PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about Kabo?

B747 Plumber
13th Sep 2002, 15:17
What is known about Kabo Air? Are they hiring? Do they pay? What do they pay F/E's? Do they have anything going besides the Hadj? Thanks in abvance.

canadair
14th Sep 2002, 10:19
operating? no, perhaps a few internal Nigeria flights from time to time, but nothing of consequence.
but even if they were, why!!!?? wouldyou want to work there?
try

JAL,
Air Hong Kong
ANI
Polar
Atlas
Evergreen
AAI
EAC
Air Pacific
Dragon Air
or maybe Burgur king, before Kabo

Stratocaster
14th Sep 2002, 11:34
They don't seem very interested in "sponsoring" their flight crews. They hire people to fly airplanes but it stops right there. Your licence expires in 3 days or you should have a sim check next month ? It's time to take your wallet out of your pocket then !

Apart from the Haj, there's not much going on.

I don't know anything about your experience or career so far, but if you've never been to Africa Nigeria is the probably one of the worst places to discover it. Everything is non-normal operation, well below US standards, and it's quite the jungle out there.

:D

Nopax,thanx
16th Sep 2002, 12:18
Would have to echo the sentiments above.....rather than 'diss' any particular operator (remember Danny's warnings!!) it is the whole situation out there that is of concern.

As an engineer, working in Nigeria you would be expected to forget everything you've ever been taught was right and proper. I myself have not been there, and never wish to - but I have had to deal with a whole host of airlines in that region; none of them were particularly desirable, to put it mildly.

If you're deperate, then go out there and find out....but you would need to be desperate. Sorry not to be able to raise your hopes.

ZAZOO
16th Sep 2002, 14:17
When was the last time you all where in Nigeria or should I say Have any of you been to Nigeria!

Hmmm I think I know your reply to that one!!

I live in Nigeria I fly out of Port Harcourt (PHC) and have first hand info and knowledge about the aviation sector here, the man asked for information on Kabo Air and all he gets is no no no no no and stay away or something like you are taking a BIG risk from some fellow who has never been :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Though I can not really blame you all for your negative replies about Nigeria and Kabo Air, Nigeria and its aviation industry is on course for a new dawn and when that morning breaks the jobs in the aviation industry will be looking very bright believe me.

So give Nigeria a break please and let us do our work down here without any of this BTD kind of talk, as for Burger King before us well thats not surprising with your BIG MOUTH BANTER :D :D

Zazoo

And now as usual bring on the heat:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Let it all rain down on me:D :D

As Usual

Nopax,thanx
17th Sep 2002, 12:22
ZAZOO; we can only speak from our own experiences - I don't have the benefit of your outlook. All I can say is good luck; Nigeria has a wealth of opportunity, if it can only be properly developed. There has just been too much corruption in the past, and so many people have been exploited, and lost vast sums of money.

If there is a fundamental change on the way, that's all to the good. But you can't blame those of us who have experienced the bad side for being sceptical.

I hope that you have a happy and safe career in Nigeria.

ZAZOO
17th Sep 2002, 18:43
Nopax, thanxs and about the corruption thing well its everywhere dont you think so...... I mean look at the US and Europe and the latest financial scandals that have been exposed could anyone have believed that such huge scams have been going on, NEVER :mad: most of the leaders we have had in this part of the world that perpetuated and allowed such utter rubbish to go on here got the backing of most of your governments ... phew lets not start that here

But what can I say it does not change your perception on us does it :( most people who have been scammed here in Nigeria where themselves involved in shaddy deals with their Nigerian friends or partners as the case may be, and that is the case almost all the time ( Believe it ) and when the whole thing falls apart all you hear is I have been duped... phew yeah heard that one before and they run to their embassies to tell the world
:mad: :mad:

I am having a happy career so far and look forward to the changes already going on, it won't be soon but we will get there and if am lucky will be right here doing what I do best.

Have a nice Evening

Regards
Zazoo:

Nopax,thanx
18th Sep 2002, 12:11
Of course you're right, ZAZOO; anyone can be tempted when there are rich pickings to be had - some of the characters here in Europe who have "invested" in Nigeria over the years have been most unsavoury and deserved all they got; equally, there have been reputable companies that have been fleeced. I'm not going to name them for obvious reasons.

Just to reiterate that the country as a whole has got itself a reputation now, not just in Aviation, and although there is a willingness to get in there and make money (because that's why we're here, after all!) only the very naive would do business on anything other than a cash in advance basis.

I wish you no bad feelings, just tellin' it like it is.

tally
18th Sep 2002, 15:30
nopax, you're quite right, nigeria's current reputation is as a result of the shaddy dealings that had gone on in the past. I believe as time goes on, it will gradually shake off that reputation.
Regarding Kabo, it is not a bad company to work for. They have no "normal" schedule and most do hajj flights. After the death of Alhaji Kabo, things have been a bit slow. Current management is trying to get the ball rolling again. Salaries can be abit slow in coming, but you will surely receive it.
during the operation, you will spend most of your time in jeddah and when in nigeria, your base will be in kano.
It is worth giving it a try, particularly since the industry is slow at the moment.
Cheers

Wireless
18th Sep 2002, 17:01
Are Kabo the same comedians who run Kabo Air Cargo?

I have still got a 1994 issue of "Pilot" magazine that contains an article about a Kabo Air Cargo 707 that made a successful landing after two of it's starboard engines fell off in turbulance over the alps! Not only that, the leading edge caught fire!

Hh, Hmm....anyway...

:D

ZAZOO
18th Sep 2002, 20:46
I suppose so and they made it back down too hhmmm......

actually your quite right I remember that incident very well now, happened about the same time another comedian shut down his remaining operational engine on final to some london airport after an engine failure, he ended up on some freeway M something sad that one was.

hhmmm comedians :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Zazoo

Wireless
19th Sep 2002, 06:03
Was a British Midland 737 that landed on the motorway at Kegworth, in 1987 (I think)

Nopax,thanx
19th Sep 2002, 12:50
The Kabo 707 accident is reported here;

http://www.bea-fr.org/anglaise/rapports/rap.htm

Select Boeing 707 from the pull-down menu. Sorry it's in French, but if you scroll down to "Annexe 1" you'll get the radio transmissions. IMHO, the crew did a fantastic job in getting her down at all - it's scary just to read it!

canadair
19th Sep 2002, 13:12
"when was the last time you all were in Nigeria, or should I say have any of you been to Nigeria?"

" Hmmm I think I know your reply to that one."

Well Zazoo, thanks for being presumptious, but yes I have been to Nigera, many many times, in fact the last time was 4 days ago! So I believe I am familiar with the current state of ATC and aviation there.
I have flown into Lome, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Abuja, and Kano over the years, and sorry but it does not match the rosy picture you paint mate!
ATC in Nigeria is at best confusingly weak, and at worst dangerous.
Many pilots will agree, as we have discussed it over the years, including other pilots from BA, Virgin, DHL, KLM, Air France, MK, AAI, and Anglo A, the opinions are all about the same, it is not a particularily safe envinronment to operate in.
It is the accepted opinion that any "radar vector" given by Nigerian ATC should be treated as suspicious, accepted only if it can be backed up with raw data info, and TCAS awareness, as well the safe procedure many times is to do the full procedure.
Weather information is generally either hopelessly out of date, or just plain incorrect, and the practice of giving clouds in meters is also questionable as the actual rarely matches the met info.
The airports themselves are hopelessly lacking in fire protection, and having once actually needed to call it as a precaution, incapable of even leaving the bay and driving to the runway!!, ( thankfully it was not required)
Why do you think that 126.90 is such an important freq. in Africa and Nigeria,? I never feel the need to broadcast on this leaving LHR!
Over Nigeria you have to be very diligent, and in particular on descent and arrivals, with controllers more interested in your registration that where you are.
So, Zazoo, yes I have been there, many many times, and this "bright new future" of aviation that you say is coming? well I see none of it, in fact over the years I have see no changes, just the same marginal controllers, poorly kept airports, and useless radio equipment.
Perhaps if you cannot see this you need to get out a bit more!

ZAZOO
19th Sep 2002, 14:50
Neat website Nopax thanx for that .

Canadair thankyou points and concerns well noted oh and by the way Lome not in Nigeria, nice airport though.

I got a feeling you with MK

Regards
Zazoo

Boss Raptor
19th Sep 2002, 21:17
Well let's start with Mr. Dan Kabo, the owner, died at least 6-8 months ago...

The aircraft and operations are a joke...dont think they'll even make Hajj next year...

If you want to fly aircraft with AD's overdue, reconfig-ed to 400+ seats with only PSU's for the original 320 pax. then this is the place for you...

Flight Detent
20th Sep 2002, 11:05
I just left Nigeria yesterday, hopefully, never to return!!

I understand the prior concerns, and confirm them, once your rego is supplied, the job is done!
I've never heard so many 'standbys' on the radio in my life before, together with long silent periods when inflight clearances are requested, so we make sure we get our landing clearance well in advance!
We had a fuel spill there, whilst refuelling, and called the fire service to clear the spill.
They took about 25 mins to get there, but thats no problem, its not an emergency, but you just had to be there to see the antics when they tried to start the water flowing.
The Three Stooges show would have been proud of that one!

Oh yes, and the day we arrived at the airplane, to depart, only an hour late, quite normal really, (the airport transport bus is never on time), to find that the passengers had boarded themselves, all 320 of them, since there was no security people or locked doors to stop them!
Needless to say that we had them all removed, and the aircraft extensively searched, by our own people, since there's are known for their..........er, relaxed approach to everything!

And many, many other things, way to numeruos to mention now!

Very glad to be out of there!!!!

Cheers

Nopax,thanx
20th Sep 2002, 12:26
My pleasure........ :)

Good luck with whatever comes your way!

ZAZOO
20th Sep 2002, 14:08
Boss No! :(

tally
23rd Sep 2002, 23:31
I think "flight detent" and "canadair" hit the nail on the head. As a nigerian who has had the priviledge of flying in other parts of the world, I wonder at times if we think we have a special insight on aviation. There are people who know what to do and are willing to act, but the nonentities always seem to hold sway.
I pray that one of this days the right people will have the opportunity to lead the industry. As long as these nonstarters continue to run things, it will continue to be one step forward, 5 steps backward.
Regarding Kabo, they are preparing for the umrah and hajj ops. The fact of the matter is how successful will they be without dan kabo himself. Even when he was alive, things were very shaky.

Stratocaster
24th Sep 2002, 09:47
'Seems B747 Plumber ran away... :D

BTW don't be too hard with Zazoo. He manages to enjoy Nigeria and even to believe things will improve very soon, which is already a small miracle. I don't think it was very appropriate to call the BMI crew "comedians", and very fair to compare the two accidents like he did, but I won't make a big fuss about it.

PPruNe is a nice kindergarden where you can learn things parents should teach their kids, because nobody will do it in the cockpit until it's too late and your career is screwed up.
:)

citadel
24th Sep 2002, 10:06
Chief Kabo passed away earlier this year.

ZAZOO
24th Sep 2002, 14:00
Citadel what do they care !

As an observer of this topic explained to me and so very well

Most of the guys on this thread are doom-mongers, most of whom go to Nigeria with their preconceived ideas which they aren't going to allow mere facts to change. It makes me laugh the way they keep repeating the same apocryphal stories I was first hearing in the 19...s as if they were today's news!

So me I don leave this place today make una continue as usual

:D :D :D

Bye

bwanatembo
24th Sep 2002, 21:27
The new morning dawn IS about to happen in Nigeria..................

............For those living in the past............MOVE WITH THE TIMES!

OR,.................... maybe, stay in the past and................................

give US greater opportunities!

FREDA
26th Sep 2002, 18:22
How Kabo Air will fare without the Chief (may he rest in peace) is an interesting question. On the one hand his influence often served as a disincentive to the adoption of a realistic safety culture in the company but on the other hand his political influence helped win lucrative Hajj contracts and, more importantly, ensured that Kabo were paid for the work they did.

Maybe Kabo Air will be a better outfit this year and having decent pilots will help that. I´d rather see seasoned pilots go and see how the new management are running things before we all pass judgement. From personal experience of dealing with the people at Kabo I´m pretty confident they´ll be paid for their time. Of course, you wouldn´t catch me down there!

ps. Rgds to Capt. S. Evil, I know you´re out there. Ah-ah

dr max
8th Jul 2003, 21:29
There are 5 KABO 747's parked at Kano in Nigeria. One looks very decrepit and unflyable ever again. The other 4 look as if a nice E-check (!) might be needed!

chuks
15th Jul 2003, 03:58
As to working in Nigeria I would recommend two things: an open mind and a round-trip ticket.

On the other hand, there is going to be a new dawn in Nigeria, when everything is going to run to First World standards? I hope that is meant to be a subtle insider's joke. It hasn't ever happened in the more than 20 years I have been there!

Politics and safety don't mix and the results from Nigeria show that. Practically every airport of note has its share of wrecked aircraft out there in the bush or else just sat right there on the ramp for all to admire.

All one has to do is to do the math on the local airlines. Multiply the ticket price (220 naira to the Pound) by the number of seats on the aircraft divided by the time flown on a given sector. Then look at the result and ask yourself if they can afford to do proper maintenance on the aircraft. Too, just where are they going to do the maintenance, since almost none of them have their own facilities? I see the engineers out there in the pissing rain, slaving away. I don't think that shows top standards being applied.

There are some decent jobs there. I have been lucky to have worked for some good operators. On the other hand, I have lost a few guys I used to work with in stupid crashes you might put down to low standards. Some of the stories are just unbelievable, but true!

Still, if you're looking for a change, go for it! Just don't hang around too long if there seems to be some problem with the money being transferred into your account. That can turn into a sort of Chinese finger trap. Check with your embassy for details about Nigeria before you go and listen carefully to what they will tell you. If you assume you know what you will find there you may pay a high price to learn that Nigeria really can be something else. On the other hand, the normal people you will meet are just great IMHO.

TomBola
16th Jul 2003, 18:42
The last time I flew with Kabo it was as a passenger on an internal flight - pretty scary approach into LOS in a storm in the rainy season, made even more scary by the approach and landing.

NAMA and the NCAA actually are trying hard to change things for the better and more navaids are working now than a few years ago, but ATC is pretty second-rate IMHO.
Corruption now rife again and Nigeria again tops this year's list from Transparency International as the world's most corrupt country. The recent Presidential election results are, in the view of most observers, flawed by widespread fraud. A good website to find out about the corruption there and the infamous 419 scam is
The Lads From Lagos (http://www.scamorama.com)

As one who has spent more of his working life in Nigeria than anywhere else, I still love the place, but I don't look at it through rose coloured spectacles and if there is any new dawn, then it's a long, long time a comin'.

Chuks has got it right though, if you have the opportunity, visit Nigeria with an open mind, and a return ticket.