PDA

View Full Version : Custard and Intimidation at Lanseria

orgasmotron
6th Sep 2002, 16:08
Any one having dealt with the customs and immigration at the Republic of Lanseria lately? Must say, very thorough immigration. After you had another precious space in your passport occupied, suprise !!! Border police at the door to double check that the immigration official did his job, this after being flying out of JIA where they get annoyed by just about anything resembling crew and where customs were a roomer on departure. Must say this have also changed since the SAA sindicates are up and about again. Luckily, only on the odd ocation you get searched and then it is reasonably painless. But try leaving out of JIA where you need binoculars to find a customs official on departure, and arrive at Lanseria. Suddenly you need to have declared everything with a serial number on it in your flight bag or they confiscate it or try to fine you. Well that's how you think you learn. Next time you depart Lanseria, like a good law abiding citizen, you ask the customs official to give you a list of everything you need to declare on a form so that you can re-import it 2 hours later from a flight to FDMS. This all to avoid it being confiscated or taxed. And the answer is...."EEEE no list, just rite all de tings down with e number on it and when you come back we will tell you if it is all rite, eeee" So now as an extra carefull citizen, you record..., the calculator, cellphone, camera, headset, car key etc. You give the list to the official who then asks you whether you are being difficult... And so it carries on. I have found that there behaviour borders on harassment. Most of us are used to this kind of behaviour in Luanda, Kinshasa and all those lovely developing destinations. What a suprise for the pax when they arrive back from the so called developing countries to sunny SA to find how customs at Lanseria quickly ruins your day. Seems like these guys are God and are untouchable. I'd rather deal with the Lagos entrepeneurss, at least his eyes tell you what is it going to cost, it quick and painless, these guys don't even have a price list. I really feel sorry for the oak that has to deal with these scavengers of the SARS on a daily basis. Happy customising !!!:D

contraxdog
8th Sep 2002, 23:10
Well said. I had endless amounts of hassels trying to get my contract tired ass and my personal electronic gadgetry back in to SA have left Via JIA. Maybe some one should explain to the lame asses that this is the 20th century where comitting aviation means that we utilise modern equipment on a mostly regular basis. As well as that you do not export these thing from places like the DRC and Northward Constituancies to SA. Because in these place such things do not exit unless u bring them from SA

Try Pietersburg next time. They seem to understand how things work without getting in to the Lagos League.Helpful friendly and understanding
Greetings from Manono

whodunnit2
9th Sep 2002, 00:43
Howzit Herc!

How is the farm doing? Where is Manono? No more Malabo for you?

Cheers

Vlamgat
12th Sep 2002, 05:16
Yip, definately some problems there at FALA. If only their standards were the same everyday then perhaps one might get used to the abuse, however one never knows what to expect, leading to pre-flight stress, knocking at least one hour off your duty time, costing your company money, and making the pax feel like you have no clue what you are doing!!

My hat off as well to the guys at FAPB, very efficient, professional and friendly, a real breeze, and they understand the term "crew equipment" it's also not that far to walk!!

--------------------------------------------------
aginnintonnixadaykeepsamalariaaway!!
--------------------------------------------------

south coast
16th Sep 2002, 06:15
ah yes....lanseria cunstoms and immigration....what a leasure.....NOT!
on one unfortunate occasion i had the pleasure of helping some friends through the dreaded customs....but we had a plane load of goods to be taken to congo.....there were big arguments about why and for what....and all we got was....'just because'...anyway, the discussion continued into the vertically challenged man's office where i noticed his files behind his desk.....INWADS and OUTWADS is how they were labeled...so with intellect on that level it is not a wander one is unable to have a rational conversation with a logical outcome with such a fellow.....
o well.......