PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fly from Barton

Danza
9th Sep 2002, 16:18
Hi All,

I'm looking to re-start my PPL after a bit of gap, mainly due to work etc. At the moment I'm based in Liverpool, and Barton seems the best option (away from all the heavies etc.) Just wondering if anyone has the answers to a few questions;

Has anyone else here done a PPL at Barton? and are there any instructors they might recommend?

How are the people there? any experiences good/bad? (I had a look round and everyone seemed nice enough).

Has anyone heard any more rumours about the future of Barton, last I heard the lease from the council (or something like that) was coming up for renewal and nothing had been decided? (Just a bit wary handing over all the money in advance)

Any advice/help would be most appreciated. :)

Ta,
Rob

PPPPP
9th Sep 2002, 19:04
Hi Danza, I'm currently doing a PPL at Barton, and at least one other regular is a member as well.

Instructors of whom I have personal knowledge :
Tony Partakis
Antony Brown
Frances (sorry surname forgotten)

are all excellent. I haven't heard anything at all against any of the others, just don't have first-hand knowledge.
The staff and instructors are extremely friendly and accomodating, the clubhouse isn't massive but has a good bar and serves a good selection of food.
The grass runways are quite bumpy if you're used to tarmac but you soon get acclimatised.
At present the whole facility is on a new three-year lease and beyond that its a bit uncertain.
The 4seaters tend to get booked up very quickly but there also a range of smaller aircraft, including 2 Grob G115s. I'm learning on the Grobs and I'm very impressed, but admittedly don't have a large range of types to compare them with at just 6.5 hours:)

Overall I'm very satisfied with the service I'm getting at Barton, and would indeed recommend them to you.

poetpilot
10th Sep 2002, 09:50
I learnt at Barton years back and it's been my homebase for years. Also (so nobody makes any snide comments) I've been on Committee there so I have a deep knowledge of the place and am a little biased ..... but I recognise its warts as well as its good points.

It's major differences from LPL are as pointed out, the bumpy grass + it's a CLUB. Some love it, some hate it for that.... it's personal preference at the end of the day.

I'd say the current instructors are all good (I reckon the best crop for some years), but when you're learning it's important to find one that you work well with. I'd add to the list above Ross Lyness (who's a old workmate of mine).

If you learn to fly at Barton you'll be very well equipped for short field techniques, which I think makes you safer. Mcr and LPL proximity means that you can still mix with the heavy metal as required. Taxy & wait at the hold times are minimised.

4 seater situation is improving shortly with another C172 joining the fleet for PPL hire before end Sept - this will enable G-BOIL to do more training bookings. Grobs & 152 OK as long as you are little and light.

As said, lease negotiations now in progress, but you really shouldnt worry if you start training now, you should be qualified before any crunch dates.

Most likely scenario? Personal opinion only (I'm not on Committee now by the way so this is an independent view) - landlords will progressively raise rent and move the field to a more commercial operation over the next 10 years. This will affect management & operation of the place, and may hit private owners harder in terms of hangarage & parking. Personally, I dont reckon it will close for a few years yet.

Conclusion - come over, take a trial lesson, see how it looks from the cockpit, and ENJOY! (Just dont get into the politics...)

Danza
10th Sep 2002, 10:36
Thanks for the advice; I had 90% made up my mind to fly from Barton, now it's a definite. The grass strip doesn't bother me, all the flying I've done so far has been off grass (Sibson if anyone is interested).

PPPP - I'll have to send you an e-mail when I start, maybe we can meet up.

Thanks again,
Danza

poetpilot
10th Sep 2002, 11:21
Yeah, happy to meet... just drop me an email at [email protected].

Danza
10th Sep 2002, 11:26
poetpilot , I'm not sure when I'll be starting but I'll be in touch when I do.

Dave Gittins
11th Sep 2002, 14:09
Good heavens Poet and PPPP, what a trip down memory lane you have sent me on. I nearly did a PPL at Barton in about 1991 (up to qual XC) 'til the cash ran out and remember the place with great affection.

Old Gum BOIL features in a few hours in my book (152s were never good loadlifters) and was the last beast I flew there when I came into funds again in about 1998. Mike Partakis was the last instructor I flew with there, although I have fond memories of flying with Phil Dean, Phil Greenfield and even John Casson (and a few others who don't come to mind so easily).

I wholly agree about the short field stuff but I don't think mixing seriously with the heavy metal .. as I did when I did my PPL "again" at Luton .... does any harm at all (other than to the pocket with the waits at the hold or the orbits on base leg over Luton FC's ground while the big boys form an endless stream from distant places). It certainly smartens up the R/T when you have to use 3 frequencies before take off !

I hope - despite the increasingly commercial problems of dealing with Mcr CC - Barton carries on forever.

On a sad day for the world in general and aviation in particular, I needed cheering up.

g-okay
11th Sep 2002, 17:20
Martin Rushbrook, David Duckworth and as for Anthony, well(didnt now he could even fly
:D :D, ive seen his driving(top guy)) Go for the Grobs when i did my PPL, i did it in the 150/152's and they made life easy, did a few hours in G-BOPT and found it harder Martin also recons it is too. So to up your skill level go with the Grob 115. Well done for coming back to Barton, Happy flying.;) ;)

poetpilot
12th Sep 2002, 11:30
Dave G, don't you mean Tony Partakis? Nice guy, a friend of mine!

Viggen
12th Sep 2002, 11:47
Another Barton flyer here ... just finished my PPL there, can recommend the place and the people, partic. Louis Blanchet and Frances Wolff.

knobbygb
12th Sep 2002, 13:21
How is Frances doing? she been there long?

Seems a long time ago, but she sent me for my first solo 12 months ago at Sherburn. Glad to hear she's still around and doing well.

charlie flyer
12th Sep 2002, 21:32
Could not recommend Barton Highly enough.

Just completed my PPL there and am now on about 80hrs and doing my IMC with Francis.

Everyone there is fantastic, lets not forget all the rest of the staff who work there. Like Stacey, Tracey and Dawn.

Whilst Barton may seem relaxed at times to say it is " less pro "
is a big mistake. While Mr D. is a good laugh and very helpful I would not like to be in the shoes of someone who ruined our CFI's day.

Whilst LPL might have 8000' of runway short grass fields are much more fun.
:D

Pandora
16th Sep 2002, 11:15
Barton is fantasic. Do your PPL in a Grob and you will never be worried about landing long on a short strip again. Once you have your PPL there is a good enough social vibe that you will easily find someone else to go flying with and there are plenty of shares in light aircraft going round.

Aaah. Happy memories of convoys of little aeroplanes going to Middleton Sands for an ice-cream. I still listen in when I fly overhead coming down from Sctoland. :)

Viggen
16th Sep 2002, 13:13
Pandora - you're absolutely right, I've just finished mine in G-BOPT. If you're ever in the area I can take you for a flight in on of the Grobs if you fancy a reminisce (ice creams are on you).