever so much for your comments regarding CX instructing.

I had heard from an ex-Cathay sim guy who taught on the 400 that he really enjoyed the place, the pilots, and the lifestyle.

...to clarify 'under threat':)

I suppose from the reading one does on this forum, it seems to me that if I were to go for a pilot position (which I have no intention of doing at my present age) with CX, I'd somehow be 'under threat' of some sort of action or other. I just wondered if taking an instructor position would involve unions, associations, or societies that somehow wear black hoods, carry rather large sticks, and burn fellow pilots at the stake for caring to join CX in any capacity in Flt Ops.

Wild imagination, huh?

Thanks

shortly
15th Sep 2002, 02:31
As simulator instructor pilots have never been permitted to join the AOA as full members, only associate, then I doubt the AOA would even notice your arrival in Hong Kong let alone worry about it.

Willie Everlearn
15th Sep 2002, 17:11
shortly

Thanks again mate for the gen.

I've sent off to CX in response to their advert. It's not been that long. Perhaps two and a half, three weeks. I wouldn't know how long they take to whittle the applicants down to a manageable number, but with a bit of luck, I might make a short list. Who knows these days. So, it's rather good of you to pass along your knowledge of the position and working conditions. That's what makes this sort of forum great.

Cheers,
Willie

6feetunder
16th Sep 2002, 00:01
Shortly, you are such a git.

shortly
16th Sep 2002, 07:25
Oh 6feet you are a lad, why are you so nasty? How could I have offended you by providing advice for a potential sim instructor? What did I say that was wrong?

spleener
18th Sep 2002, 12:47
short - stuff:
well done son!
I have perused many of your posts, not put up many myself, but you appear to be a beacon of enlightenment!
Keep up the good work.