PDA

View Full Version : readability 8

dedstikyfingerz
12th Sep 2002, 15:03
Why do people shout down the Radio? and alter the things they have learnt, to look cool. Talking fast is one thing that seems to impress certain people and make em think it sounds profesional. Well it dont! proper talk from cap 413 in a normal voice is much more proffesional. infact the fast and loud sound like prats!
Famous calls:
DOWNWIND 4 28 ????
TURNING FINALS
DOWNWIND 21 RIGHT? (when only one runway)
ETC ETC

Come on it's only a radio!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

StrateandLevel
12th Sep 2002, 17:58
How can there only be one runway? Is 03 not an option?

Tee
12th Sep 2002, 21:04
On the subject of the readability scale, many people seem to think 1-5 signifies strength of transmission, as in "Reading you strength 5" - it doesn't.

5 = perfectly readable
4 = readable
3 = readable but with difficulty
2 = readable now and then
1 = unreadable

It is, for example, possible to have "readability 4 but a bit faint"

FormationFlyer
13th Sep 2002, 10:47
Indeed I ALWAYS add the runway & action to downwind & final calls...

i.e.

G-XX DOWNIND TO (LAND/T&G) 26
and
FINAL TO ROLL 26

I called 'Right Base 08 to Land' the other day to be told 'orbit traffic on 8 mile final 26'.

So its not that stupid really is it? Especially in low wind conditions & low vis operations.

Just a thought.

long final
13th Sep 2002, 11:43
DOWNWIND 21 RIGHT

:confused: Whats wrong with that??

Why do people shout down the Radio? and alter the things they have learnt, to look cool. Talking fast is one thing that seems to impress certain people and make em think it sounds profesional

Time and place. If a frequency is busy, e.g. Manchester App., I am sure they prefer the fast radio call. Someone telling their life story cap413ly could cause chaos.

Just my humble ..... :rolleyes:

LF

FlyingForFun
13th Sep 2002, 12:12
DOWNWIND 21 RIGHT

:confused: Whats wrong with that??

The above phrase suggests to me that you're in a left-hand circuit for runway 21R. DSF said that there was only one runway, so presumably there was no 21R, and what was actually intended is "Right-hand downwind runway 21".

If there are no parallel runways at the airport in question, I can't see how there could be any confusion about the meaning of "downwind 21 right" even it's incorrect. But if someone were to use that phrase at an airport with parallel runways, and intended it to mean that he was in a right hand circuit (for whichever runway) it would definitely cause confusion.

But, that aside, DSF, it seems to me that you're getting extremely upset about a relatively minor issue - calm down mate! Out of interest, what airport did these examples come from? Was it an airport where there's lots of training, for example?

FFF
-------------

Rod1
13th Sep 2002, 12:48
Ok, I tend to talk fast on the radio. I also like to keep it short and to the point. Why is this a problem? Unless I am talking so fast the other side cannot keep up then there is no disadvantage. The number of occasions I have had a please repeat is probably running at about 1 a year on 75 ish hours flying.

The people who get up my nose are the ones who start their life story and forget what they were witling on about ½ way through. If more people thought what they were going to say before pushing the button, life would be easier and safer for everyone.

Rod

Field In Sight
13th Sep 2002, 14:57
If there is only one useable runway I still tend to say what direction of turns I will be making.
eg.
Landing on Rwy 09, right hand turns in the circuit as:
"Right Downwind Runway 09" OR
"Right Base Runway 09".

It's just a little bit extra information that somebody could pick up on and tell me what the hell I am doing doing right hand turns in a left hand circuit for.

formationfoto
14th Sep 2002, 07:25
deadsticky
I guess it depends on what you call loud and fast but miltary radio calls tend to be 'crisp' and to the point and given I live in an area where my airspace is often occupied by expensive pieces of her maj's flying metal work using my barn as a target I wouldn't dare to suggest that their drivers sound like prats.

Correct calls are better than incorrect ones but an incorrect call which still makes clear the intent is better than an incomplete call.

If someone has called downwind at a variable direction circuit airfield I would quite like to know whether they are in the right hand or left hand circuit before meeting them head on in the opposite direction base leg before a slightly late final turn.

Similarly where the wind is across and either end of the runway is suitable I would like to know which of the opposite direction runways an aircraft on final is using than just the information that he is on final.

At many airfields none of the above is likely to be a problem but at some smaller strips it could easilly be. At busy airfields I always find ATC far more helpful if they get the required information (and no more) in as clear and fast a way as possible. In the early days of my flying it was noticeable how as my radio calls became more succinct I received fewer instructions to 'remain outside controlled airspace' when wanting to transit through busy zones.

Clear and fast with emphasis on the important and relevant information for the intent of the call is not for the purposes of posing but to help me do what I want.