PDA

View Full Version : Another JAR currency question

CAVOK
3rd Sep 2002, 21:20
There could be entire bulletin boards dedicated just to this subject, but can someone just remind me.....

I a 100 hrs PPL, just completing a retractable, wobbly prop rating, (TB20) so I have only flown the trusty old club Warriors once in the past three months. I'd like to go for a jaunt next week with a friend in a club PA28.

From memory, to take passengers, I have to do 3 take-offs and landings within the last 90 days. I have been doing lots of these during training on the TB20, but only one in a PA28. Am I current on the PA28, or do I have to do a couple of circuits before my mate can climb aboard?

CAVOK:confused:

englishal
4th Sep 2002, 05:19
TB20 is a SE aircraft, so no worries, you're ok. Complex is not a 'rating'as such but an endorsement.

cheers
EA:)

Pronto
4th Sep 2002, 10:29
As Englishal points out, your rating (issued by the CAA) is for Single Engine Landplanes. Provided that you've done three landings and takeoffs in the last 90 days you are "current" and able to carry passengers.

The differences training you're doing on the TB20 for VP prop and retractable undercarriage is simply that, differences training which must be signed off in your logbook - nothing more.

Whether your club will want you to take a check ride in a Warrior after a 3 month lay off from flying them is another question. You may also wish to consider whether it would be sensible to do so, before committing yourself to flight with a friend aboard.

Pronto

CAVOK
4th Sep 2002, 19:59
Thanks EnglishAl and Pronto.

I remember Human Factors telling me that a pilot will always revert to his original training. I did a flight in the PA28 about 3 weeks ago and it was like going home - so familiar (only forgot one thing - Carb Heat during downwind checks). After a couple of flights in the PA28, I will then be dangerous in the TB20.

It must always be a challenge for those that try to stay current on multiple types. You can always recognise the rental car by the way the driver indicates using the windscreen wipers. Just rather larger consequences in a plane.

CAVOK

AerBabe
4th Sep 2002, 21:56
I was in a similar position this week. I've been flying the club's Cherokee for the last few months, and then the Chipmunk for a couple of weeks. But I wanted to fly the C152 I'd trained on today. I hadn't flown it for almost three months, even though I did have 3 t/o and lnd in those three months...

Anyway, decided I would be happier to get back in it with an instructor before flying with a friend today. So went out last night for 30 mins of intense EFATOs, PFLs, and glide approaches... Well worth the practise, even though, according to the rules, it wasn't necessary :)

RotorHorn
5th Sep 2002, 07:50
I'm with 'Babe.

Can't help to just do a few circuits etc. to get comfortable again. After all - if you did this in a Robbo:

only forgot one thing - Carb Heat during downwind checks

you might be landing a lot sooner than you intended... :eek: