PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licence

llesson
5th Dec 2001, 22:16
What are the chances off actually being able to stay in the US to work if you get an FAA CPL. Does US immigration welcome it??? any info please.

Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Dec 2001, 22:43
llesson,

If enter the U.S. on a J-1 Visa, you will be able to train and work.

The J-1 Visa will allow you to stay in the U.S. for a total of two years. When you complete all our FAA rating up to and including Flight Instructor, you will be able to Instruct for the remainder of your Visa. i.e. It takes you 6 months to get to Flight Instructor, you can instruct for 18 months. Total stay in the U.S. cannot exceed two years.

(I know I repeated myself several times in the prior paragraph, but people get confused over the rules for the J-1 Visa, so I try to state it as many ways as possible to make sure people understand it clearly.)

Two References for you:

1. TIPS FOR U.S. VISAS: Exchange Visitors (http://travel.state.gov/visa;exchange.html)

2. U.S. Consulate General Perth (http://www.usis-australia.gov/perth/)

Good Luck,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

tomvanmigem
6th Dec 2001, 16:28
Hello all,

I hold a JAA CPL, having flown A320 in Europe for about two years. I would like to convert my JAA frozen ATPL into a FAA ATPL license. What, in your experience, is the quickest way to do so?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Dec 2001, 20:22
Cheeks,

Since you have a JAA frozen ATP and not a full ATPL I cannot assume you have 1500 flight hours.

If you do have 1500 Hours, all you need is an FAA Medical, FAA ATP Written Exam, FAA Pratical Exam in a Multi Engine Aircraft.

If you do not meet the mininum hours for the FAA ATP, you will need to get the hours first, since the FAA does not have a Frozen ATP program for people with less than 1500 hours.

The FAR's that apply are listed below.

Federal Avaition Regulations Part 61 Subpart G -- Airline Transport Pilots

61.153 Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 23 years of age;

(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft;

(c) Be of good moral character;

(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:

(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and an instrument rating;

(2) Meet the military experience requirements under § 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or

(3) Hold either a foreign airline transport pilot or foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating, without limitations, issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;

(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of § 61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;

(g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in § 61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and

(h) Comply with the sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

61.159 Aeronautical experience: Airplane category rating.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:

(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time.

(2) 100 hours of night flight time.

(3) 75 hours of instrument flight time, in actual or simulated instrument conditions, subject to the following:

(i) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(3)(ii) of this section, an applicant may not receive credit for more than a total of 25 hours of simulated instrument time in a flight simulator or flight training device.

(ii) A maximum of 50 hours of training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(3) of this section if the training was accomplished in a course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

(iii) Training in a flight simulator or flight training device must be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device, representing an airplane.

(4) 250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof, which includes at least --

(i) 100 hours of cross-country flight time; and

(ii) 25 hours of night flight time.

(5) Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section may be obtained in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents an airplane, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained in an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

(b) A person who has performed at least 20 night takeoffs and landings to a full stop may substitute each additional night takeoff and landing to a full stop for 1 hour of night flight time to satisfy the requirements of paragraph (a)(2) of this section; however, not more than 25 hours of night flight time may be credited in this manner.

(c) A commercial pilot may credit the following second-in-command flight time or flight-engineer flight time toward the 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot required by paragraph (a) of this section:

(1) Second-in-command time, provided the time is acquired in an airplane --

(i) Required to have more than one pilot flight crewmember by the airplane's flight manual, type certificate, or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted;

(ii) Engaged in operations under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter for which a second in command is required; or

(iii) That is required by the operating rules of this chapter to have more than one pilot flight crewmember.

(2) Flight-engineer time, provided the time --

(i) Is acquired in an airplane required to have a flight engineer by the airplane's flight manual or type certificate;

(ii) Is acquired while engaged in operations under part 121 of this chapter for which a flight engineer is required;

(iii) Is acquired while the person is participating in a pilot training program approved under part 121 of this chapter; and

(iv) Does not exceed more than 1 hour for each 3 hours of flight engineer flight time for a total credited time of no more than 500 hours.

(d) An applicant may be issued an airline transport pilot certificate with the endorsement, "Holder does not meet the pilot in command aeronautical experience requirements of ICAO," as prescribed by Article 39 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation, if the applicant:

(1) Credits second-in-command or flight-engineer time under paragraph (c) of this section toward the 1,500 hours total flight time requirement of paragraph (a) of this section;

(2) Does not have at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including no more than 50 percent of his or her second-in-command time and none of his or her flight-engineer time; and

(3) Otherwise meets the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section.

(e) When the applicant specified in paragraph (d) of this section presents satisfactory evidence of the accumulation of 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot including no more than 50 percent of his or her second-in-command flight time and none of his or her flight-engineer time, the applicant is entitled to an airline transport pilot certificate without the endorsement prescribed in that paragraph.

Good Luck,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

Bailed Out
7th Dec 2001, 03:03
And once you've done all that and converted/spent all your pounds (£) to dollars($) you're not a US citizen and don't qualify so go home.

Once back home you can save some more and come back again but the answer is the same.

The word "Sucker" was invented by the US air training market!!!

411A
7th Dec 2001, 09:04
...unless you are married to an American...otherwise BailedOut is correct.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Dec 2001, 10:07
Bailed Out,

Actually that is incorrect. You will be able to fly US Registered Aircraft anywhere in the world. We have had pilots from all over the world come to our school to obtain an FAA ATP Rating. The chief reason is the company they work for is switching their aircraft over to US Registry. Our largest concentration of pilots looking for FAA ATP Ratings fly for companies/airlines operating in Africa.

Happy Flying,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

tomvanmigem
7th Dec 2001, 12:00
Thanks for the info, Richard. I have indeed more than 1500h total, and all the other requirements of aeonautical experience seem to be accounted for.

What about the A320 type rating I received in Europe: Is it necessary to have an endorsement in my logbook, or is it sufficient to show the paperwork given by the training school? Must I re-train on an officially FAA recognised training device?

What are the chances of finding a job on the jet in the US market nowadays, even if you do comply to all of the conversion requirements and are an American citizen?
The only companies that have A320s are currently undergoing blood-letting of their employees...

[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: AirBoozer ]

Julian
7th Dec 2001, 12:08
Naples Air is right, more and more people are looking into the N Reg for their aircraft and undertaking FAA ratings as they are much cheaper (evem more so if you are prepared to go to the US and sit them).

IE:
JAA IR : £10,000
FAA IR, $3,300 or £2,300

Seems the word sucker can swing both ways :o)

Have fun (whichever licence you have paid for)

Julian.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Dec 2001, 17:54
AirBoozer,

The FAA ATP Rating is different from all the other FAA Ratings in that you do not need an Instructors signoff to take the Practical Exam.

My Suggestion is to get a copy of the Gliem ATP Written Test book and start studying. The book contains all the Questions on the FAA ATP Test along with all the Answers. It also tells you the theory behind each question and why each of the three choices for answers are right or wrong. American Aviation Services (AAS) is a place you can take the FAA written in Europe. They are closing their doors very soon. (First of the year I believe.) If you could take your written in Europe, that will shorten the time needed in the US to prepare for the ATP Rating.

As for the FAA Medical, if you already have a JAA Medical, you will have no trouble with the FAA Medical.

For the practical Exam, you will need to spend several hours preparing for the checkride. Most of your time will be spent getting used to the twin engine aircraft you will use for the exam and getting familiar with the area. You can even take the checkride in a Piper Seminole, which is one of the easiest twin trainers to master.

In order to work in the U.S. you would need a Work Visa. Right now the Major Airlines are laying off pilots, so it does not look good for the near future.

Take Care,

Naples Air Center, Inc.