PDA

View Full Version : Differences Training

Spamcan defender
4th Sep 2002, 14:53
Hi all, Just been trawling through the JAR's :eek: :eek: to answer a question for a mate but strangely enough :rolleyes: no joy.
IS there a specified minimum amount of hours 'differences training' required for, say, conversion from a C152 to an Arrow?? Or is it at the discretion of the FTO conducting the training??

Ay help would be great.:) :)

Final 3 Greens
4th Sep 2002, 15:26
SD

I am sure an instructor will quote the relevant JAR paras, but as I understand it the training will be agreed in each particular case and therefore will be a matter for discussion with the flying school offering the conversion (and certifying it.)

Moving from a 152 to an Arrow is not an enromous leap, but there are enough tricky systems such as gear/alternate gear extension, fuel management (boost pump and L/R tank selection), CS prop etc. to make it wsie to invest in a sensible amount of training.

Also the 152 will cruise at 85-90kts, whereas the Arrow will be about 35kts quicker, so its good to have some backup whilst getting used to covering the ground at a more rapid pace.

capt_sparky
4th Sep 2002, 17:45
There's no set minimum for differences training - your instructor will sign you off once they are satisfied you can deal with the complexities they are training you for (VP, turbo, etc.).

Converting from a PA28 to PA28R took me about 2.5 hours.

FlyingForFun
5th Sep 2002, 09:27
In fact, I don't think there's any requirement to even fly as part of the differences training. I believe it can all be done on the ground. Although I think I'd question the wisdom of any instructor who would be happy to sign you off for differences training without flying with you....

FFF
------------

FormationFlyer
5th Sep 2002, 10:20
There *is* a requirement to fly as the instructor must sign the flight(s) in your logbook to confirm the training has been given and a satisfactory standard reached.

Taildragger - expect about 5 hours
Rectractable + vp prop - exact about 2 hours

Remember if you dont fly a variant aircraft (tailwheel, vp, retractable, pressurisation, turbo/supercharged eng) for 2 years then the differences training lapses and you must get a proficiency check to revalidate the diff training.

Hope this helps

SlipSlider
5th Sep 2002, 15:26
FF, I'm intrigued by your comment about differences training lapsing after two years.

I've seen a clear statement on an FAQ site that exactly the opposite is the case ie that revalidation of the SEP (land) covers all types / variants for which you have had differences training even if no time has been flown on that type in the qualifying period. Thats aside from being current from an insurance, common-sense, or good airmanship perspective of course!

Also, how does differences training and the lapsing of same apply to what I believe are called "grandfather rights" on a CAA (pre-JAR) licence?

Slip
:confused:

Ace Rimmer
5th Sep 2002, 15:49
Well for a kick off you'll find it more fun in an Arrer than a 150 – more knobs to twiddle and buttons to push. Oh yeah and a damn sight more comfy too especially if you are of Rimmer dimensions (6'3 and a svelte 16 stone).
The only real trick to the Arrer is leaving just a smidgin of power on until late in the flare (drops like a brick dirtied up at idle). The other thing is it will probably seem like a ridiculously fast pace to blat around the circut to start with (I usually reckon on 100kt downwind, 90 on base, 80 on final slowing to 70 over the fence) . If the circuit's busy you'll be introduced to the sport of final approach slalom trying to avoid going up the jacksy of a 152 or traumahawk (good excercise for the thighs though). Still it shouldn't take more than three to five hours (some places have a minimum of five before they sign you off) to get the hang of it.

FlyingForFun
5th Sep 2002, 16:11
SlipSlider, I agree with your post. I also thought that currency on any single-engined piston aircraft applies for all other single-engine piston aircraft, even more complex types, so long as you've had the appropriate difference training.

FFF
---------------

Stan Evil
7th Sep 2002, 12:39
Formation Flyer - JAR-FCL 1.235 (c) makes it clear that the 2 year validity period does not apply to single engine piston (SEP) aircraft. As far as whether flying is required, the same JAR says:

"Differences training requires additional knowledge and training on an appropriate training device or the aeroplane."

Read into that what you like.:confused: