PDA

View Full Version : Ibiza (or other Balearic) experiences anyone?

IFollowRoads
1st Sep 2002, 19:06
A friend just suggested to me we do a trip to Ibiza (his wife has some sort of accomodation there) - and having absolutely zero experience of flying in Spain, let alone to an island with no nearby alternates merits a little research.

Anyone got any useful experiences, information, or links out there?

TIA

172 driver
4th Sep 2002, 11:48
I visited Ibiza a couple of years ago and it was very straightforward. You have to spend some of the sea crossing quite low level, but we had a splendid flight from Valencia (Ibiza wasn't where we'd planned to be going originally). Friendly ATC and a beautiful approach to the airfield from the North, over the middle if the island.

The only real warning I would give is to ensure that you have accomodation, as the island was pretty full when we arrived, but I see that you have that sorted already.

General comments on flying in Spain: airspace simple and easy to understand. ATC try to be helpful but may ask you to do odd things and you should be prepared to ask for alternatives if you don't like what they first suggest. (Someone once said to me that Spain was the only country where he felt ATC was trying to kill him! I felt doubtful about that but soon understood what he meant.)

All flights require a flight plan filed in advance but this isn't really an issue and you get very used to being very quick with the flight plan form.

Strongly recommend you give it a go - great scenery, nice people, fun flying!

Any specific questions? Feel free to ask.

IFollowRoads
9th Sep 2002, 00:10
Thanks for the ideas and notes - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

We haven't decided a time or duration yet, but having missed the Spanish FIR bit out all together so far, will gladly take any hints or advice - thanks again

IFR