PDA

View Full Version : OK, so how do I get a PERMIT?!?

pytton
31st Aug 2002, 10:04
Hello there!

Just wondering if anyone of you could help me out a bit? One year ago I found out that I was being fooled by my countries CAA. I'm a citizen of Poland and for over ten years I had been convinced by every medical examiner here that my eyesight is totally disqualifying for flying. One year ago I passed an FAA Class I medical. I just didn't know what to say, since I've always wanted to fly and always received the same anwser here in Poland - according to our medical examiners, I wasn't even fit to fly gliders! OK, so my uncorrected vision is no good, I admit that, but with my glasses on (+4 and +4,75), I have 20/20 vision. I'm 26 now and trying to put myself on a "fast track". A thing hard to be done if you have no money in your pocket. Fortunately, I've found somebody willing to arrange a student loan for me - all I have to do is make sure I can repay it.
Here's where my trouble starts - the aviation industry in Poland is really small and I can't hope to get a job here which would enable me to pay off the student loan I need to take to get my ratings. On the other hand, as a citizen of Poland, I need a work permit to fly outside my home country. Does anybody know how to get one? I don't really care where I would have to go to finally make my dream come true, and I'm once again stuck with bureaucrats telling me I'm not allowed to fly. I've already heard about J-1 visas in the US, but that's just a 2-year deal, and I need to know how to get a permit to land a job for 25 years (that's how long it takes to pay off the loan). How can a non-EU citizen work his way up to a legal job in the EU, US, Canada, Australia, New Zeland, South Africa or any other place in the world where I could communicate in English? Does anyone of you know real-life stories of people getting work permits abroad? All comments welcome!

May the Force be with You!

redsnail
31st Aug 2002, 14:03
For Australia you'll have to emigrate. It's not too difficult so long as you have the "points". Check out the dept of immigration (http://www.immi.gov.au) for more info. CASA (http://www.casa.gov.au) has the info you need for the licence/medical.
Good luck.
Remember though, Oz has a lot of pilots looking for work. Same old story. If you are prepared to work hard (and travel- which you obviously are) you should do ok.
Top tip re the points system. They seem to like computer skills as an add on to your qualifications. It can make the difference of several years in the process.