PDA

View Full Version : JAA-PPL completion across national boundaries - is it possible?

iankain
4th Sep 2002, 16:06
For the last year I've been working throughout Europe, living both in the UK and Holland. I've been taking flying lessons (JAA-PPL approved school) in Holland and have got 45 hours total in my logbook. I've also passed (only) one theory exam.

Unfortunately, within the next couple of weeks or so, I will need to move back permanently to the UK. This move will mean that I will not be able to continue taking flying lessons in Holland. Nor will I be in a position to take the remainder of the theory exams in Holland.

I really want to complete my JAA-PPL as soon as possible. I've been told though that I have to finish my training in the country where I started and where I took my JAA Class II medical. (ie Holland which is not an option for me).

Does anyone know if this "rule" is actually true?

If it is, does it mean that even if I go to a JAA-FCL approved school in the US I can't count any of my 45 hours towards getting a licence there?

If it isn't true can someone please tell me what I can actually 'carry-across' to the US school where I will finally end up?

:confused:

GoneWest
4th Sep 2002, 17:56
iankain:

ALL the requirements for licence application need to be done under ONE MEMBER STATE,

The medical, the written examinations, the 25 hours dual training, the 10 hours solo training and the skill test all need to be done under the "authority" of one JAA member state.

Anything outside of the list above can be done anywhere - so, as the application for JAA PPL requires a total flight time of 45 hours you may credit some seven to eight hours of what you have already done.....if you change State.

Assuming you return to UK and have not completed the writtens, the medical, the 25 dual, the 10 solo and the skill test - you will need to start again. The 25 dual, 10 solo and skill test will bring you to something in the region of 37 to 38 hours - hence the remaining shortfall of 7 to 8 hours can be the flights already logged.

ALL requirements are to be met under one member State. (Sorry).

Grim Reaper 14
5th Sep 2002, 07:52
I did most of my training in South Africa, then finished by doing a couple of 'UK acclimatisation lessons' and the GFT at Shoreham. I guess I was just 'lucky'.:(

iankain
5th Sep 2002, 09:45
Yeah - it seems like I am pretty (read:very) unlucky. I still don't quite understand all of this - if the US schools are approved by the JAA for flight training, why is it that the CAA then adds its own official seal of approval? I guess this must be the reason why people from the UK can go to the US and complete their JAA-PPL, having previously undertaken training in the UK...It seems unfair since other Europeans like me cannot use their training in the same way, even though they've attended at JAR-FCL approved school albeit in continental Europe.

Am I right in thinking this is how it all works?

:rolleyes:

GoneWest
5th Sep 2002, 16:42
Am I right in thinking this is how it all works?

Yeah - pretty much.

The schools in the USA are, effectively, UK schools - as are some in South Africa.

So - the UK schools, the USA schools and the South African schools are all "one member state".

The rest of JAA land doesn't recognise flight training outside of JAA terra-firma - so the Dutch hours will only be valid (until licence issue) in Holland.

It's not the CAA's fault (for once). 'Dems da rules of JAA - all in one member state.

StrateandLevel
5th Sep 2002, 17:24
Try this for size:

Take the exams, medical and skill test in the UK and apply for the licence. If they don't give it to you go for a Regulation 6 appeal.

WestWind1950
5th Sep 2002, 20:44
the whole purpose of JAR-FCL is a common training within Europe which also gets recognised among member states. It was said from the beginning, that when JAR-FCL is in force, you could get your medical in one state, take lessons in another, take the written in still another, then the practical in still another!! Of course that's extreme, but that was the theory behind the whole thing! So, in my opinion, all the training done and the part of the exam taken already SHOULD be 100% accepted. If not, then let's dumb this stupid JAR-FCL and keep the old system!! :mad:

keep flying!

WestWind1950

Irv
6th Sep 2002, 22:06
I seem to remember spotting some procedure up for discussion by the JAA just around the time when we implemented - it was was 'permission to change state during training' or words to that effect. The process was specifically designed for people who started training in one state and then moved permanently to another. It was designed to dissuade people from State hopping for fun with a holiday here and a holiday there, but to allow real cases of transfer. Dunno if it was adopted, but I do remember it being up for discussion.

NotAnotherUsername
6th Sep 2002, 22:34
Sounds like you're stuck....

Would it really be out of the question to take a week or two off, go to NL and finish it all off there??

After all, you've spent about £4k so far and it would seem a real shame to have to start again. You're talking about going to the US to finish off the licence, maybe would be easier to go to Holland.

Hope it doesn't sound too uncharitable!