PDA

View Full Version : Flying ooop North

spils
10th Sep 2002, 16:12
My parents live near Wigan and I would like to be able to hire an aircraft (e.g. 172) when I go back. Does anyone know of any clubs in the surrounding area? I have looked at one at BPL, however the rental rate was around £94ph which I thought was a little extreme.

Also, I remember doing a trial flight with West Lancs Aero Club up at RAF Woodvale many years ago. I just ran a search on the net to check them out, and cannot find any info on them at all. Do they still exist?

Field In Sight
10th Sep 2002, 17:02
Not 100% sure but I think Bae systems have made sure their is no flying schools at Woodvale.

I have flown from Barton and it's not that Bad and it's nearer to wigan. I rented C152/150's recently for about 75pph including landing fee.

Don't think they have m(any?) C172's.

Cat.S
10th Sep 2002, 19:59
Ravenair at LPL have 6 PA38s and a PA28-161. Solo hire on the Pa 38 is approx £71 hr for members- add c. £10-15 for the Warrior. Cheshire Flying school, also at LPL have a 172, but I don't know the rate. LPL is 20 minutes drive away at weekends (30 in rush hour). Landing fees for members in PA 38 is £6.17. Dearer than Barton but you get 8000' of flat runway, a brilliant ATC and it doesn't get waterlogged.

poetpilot
11th Sep 2002, 08:12
Barton is getting a second C172 in two weeks time. How do I know? Well, its MY 172 !!

This will be available SOLELY for PPL hire, as I've made that a condition to try and keep the aeroplane in nice nick.

The current 172, G-BOIL, is a bit scruffy, and its PPL rate is £82. Not sure what mine will be, as I'm leasing it to the club on a dry rate, which they add to (obviously).

G-ATGO is equipped with a Skyforce II big screen GPS, 2 comms, VOR/Glideslope, DME, ADF, Mode C transponder & whizzy new Garmin audio panel with 4 place intercom. It's a 1965 vintage but in very nice condition, so if you decide to fly it, please take care of it!!!!

....oh yes,, and just to confirm, West Lancs aero club at Woodvale is no more.

Your choices are:

Barton
LPL - various
Chester
Manchester A/P - still has one outfit
Blackpool
Leeds

formationfoto
11th Sep 2002, 21:49
Not current on the area (Liverpool is my home city but haven't spent much time there recently). Have flown into Liverpool John Lennon though and if you want a 'big' airport it is a good option. The GA area is managed by LAS which is associated with Ravenair. Good aircraft fleet though is never going to be as cheap as a grass airfield. So the alternative is Barton. Haven't flown there since flying in a chippy with Peter somebody in the mid 90s ( I know that doesn't narrow it down much!). Good friendly operation I understand and maintain the spirit of a club. This does, though, mean a less 'pro' approach.

poetpilot
12th Sep 2002, 11:04
I dont want to kneejerk on the last comment, Formation, I think I understand what you meant, but I'm not sure if the wording was appropriate.

The instructors and staff (IMHO) are professional and competent at Barton, and I wouldnt want anyone to think otherwise.

The way in which the operation is run and its outward characteristics are less formal than a "big airport" operation, but that doesnt meant that it's not safe. The services at the airfield are commensurate with its size and the fact that it's a club.

As I said, some love it, some hate it. Some have an ongoing love/hate relationship with it. Bet it's the same for clubs all over the country, flying or not!

niknak
12th Sep 2002, 13:37
Unless tha 'as thee own whippet and flat 'at, thee can bloody well stay where tha is, we'll ave no southern softies on ar patch mate!:D

notice
12th Sep 2002, 20:04
I was always mystified as to why 'up' is, supposedly, pronounced as 'ooop' until I worked in London, where there is little difference in vowel pronunciation. e.g. the words in ' Pull, Paul !' sound the same in Thames Estuary English. The idiots also mix up 'bought' and 'brought' ! (a problem never encountered in Leeds or Leith)
If you use the spelling 'up' for the word Southern scum actually pronounce 'ap', you have to resort to the ludricous alternative spelling 'ooop' for the correct pronounciation 'up'.

bingoboy
12th Sep 2002, 20:50
There is a C 172 at Liverpool owned and operated by Southport and Merseyside Aero Club (SMAC). There is a website (try a search). The Club is a very long standing members one (over 25 yrs), totally non-commercial and is quite relaxed. It has several instructors who are members but does not train per se. Have heard of a few doing Night/IMC etc. Look up the website.

READY MESSAGE
14th Sep 2002, 00:34
SMAC Website: http://smac.merseyworld.com

Doesn't really give a lot of info. The a/c is a fine example of a C172. Excellent availablity as well.

formationfoto
14th Sep 2002, 07:06
Poet
Thanks
My intent, as you correctly read, was to make a distinction between the formal 'pro' approach of some schools and the less formal approach of others who are stil pro. Personally I prefer a less formal environment where you can still get a pro service but without the pretensions of a 'pro' outfit. But everyone is different. Barton is a great place and long may it survive all attempts to turn it into an industrial estate or shopping centre.
Hopefully this clarifies the point.