PDA

View Full Version : Jar Ops Definition Of Two Runways

JUMBO400
2nd Sep 2002, 17:39
Anybody know what the defiiation of a Airfield with two runways (with regard fuel poloicy)do the runways have to be completely separate or can they intersect

Captain Stable
3rd Sep 2002, 16:47
No, they may not intersect, and must be separated by a minimum distance - am away from reference books right now, so I can't quote it - sorry.

The reason for the no-intersection rule is, of course, the possibility of someone doing a wheels-up right on the intersection, thus closing both runways just about when you want to use the airfield.

TheMagus
3rd Sep 2002, 17:26
They may intersect. Below is a part quote from JAR-OPS.

(i) They are separate landing surfaces which may overlay or cross such that if one of the runways is blocked, it will not prevent the planned type of operations on the other runway; and
(ii) Each of the landing surfaces has a separate approach procedure based on a separate aid.

If you accept crossing runways or not is, of course, very dependent on your view of life.

4PON4PIN
4th Sep 2002, 09:35
You would be surprised at the number of people who are under the same misapprehension as Cap'n S.
TheMagus wins this one, but I would point out the importance of the linking word - and - as both conditions (i and ii) must be met.
Since this topic was raised in the context of Company Fuel Policy I would add a coupla paras and hope they don't sound too sanctimonious, they're certainly not meant to be.

Some months ago, the thread on use of contingency fuel prior to getting airborne was a classic example of how so many would appear not to fully understand their own company fuel policy. There were umpty ump "definitive" statements which were totally opposite to one another.
Perhaps it's not a bad idea to re-read one's Company fuel policy at a quiet moment to ensure full understanding of what you can or cannot legally do. If in doubt, then why not ask Flt ops or Trng Dept? Airmanship then dictates when you elect to use the options afforded by Company Policy.
Poorly worded or badly punctuated text in company manuals can so easily lead to misunderstanding. :confused: ;)

Captain Stable
4th Sep 2002, 09:40
Blimey! I stand corrected - my apologies, Ladies & Gentlemen. How one could guarantee that, if one runway is blocked, the other is not eludes me, nonetheless.

4PON4PIN
4th Sep 2002, 13:17
OOps! Sorry Captain Stable, did not intend to upset/offend yourself or any other folk..(not my style). Sincere apologies if I have. As you said you didn't have your books to hand and I am guessing that:
a) 50% 'ish of pilots would have agreed with you.
b) It is not the sort of "rivetting fact" that one retains uppermost in one's mind midst all the other "stuff" you guys/gals have to draw upon in your everyday line of work.
c) reason for conditions are based on a percentage probability of an accident/incident making both r/w's inoperable at the same time, when required in extremis, is so remote as to be considered an "acceptable risk".

Pax Manifest!!

TheMagus
4th Sep 2002, 14:17
A long runway with another crossing near its end might be useable but I agree with Captain Stable: How can it be guaranteed?
...unless you need 1000 metres of a 3000 metre runway.

If, however, someone does something expensive on one runway it's quite likely some debris will end up on the other, regardless of where they cross.

quid
4th Sep 2002, 15:06
I'm with a US based 121 carrier. Our Ops. Specs. (CO55), has the provisions for "different" or "separate" runways depending on a few conditions.

"Different" runways may be the same piece of concrete, ie. Rwy 27 and Rwy 9. "Separate" runways must be two different pieces of concrete.

Captain Stable
5th Sep 2002, 08:27
No offence taken, 4PON :)

quid, must those different pieces of concrete be separated, or may they intersect in FAA regs?

quid
5th Sep 2002, 14:07
CS-

I just got off the phone with both my POI and head of my dispatch training department. They both agree that the runways MAY intersect. (But they're both going to research the question to make sure). They're both busy folks, so I'm not holding my breath. :)

sharpshot
5th Sep 2002, 14:56
I hope you won't mind a Ground Ops comment.
If the two are not separated and something comes down wheels up or breaks up, you are likely to find re-declared distances on what - if anything remains operational.

Had experience of two wheels up on an intersecting runway, albeit one short and another past the intersection. If weather had necessitated CAT III, you would have all been diverting. (obstacles only just outside 90m).

Again, if something breaks up, you may well end up with debris in the alternate runway's clear & graded area or obstacles in the LSA. Not helpful if your calcs have not allowed for Murphy's to rear itself!