PDA

View Full Version : ATP scheme

Rogi
25th Dec 2001, 19:37
I'm interessed to do my ATPL with at the end a stay of a couple of months in the <a href="http://www.atpacademy.co.uk/fd_atps.htm" target="_blank">ATP-academy</a>

After your 'formation' you come in a holding pool awaiting airline commitment. But have they still the same partnership with the airliners after 11/09 ?
Is there somebody who has experience with the ATP scheme ? It would help me a lot if you shared your experiences and/or thouths. Thank you.

Merry Christmas by the way.

tailscrape
26th Dec 2001, 15:32
A very good scheme. I am a former ATP cadet. Excellent.

The selection is however very intense, and they know what they want.

It is by no means an easy route. Their standards are high....I don't know how I got through!!

Seriously, and without being picky, you should check your spelling. This is exactly the kind of thing that would cause you to not gain a place at ATP. Sorry, I do not mean to be unkind, but first impressions count a lot......

Get the info from the website if you are interested.

Ivan Ivanovich
26th Dec 2001, 16:05
It is a good scheme, however recent changes have affected the whole process. The single sim assessment which completed the selection process for those who succeed that far has now been replaced with a 3 week course costing around £5000.

It's a tough decision to make; you will be loading your debt and there is no guarantee in passing the course or indeed being selected.

It may take 2 or 3 attempts to pass an IR, the MCC is a guaranteed pass, but this Airline Qualification Course is different. Pass or fail, no resit and little point if you are ultimately not selected.

For the record I have been offered a place on the course, but it's a huge gamble. I'm still thinking about it.

Good luck.

pjdj777
27th Dec 2001, 01:13
Just have to agree with Ivan above, I too have got through the selection up to the AQC stage, it is an awful lot of money to part with. However, what have you got to lose by applying? It's always good to go through interviews and selection processes, I'm very pleased I got as far as I have, and will look at the £6k situation in the new year.

Ivan Ivanovich
29th Dec 2001, 14:13
I agree with pjdj. It's an excellent way to rehearse your interview skills and gain exposure to the group activities airlines often employ.

But consider this. If you are offered the AQC not only will you load your debt, which is already likely to be pretty unmanageable by this time, but success at this Phase could mean no income for up to 8 months. Remember this is a training scheme.

You have nothing to lose in applying, but reach Phase 4 and that changes considerably. The rewards are there for the successful, but the gamble is tough. If you fail, then as a certain TV presenter says: "you leave with nothing."

Skyjob
29th Dec 2001, 14:29
Apart from teh interview skills gained as per above, I think it is even more usefull taht this company has many contacts in the aviation industry.

I am an ex-ATP Academy cadet, too, and enjoyed their very good training facilities and instructors untill I got offered a job at one of this country's still growing companies.

A good investment to achieve your ultimate goal! And especially in these times, worth using, since there are so many of us out there without a job. If you have little to no hours of experience on top of that, things may well get fairly difficult to find a job...

Good luck in deciding, I know what I would do!

Rogi
30th Dec 2001, 14:25
Thanks for the advice.
Personally I think it's very good they have high standards. Better a tough selection with a great chance of success at the end.
I think I will have a little flutter.

PS: sorry for my spelling. I know it is important, but on this site I don't mind a lot. Although it's not an excuse, I'm not English.