PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best airlines to work for?

aviatorgirl72
6th Sep 2002, 21:27
Just wanted to know, what airlines are the most employers, and the nicest to work for.

Personally, I think that my ideal is British Airways, always has been. I hope they start recruiting again soon, because they are the world's favourite!!!:) ;) :)

MR WIBBLE
6th Sep 2002, 23:07
Ah yes the British Airways topic again. Why does everyone think that they are the be-all and end-all of life and flying?

I will make it clear that the closest I have got to working for British Airways was CityFlyer. I have no wish to work for BA either, but I will say I have nothing bad to say about them either.

Shadowpurser
7th Sep 2002, 10:36
At the end of the day we've got strong unions good T&C's (mostly) and the pay eventually is as good as it's gonna get in the UK once you get to LH LHR. I like it and I'm at SH LGW where pay is no way as good as the other fleets - but - it's a very young fleet and we have a damn good laugh and are more relaxed and informal than the others as well. We also talk to the pilots as well!!!!:eek:

I've never worked for any other airline - and so cannot comment on what they are like. However what I can tell you is we have people from pretty much every other airline working for us except Virgin - they seem to be pretty good to work for too.

nojacketsrequired
7th Sep 2002, 20:53
I, just like ShadowPurser have only worked for BA.I have worked both on LH and SH at Heathrow and personally find the crews in general a good laugh and enjoyed the 'youthful' influx from Gatters,so come and join us SP and have a laugh.
I also point out that we speak to the pilots at Heathrow too!!!.

I have worked with many crew who have joined from other airlines who seem to have enjoyed themselves with their previous carriers but enjoy as pointed out by SP the better T&C
at BA.

New entrant pay is what you come in on but again depending on fleet your allowances greatly boost your earnings.

Above all whatever airline you join go out and enjoy the job...
it's fun.
At the end of the day it's not just the airline you work for it's the great mix of crew's you work with.
We all do the same job in different unifoms.

NJR.(Bacardi & Coke loads of ice and lemon).

P.S. If you speak German and truely only want to work for
'the world's favourite airline' you'll have to apply to Lufthansa,
as they are officially hold that title!!!!.

We obviously need bigger a/c again Mr Crocodile Dundee to catch up on pax figures.A330 and A321's if you can put them on your xmas list!!! :D :D

Shadowpurser
8th Sep 2002, 14:06
Would love to join you at the golden runways mate. Unfortunately I couldn't bare to change my name to "Shadowjunior"!!:D

As you also know - nothing like "floating you own boat" so to speak and love being able to influence the crew and passengers from the position I've worked long and hard to obtain.:cool: I'm gonna wait it out down here at LGW until things on that front change.

For anyone reading this and wondering what the hell I'm on about - and also applying to B.A. if we ever do start recruiting - then this is an important peice of info for you all.

BA has many fleets under it's unberella. Now...some of these fleets are subsidaries or have been in the past, and some of these are "mainline" fleets e.g LH LHR / LH LGW / EF LHR / MAN. The advantage of being in a "mainline" fleet is you work under their T&C's which are generally better for cabin crew, also you are allowed to transfer within the various fleets - availability and seniority (which starts from the date you join mainline) permitting.

NOW!!....I work for EF LGW and we used to be a subsidiary (Euro Gatwick and City Flyer). We work under different T&C's to "mainline" - some better, some worse. Probably the 2 most important for any of you wanting to apply to B.A. out there and seeing an job ad for Eurofleet LGW is that you will come across an earning differential between it and Eurofleet LHR because of different T&C's. Transfer to other fleets is the second major difference and does cause some "friction". Using myself as an example:

I joined B.A. in Dec 97 attained Purser in Jun 2001 and am doing ok money wise - I average about £1100 per month take home. Also after being on this fleet for so long I have worked my way up the seniority ladder now "roughly" about 250 out of 1000 crew. Seniortiy is all important in B.A. as it affects things like bidding (which can influence pay - more trips - more cash), transfer (When transfer opportunity comes along it goes from being asked from top of list to bottom until all places are filled). As part of our T&C's at EF LGW we have 50 transfers to EF LHR (not LH fleets) per year - manpower permitting. However in the past year we have seen nearly 300 people transfer, but 2 years running a while ago nobody transfered.

Now if I decide to go this winter I will lose my rank (back to being a junior and losing £3000 off of my basic pay) and my seniortiy (as if I'd just joined the company). Indeed anyone could apply now and get taken on and be more senior than me if I eventually transfer next year. Sounds strange but that is the way of things at the moment. Things may change in the future and we can but hope.

For anyone wanting to fly longhaul then you will be waiting a very long time if you join EF LGW - your looking at doing at the moment doing 5 years at EF LGW - another 5-6 at EF LHR and then on to LH LHR as it looks like LH LGW is finished. This is a guestimate and could get better or WORSE!!!

Hope this helps everyone when applying to us - I love EF LGW as I have said but have no desire to do the same job in a runway another hours drive away. I want LH but also have no wish to lose my seniortiy or my rank in the process. Our union promises things will change but it will take years and B.A. had more pressing things to worry about.

Well see you all flying about europe soon and NJR if you need a helping hand at LGW mate send me a message and I'll do my best for you!!;)