PDA

View Full Version : crash at wonderboom

spirit_in_the_sky
13th Sep 2002, 18:40
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about what the heck happened at wonderboom with the beech duchess crash
hope everyones ok
thanks

Vlamgat
16th Sep 2002, 12:08
:( :( :(

Good day Spirit in the Sky!!

It was an instructor and his student. They fuelled the plane to the top before departure, and off they went to PTA GF2 for some Asimmetric work, and the compulsory engine shut down and feather. You must not quote me on my story for None of us have heard the actual story from the pilot, however from what was to be seen at the crash site, the story went more or less like this:

After shutting down one engine and completing the emergency checklist, they noticed that they were still losing Alt., which is strange because they were two rather not so big chaps, and it should have maintained at at least 6000ft amsl. even with the full fuel tanks, They elected to do a precautionary landing on a dirt road, just south of Hammanskraal. On landing it appears that they lost directional control, clipping a barb wiry type obstacle, the aircraft swerved to the left and ended up on it's roof, successfully writing off the aircraft. The two pilots were evacuated to Wonderboom, where they caught a ride in an ambulance to be checked out.

They were only shaken with a bruise here and there, and returned an hour or so later to do the dreaded paperwork and to give the CAA some answers as to what had happenend.

This is the story I have, however I might be wrong!!

Fly Safely sire or Madam.

---------------------------------------------------
aginnintonnixadaykeepsamalariaaway!!!
---------------------------------------------------

AfricanSkies
17th Sep 2002, 01:01
I flew that Duchess a week or so ago and it was a dodgy thing.
I had a bad feeling about her. anyway, RIP

G-Lock
22nd Sep 2002, 12:59
Hi all
I have just come back to Australia from a recent trip to South Africa Delivering a Piper Aerostar . the Dutchess hit the dirt at the same time we were their.Can anyone give me the Phone number of the owner or any contact ..........cheers

SonicVIPER
25th Sep 2002, 07:43
Greetings all -

Does anyone know what the registration of the pranged Duchess was? Also which flightschool was operating it at the time?

Thanks