PDA

View Full Version : AFI Rating in US???

tEkNo
2nd Sep 2002, 20:10
Hi people,

Well I've been reading a few of the posts regarding FI "state side".

It seems fairly conclusive that after having gained one frozen ATPL, I'll need to add an AFI to that if I'm going to hold on to it.

Having been to the states a few years ago to hrs build, can anyone tell me of or perhaps recommend any CAA/JAR approved training establishments in and around Florida?

I've asked around my "local" club where I did the basics, but no one there has much experience or info.

Reason I am looking to go to the US is purely financial, you will all know just how much self sponsored training is here!!

Once again, any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers :)

BEagle
2nd Sep 2002, 21:43
See http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SRG_FCL_ApprovedFTOs.pdf . This lists all organisations approved by the CAA to conduct FI training. Print off the list, then cross-refer to their addresses in the same document.

A couple of points:

How employable do you think you'll really be in the UK with an instructor rating obtained Stateside?

There's no such thing as an 'AFI'. Neither is there a civil 'QFI' rating. You're either an FI or an FI(Restricted).

GoneWest
2nd Sep 2002, 22:01
How employable do you think you'll really be in the UK with an instructor rating obtained Stateside?

If it's a JAA qualification, taken at a CAA approved centre, flown with a JAA FIC and tested with a JAA FIE - then I should think as employable as anybody else.

Having said all that - I agree with the principle that the rating would be better overall value if done in the UK.

tEkNo
5th Sep 2002, 21:11
BEagle

Just what I've been looking for, much appreciated, thanks.

As said, looking at the US is purely financial. I will be investigating the prospects of employment here and would have thought that any CAA/JAR rating gained "state side" would not adversely effect my chances of employment here.

Once again, thanks for both comments :)

Katanaman
8th Sep 2002, 08:36
I see no disadvantage of doing the FI(A) in the states. From memory only IFT and EFT in the states have the approval.

There is currently an FI(E) in the states (Mr Gill), so that completes the picture.

I did mine about 3 years ago in the states and have always been employed, now with a large UK integrated FTO as a CPL / IR instructor.

If you do goto the states, go with your eyes open. After all the travelling and additional expenses, there really is nothing in it between the UK and the USA for the FI(A) rating.

I really enjoyed the course and once you get it, hopefully you'll find some work and you won't need to pay for your hours anymore.

Good luck.

carbonfibre
26th Sep 2002, 09:49
Tekno

Be aware regarding the Visa rules!!!!! see the wannabees section under NAC

You will need an M1 now and that can be obtained through EFT at FT pierce but IFTA be careful.

Honesty hurts but you would have to watch your wallet, the flight, accomadation , test fees etc, with your current knowledge of aviation it would probably work out more expensive than doing it here. I completed my CPL there and with everything thrown in rather than doing it at my local school it worked out more expensive.

So its the old catch im afraid if you had done PPL, hours build CPL, AFI there then i would have said cheaper but not in your current position. Oh yeah and beware of hurricanes and afternoon weather

Good luck :) :D :cool: