PDA

View Full Version : Do you know of any good hotels with landing strips?

FLY BY NIGHT
6th Sep 2002, 17:38
I'm aware that there are some hotels in France with their own landing strips. Has anyone been to them, and are able to recommend or otherwise...........

A and C
6th Sep 2002, 19:15
The one near Dijon is very good , first class food ,good rooms ,good swimming pool and golf (i dont play so cant be a judge of that).

They are very welcoming and pick you up from the airfield in a rolls-royce ,Mrs A and C loved it.

When I find the website I will post it on this thread.

AerBabe
6th Sep 2002, 19:22
I think the Loire would be the best area to try. Lots of chateaus with huge grounds. Remember seeing one with a private strip for sale in the back of a flying mag last year. Suggested my parents move there, but they decided Dorset was more practical :rolleyes:

Cusco
6th Sep 2002, 21:55
www.chateau-la-chassagne.com

Excellent place 800m strip, Rolls Royce to meet you. Pool horseriding, golf nearby. Very friendly with champagne -bottle-opening -with -a -sword ceremony to greet you.

Went last summer with 5 other a/c.

One word of warning: don't borrow a bike to ride down to the village or the journey back (steeply up hill) will kill you. Borrow a Solex instead.

I'm speaking from bitter experience.

Safe flying.

andrewc
7th Sep 2002, 00:03
Is there nowhere in the UK worth staying at that you can
fly to with a fixed wing plane?

-- Andrew

AerBabe
7th Sep 2002, 07:30
I'm sure there are Andrew... but going to France it becomes more of a trip. The extra flying time makes it worth staying overnight too :)

G-SPOT is Back
7th Sep 2002, 12:30
You could perhaps consider Kirkbride which is about 15 miles west of Carlisle. You actually park the airplane in a special section of the pub/restaurant car park. Not been myself but is a frequent haunt for North West PPL's

Not sure if the place is a hotel. O&BTW the strip is about 600m I beleive, please check before setting off.

Wrong Stuff
7th Sep 2002, 17:08
Sywell has a hotel which looks very interesting- a lovely Art Deco building which looks well kept. Make sure you eat before you go, though. The food's terrible!!

andrewc
7th Sep 2002, 22:53
Aer-Babe,

I'm temporarily restricted to the UK as my plane is N-reg but
my license is UK-JAR PPL...

The US changes have screwed me up a treat, hopefully I'll
sort this out by the end of the year but in the mean time
I'm looking for UK experiences,

-- Andrew

AerBabe
8th Sep 2002, 00:34
Ah, sorry Andrew... I thought you were questionning FBN's reasons for wanting to channel hop :)
Hope your problem gets sorted soon.

slim_slag
8th Sep 2002, 02:11
If you want to fly to where you sleep, and kipping under the wing is too rough, just strap a tent on the back seat. Far more fun than some pretentious hotel with its own landing strip :)

DB6
8th Sep 2002, 08:35
andrewc, Glenforsa on Mull has a hotel overlooking the landing strip. Take some midge cream :eek: . If you haven't flown in the Highlands there are few places more stunning, although possibly not if you are overly worried about the motor stopping.

Spiney Norman
8th Sep 2002, 08:54
Hi andrewc.
A personal favourite is Gigha Island. The strip is 720x60m Grass and the hotel is the only one on the island. It's about 15mins walk or a lift from the hotel. Ownership of the Island changed recently to the Islanders themselves but I can't imagine they'd want to lose the strip. It's within easy reach, (by aeroplane), of Islay, Tiree, Oban etc with some beautiful scenery. No fuel at the strip though.

Spiney

QNH 1013
8th Sep 2002, 10:47
More info in Kirkbride (on the Scottish Border)..

The Hotel is the White Heather Hotel and you can stay overnight, but only at weekends. Last time I enquired, it was shut all week. Their Sunday lunch makes a super trip, and yes you do park your aircraft in the hotel car park amongst the cars. I've seen some quite large twins park in there.
Runway is something like 1200m of tarmac but unlicenced. Landing fee a very reasonable £2, Sunday lunch less than £10 a head unless you go mad. However, make sure you book as it is often busy, and if they have a wedding that weekend, they often won't take extra bookings.
nb, Nearest AVGAS is Carlisle.

Another possibility is Lundy Island, where you can get B&B in the (only) pub. However, it takes planning, and don't even think about it until you can land and t/o safely within <300 meters of rough moorland turf.

foghorn
8th Sep 2002, 11:49
I'm with slim_slag, there's nothing better than throwing a tent in the back of the aircraft and heading off into the blue.

Failing that I have heard excellent stories about chateau le chassagne, however it's a bit pricey at >GBP100 per night :eek:

cheers!
foggy.

andrewc
8th Sep 2002, 13:53
Some good homegrown possibilities there, thanks.

As for roughing it, Mrs Andrewc's mother was a girl guide
pack leader and she (my wife) was dragged on many a
formative camping expedition in her youth.

As a result she has no truck with camping, preferring to
be pampered when she's away from the creature comforts
of home.

Since I'm trying to guide her gently into the pleasures of
aviation I don't think that introducing tents to the
equation would truly help my cause,

-- Andrew

DamienB
8th Sep 2002, 14:49
Sywell has a hotel which looks very interesting- a lovely Art Deco building which looks well kept. Make sure you eat before you go, though. The food's terrible!!

??? Never had a bad meal there. Service can be variable though.

IFollowRoads
9th Sep 2002, 00:04
Ragusa - absolutely fantastic. Stayed at Chassagne a fw nights before, and this knocked it into a cocked hat

http://www.eremodellagiubiliana.it/private_airfield.htm

newswatcher
9th Sep 2002, 08:24
Although not owned by a hotel, I guess the strip at Plockton would give you access to some decent hotels, including the Plockton itself and "The Haven". Might also give you a chance to get some brown trousers!

Circuit Basher
10th Sep 2002, 06:53
Plockton - yes, flown out of Plockton (as SLF) on the Bond helo many years ago. Good memories of Plockton - met Mrs CB there around 15 years ago! Was back there for 5th wedding anniversary this Jun!! As a fixed wing operation, just make sure there aren't any cows on the runway (one of my ex bosses now owns one of the 2 houses up by the strip!!)!!

As newswatcher said earlier, it's not one for the faint hearted (especially in strong wind conditions!!). Certainly not one for night operations!

FLY BY NIGHT
2nd Sep 2005, 10:10
I luckily have access to a cheap C208 and have found that sticking a mattress in the back offers a good alternative to the hotel. I'm not sure about cooking in the back though....

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Sep 2005, 10:49
Try Manor Farm:

http://www.manorfm.com/airstrip.html

Haven't been there myself.

QDM

P.S. FlyByNight -- how cheap is a cheap C208 and how can one get access to one?! I'd love to have a go in a Caravan. Bet it's not possible for plebs....

Also the fellow who owns Sheepwash airfield here in North Devon does B+B. Similarly Gorrel Farm does holiday rentals, although it is 400m, one way and crosswind almost all the time. PM me if you want details.

You could also go into Roserrow in Cornwall (www.devonstrut.co.uk) where I believe they do accommodation.

QDM

Also, the Horse and Hounds hotel here in Eggesford is very good and we have fuel too. Again check the Devon Strut website.

And there\'s a very good hotel at Bolt Head too, I understand.

andrewlt
2nd Sep 2005, 12:26
Vittel in Central NE France has a hotel on the strip and a 5 star restaurant about 200 metres away

Agree about Ragusa Sicily. Best in Europe

Flash0710
5th Sep 2005, 00:50
If you land at skegness you can camp there

Bet you only go once tho.....:E

F.

bletchleytugie
5th Sep 2005, 18:10
If memory serves, its a bit of taxi ride but there is a place adjacent to Dunkeswell called Fishponds - was excellent when I stayed there, but that was a good few years ago now. Might be worth a phone call

Small Rodent Driver
6th Sep 2005, 09:22
Have a look at this one.

Not tried it myself so cant comment. Looks interesting though.

Not sure about a C208 in & out of appx 400mtrs though.

http://www.knitsleymill.co.uk/index.cfm